Making Pie in a Jar
Pie in a jar has become a popular way of serving it in recent years. Baking pie in a jar is a cute way to serve one serving of pie. This is a page about making pie in a jar.
Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.
Pie in a jar is a great way to make mini, one serving pies. Bake these right away or stick them in the freezer to bake at a later date. That way you'll always have as a nice treat for yourself or for unexpected guests. Bake up a bunch of them and bring them to a potluck or serve them at your next party.
- pie dough
- pie filling
- 1/2 pint mason jars
- Begin by making pie dough (or use store bought pie dough). Here are some pie dough recipes:
Basic Pie Dough
- Make your favorite pie filling. If you are not feeling up to it, buy canned pie filling.
Here are some pie recipes:
- Clean and dry your canning jars. I used the 1/2 pint wide mouth jars. These are the best for freezing and for putting in the oven. No need to worry about the jars breaking as long as you leave some expansion room. The wide mouth jars are made to go in the freezer.
- I think these are super cute served right from the jar, so there is no need to grease the jar first. If you think you want to remove the pies from the jar, then you should grease them with butter before putting the dough in them.
Take little pieces of pie dough and press them into the jar. Continue to do this until the entire jar is surrounded with pie dough. You dont even have to roll out your dough to do this, just pull off a little pieces and press them down. Although, I prefer to roll out my dough and then pull of pieces from that to fill the jar. I felt like I was able to get a more consistent thickness with this.
- Pour your pie filling into each jar. Be sure to only fill it about 3/4 full, to leave room for expansion when freezing and also so it wont overflow when baking.
- Top your pie. I did a few different tops.
One I rolled out and cut a heart out, as the vent and placed the cut out heart on top slightly off set from where it was cut out.
I also tried doing a mini lattice, which ended up being my favorite.
- Last, I tried a crumble topping for when I ran out of dough.
- On any dough topped pies, crimp the edges using a fork, to join together the top and bottom of the crust.
One dough made 6 Jars, 4 if them with tops and 2 with crumble topping. I think that if I had done lattice on all of them I could have topped all six that way.
- Put the lid on the pie and freeze.
- Bake at 375 for about 50 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. If you are baking these immediately, rather than freezing them, they will bake in about 40 minutes.
Keep an eye on your crust, you may need to but tin foil over the edges if you find it is browning too fast.
July 3, 20130 found this helpful
Pie in a jar is a great way to make mini, one serving pies. Bake these right away or stick them in the freezer to bake at a later date. View the full recipe here: Pie in a Jar
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
September 28, 20110 found this helpful
Can you make pies in a jar, seal with lids, and leave on the shelf like cake or bread in a jar? Anyone ever tried it?
Answer this Question...
September 29, 20110 found this helpful
I am not sure how to do a "whole" pie but I make pie-filling in a jar.
I just canned blueberry pie filling in a jar.
The website for blueberry, apple, strawberry, cherry and peach is http://pickyour boutcanning.htm.
Scroll down to pie fillings. Hope you might enjoy this site, I sure do.
December 6, 20160 found this helpful
This is a page about banana cream pie in a jar. A cute way to single serve this American traditional pie is in glass jars.
December 2, 20160 found this helpful
This is a page about making apple crisp in a jar. Using your favorite recipe you can make these single serving apple crisps in their own small glass jars.
December 1, 20160 found this helpful
This is a page about making cherry crisp in a jar. If you love making pies in a jar, here is one for the cherry pie fan in your family.