Storing Canning Jars

Category Kitchen
When not in use canning jars need to be stored until next season. This is a guide about storing canning jars.

In my kitchen, I have placed my mason jar collection on top of my kitchen cupboards. I like glass. I try to keep things off the counters unless it's food/fruit in glass bowls. I find if I put the fruit on the counters my kids will eat it.

By Tracey from MI

Why don't canning jar manufacturers still put jars in the old type boxes? I am an old lady and we always stacked our canned goods in the closet sometimes four deep. You can't do that with these shrink wrapped cases. We never lost any of our canned goods due to the stacking, so that can't be the reason. I understand that it is probably cheaper to do it this way, but cheaper for the manufacturer isn't always better for the consumer. I've looked for just the right size boxes on-line, but they are never the right size or are so terribly expensive.

By Dottie C.

Answers

See if you can get some free boxes at your local grocery store instead of buying boxes for stacking your canned goods.

In addition to the cost savings, most manufacturers now are trying to be more environmentally-conscious...which means reducing the packaging that normally ends up in landfills.

That said, I second MCW's idea. :)

The liquor store has free various sized boxes with bottle dividers in them - take a jar along to get the perfect fit.

If you can find some free boxes from the supermarket you could stuff them with wadded newspaper so they don't get banged up. Or you might cut some cardboard down to size and make your own dividers. Another option might be to find some of those stackable plastic tubs that fit your jars. They'd be sturdy and would last a long time.