Bake in Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars

Editor's Note: Although this technique popular for many generations, it is now considered unsafe. Mason jars are not designed for the oven and can break during baking.

Only oven-safe jars should be used. And baked goods should be eaten within a few days, not stored for weeks or months. Use caution if you attempt this.Take your favorite recipe, Zucchini bread, applesauce raisins, carrot, spice cake, friendship breads, and carrot cake. You can even use box mixes. All you need to do is make your recipe.Oil and flour your wide mouth pint Mason jars and fill the jar 2/3 full with your recipe. Baking time is according to the recipe, the trick here is the second you take it out of the oven put on the dome and band, let cool completely (on occasion I have had to trim a tasty sliver of the top to get the dome on)They are equal to 2 cupcakes. Figure out how many jars you will need to use for a cup cake with the recipe.By Babbie from Lemon Grove, CA

By Karen (Guest Post)

This sounds like a great deal. I have to bake next week, and believe me, I'll be trying it. With the temps in the 90's and the humidity at 90% I don't bake too often in the summer. This way we can have fresh baked items for the rest of the summer without the heat from the stove. Thank you again.

I did this a couple times. The breads came out great, initially tasted really good, and the jars sealed. But after a couple of months, when I'd open a jar, the breads tasted musty--kind of like moldy, but there was no evidence of mold.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did I do something wrong? The breads were definitely done. I think after sealing, they sweated in the jar, producing excessively 'moist' bread.

By Catherine in TX (Guest Post)

Maybe this is a silly question, but how do you get it out of the jar to eat? Or do you just eat it out of the jar?

I heard of a family that annually went to Alaska with lots of empty Mason jars to pack Salmon to bring back home. After years of doing this she learned of the idea of "bottle bread" and began filling all those jars with bread for her trips North. All of it was eaten by the locals, the bottles cleaned, and filled with Salmon for the trip home.

To answer the questions on getting it out of the jar, you use wide mouth pints their straight up and down, they do not curve in.

The question about the mold, the only time I had an odd taste was when I over flour the jar, I have never had any mold on any of my items, even the 2 I found after 5 years, no I didn't eat them.

Maybe it has something to do with the density of the bread/cake or the temperature it is stored at, but mine developed a moldy taste after a relatively short time too. (But, in the summer, it gets over 100 degrees for a period of time here.)

Anyway, if yours keep, these are great for lunches and trips, not to mention, gifts.

Please, please don't ever do this!!! It's so dangerous. The musty or moldy taste is mold.

There is no acceptable way to can baked goods of any kind. Check with your county extension office or nchfp.uga.edu/.../publications_usda.html

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingAugust 2, 2007
🐛
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf87595026.tip.html