Baking in Canning Jars

Baking in Canning Jars
Making cakes and pies in Mason style canning jars is a wonderful way to make great gifts or individual serving desserts. This is a guide about baking in canning jars.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Great gifts!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of 8 (1 pint) straight sided, wide mouth canning jars.

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, bananas, and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Stir in nuts.

Pour mixture into greased wide mouth pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter. Do not put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.

Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.

As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.

Unsealed jars should be eaten or kept in refrigerator for up to a week. Sealed jars can be stored in a cool dry place for up to 6 weeks. Makes 8 (1 pint) jars

Servings: 24
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
45 Minutes Cooking Time

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

This concept is rather simple. Instead of a large pie, you're making a miniature one.

Line your canning jar with preferred dough, leaving enough at the top for a fold-over crust.

Fill will desired pie filling (apple, cherry, etc.).

Cut out a circle of dough with a glass (this will sit on top of the pie filling). Make slits in dough for steam release.

Pinch and seal the top edges.

Jar lids can be replaced and the pies can be frozen. Be sure to thaw completely before baking.

To bake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place individual jars in a muffin tin. Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.

Let cool about 20 minutes. These pies can be eaten in the jar or inverted onto a plate.

By April from Albany, GA

Take your favorite recipe, Zucchini bread, applesauce raisins, carrot, spice cake, friendship breads, and carrot cake. You can even use box mixes. All you need to do is make your recipe.

Oil and flour your wide mouth pint Mason jars and fill the jar 2/3 full with your recipe. Baking time is according to the recipe, the trick here is the second you take it out of the oven put on the dome and band, let cool completely (on occasion I have had to trim a tasty sliver of the top to get the dome on)

They are equal to 2 cupcakes. Figure out how many jars you will need to use for a cup cake with the recipe.

I have had them last almost a year in the cupboard. If I need frosting, I have the individual packages of cream cheese, powdered sugar and a couple drops of lemon juice.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove, CA

Does anyone know how to bake bread or cake in a canning jar? When do you put the lid on, before or after baking?

Debra from Hampton, Tenn

Hi I have baked applesauce cake in a jar and banan bread. You put the lid on after baking. The heat from the jars wiill seal the can. You will hear the jars start popping as the cake cools then they are sealed. Only fill your jars half full with batter and grease them really well. I use a pastry brush. Use wide mouth jars only.

<b>Tina at Mommys Kitchen</b>

http://www.tina  x3.blogspot.com/

you bake the item first, then while still warm, screw on lid to seal....here is an item I made for gifts last year and was greatly appreciated!!

PUMPKIN BREAD-IN-A-JAR

2-2/3 c sugar 3-1/2 c flour 2/3 c shortening

4 eggs 2/3 c buttermilk 1 can pumpkin

1 t baking powder 2 t soda 1 t salt

1-1/2 t pumpkin-pie spice 2/3 c chopped nuts

Cream sugar, shortening, then add eggs, mix. Add buttermilk, mix. Add pumpkin, mix. Add dry ingredients, stir in nuts. Place 1 c batter in 7 well-greased pint wide-mouth jars. Wipe batter from rim. Put jars on baking sheet and bake 2 325 for 55 min, till toothpix comes

out clean. Wipe rims, put hot seals & rings on hot jars. Will last several months without refrigeration.

All you need to do is take your favorite recipe,

Zucchini bread, applesauce raisins, spice cake, friendship breads, and carrot cake. You can even use box mixes.

All you need to do is make your recipe.

Oil and flour your wide mouth Mason jars,

Fill the jar 2/3 full,

Baking time is according to the recipe, the trick here is the second you take it out of the oven put on the dome & ban, let cool completely (on occasion I have had to trim a tasty sliver of the top to get the dome on)

They are equal to 2-cupcake's,

Figure out how many jars you will need to use for the cup cake recipe.

I have had them last almost a year in the cupboard.

If I need frosting, I have the individual packages of cream cheese, powdered sugar and a couple drops of lemon juice.

I just went to collect more jars out of my cupboards and discovered 4 jars of cake, I made them in 1988 and to my amazement the cake was still moist, and even tasted good and no I did not eat them, they went to the chickens.

I have baked cakes in wide mouth jars, but have forgotten oven temperature. Does anyone know how?

By Grace C, NY

Whenever I bake in wide mouth jars I just follow the time and temp according to the recipe, Grease and flour the inside of the jar fill the jar 2/3 full Bake after they come out of the oven and put the lid on immediately.

Cool on a rack and after the dome pops tighten the band down. No need for refrigeration just store in the covered and a wide mouth pint jar is equal to 2 cupcakes.