Baking in Canning Jars

This concept is rather simple. Instead of a large pie, you're making a miniature one.

Line your canning jar with preferred dough, leaving enough at the top for a fold-over crust.

Fill will desired pie filling (apple, cherry, etc.).

Cut out a circle of dough with a glass (this will sit on top of the pie filling). Make slits in dough for steam release.

Pinch and seal the top edges.

Jar lids can be replaced and the pies can be frozen. Be sure to thaw completely before baking.

To bake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place individual jars in a muffin tin. Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.

Let cool about 20 minutes. These pies can be eaten in the jar or inverted onto a plate.

By April from Albany, GA

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Great for gifts!

4 More Solutions

Take your favorite recipe, Zucchini bread, applesauce raisins, carrot, spice cake, friendship breads, and carrot cake. You can even use box mixes. All you need to do is make your recipe.

Baking in canning jars

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to bake bread or cake in a canning jar? When do you put the lid on, before or after baking?

Debra from Hampton, Tenn

Answers

By Tina (Guest Post)

Hi I have baked applesauce cake in a jar and banan bread. You put the lid on after baking. The heat from the jars wiill seal the can. You will hear the jars start popping as the cake cools then they are sealed. Only fill your jars half full with batter and grease them really well. I use a pastry brush. Use wide mouth jars only.

Tina at Mommys Kitchen
www.tinamommyx3.blogspot.com/

you bake the item first, then while still warm, screw on lid to seal....here is an item I made for gifts last year and was greatly appreciated!!
PUMPKIN BREAD-IN-A-JAR
2-2/3 c sugar 3-1/2 c flour 2/3 c shortening
4 eggs 2/3 c buttermilk 1 can pumpkin
1 t baking powder 2 t soda 1 t salt
1-1/2 t pumpkin-pie spice 2/3 c chopped nuts

Cream sugar, shortening, then add eggs, mix. Add buttermilk, mix. Add pumpkin, mix. Add dry ingredients, stir in nuts. Place 1 c batter in 7 well-greased pint wide-mouth jars. Wipe batter from rim. Put jars on baking sheet and bake 2 325 for 55 min, till toothpix comes
out clean. Wipe rims, put hot seals & rings on hot jars. Will last several months without refrigeration.

All you need to do is take your favorite recipe,
Zucchini bread, applesauce raisins, spice cake, friendship breads, and carrot cake. You can even use box mixes.
All you need to do is make your recipe.
Oil and flour your wide mouth Mason jars,
Fill the jar 2/3 full,

Baking time is according to the recipe, the trick here is the second you take it out of the oven put on the dome & ban, let cool completely (on occasion I have had to trim a tasty sliver of the top to get the dome on)
They are equal to 2-cupcake's,
Figure out how many jars you will need to use for the cup cake recipe.
I have had them last almost a year in the cupboard.
If I need frosting, I have the individual packages of cream cheese, powdered sugar and a couple drops of lemon juice.

I just went to collect more jars out of my cupboards and discovered 4 jars of cake, I made them in 1988 and to my amazement the cake was still moist, and even tasted good and no I did not eat them, they went to the chickens.

Answer this Question

I have baked cakes in wide mouth jars, but have forgotten oven temperature. Does anyone know how?

By Grace C, NY

Answers

Whenever I bake in wide mouth jars I just follow the time and temp according to the recipe, Grease and flour the inside of the jar fill the jar 2/3 full Bake after they come out of the oven and put the lid on immediately.

Cool on a rack and after the dome pops tighten the band down. No need for refrigeration just store in the covered and a wide mouth pint jar is equal to 2 cupcakes.

Answer this Question
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & DessertsMay 18, 2013
🎄
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Baking-in-Canning-Jars.html