Athlete's Foot Remedies

We went to the Podiatrist for my husband's diabetic feet problems and she gave us this paper, so I am sharing it with you!

Soaks for Athletes Foot Fungus:

• 1 cup white or yellow vinegar
  • 1 gallon Lukewarm Water (16 cups.)
  • 1 lid full of bleach (just a capful, no more than this or your feet could get burned)

Soak feet one to two times a day for 15 to 20 minutes for two weeks.

Lamisil, and over the counter cream and spray, works best for foot fungus. Use Lamisil cream for feet and heels twice a day for two weeks. Only use lamisil Spray in between the toes, never creams between toes.

Spray shoes out with Lysol in the white or the blue can, daily. Use anti-fungal powder in shoes daily (choose one of these powders: Desinex, Tinactin, Tolnaftate, Zeabsorb AF).

You must treat shower curtains, bathtubs, and rugs with Lysol and or powders above.

Cotton socks are better than nylon or stockings.

Topical anti-fungal creams and lotions are NEVER effective on toenail fungus. There is prescription polish called Penlac that can be used daily in bad cases. Tea tree oil and lavender oil can be used for toenail fungus but mainly just keep them clean and cut down since they will grow upward and thick instead of outward like the rest of the toenails.

Oral Antifungals like Lamisil or Sporo nox are expensive and need blood work. They might damage the liver.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

Seems odd that she would have you mixing a acid with bleach. I've soaked in bleach/water (no vinegar) before for athlete's foot, and the toenail fungus disappeared too. But I wasn't so careful about measuring the bleach and probably used a stronger solution.

Robin, more than four years after her death, I finally understand why my mother's toenails looked the way they did. Thanks!

I have tried most of the home remedies, and finally found something that worked: I clean my feet several times a day with full strength hydrogen peroxide. Then I apply a layer of Blue Star Ointment which contains salicylic acid that forces the skin to reproduce quickly and peel off eventually. Next, I put a powder mixture into my shoes and socks that is made of 2 parts corn starch, 1 part baking soda and 1/2 part boric acid (yes the kind that kills bugs).

It immediately reduced the thickening of the skin on the instep, heel, ball of foot and around the heel. Whenever I feel the pain from the digging of the fungus into the skin of my feet, I put more powder into my socks, if it is not convenient to do the cleaning ritual mentioned above. I try to clean my feet and apply clean socks at least 3 to 4 times a day, especially first thing in the morning and last at night. The powder quickly eliminated the fungus near my toes. I make sure to tilt the socks around so that the powder gets onto all of the surfaces inside the sock that will touch the fungus on my feet.

Also, you must clean everything you have touched with your hands or feet with bleach - repeatedly! This includes computer, doorknobs, carpeting, bathroom, etc. You must also alternate between different shoes to allow them to dry out, which kills the fungus. I also put pillows into the dryer for 1/2 hour so the heat would kill the fungus. After applying the ointment to your feet, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly. I use liquid comet which is a chlorine base, and slightly abrasive.

Athlete's Foot
Remedies for Athlete's Foot
Health & Beauty Home RemediesSeptember 20, 2010
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Sewing Machine Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Presser Foot Stuck Up
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder