Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Natural Weed Killer

To get rid of dandelions, spray straight vinegar into the center of each plant and in about two weeks they will all be dead and gone. Any that haven't disappeared will be dead and can be dug/pulled out. (There shouldn't be any). This really worked for me and they have never grown back in the area I treated. ONLY in the center of the plant, not on the grass.

Source: The Vinegar Book

By katesnanna from Brisbane, Australia

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Eileen M. [53]04/11/2011

Yes, vinegar will work as an herbicide. Be very careful not to get it on any plants that you want to keep, it will kill them as well. It is not a pre-emergent herbicide, so you will have to re-spray to get new weed plants, but it is somewhat easier on the environment.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Natural Weed Killer

My neighbor has weeds that are so high that they are starting to cover my fence. I have two big dogs and don't want them sick.

Archive: Natural Weed Killer

Ingredients

• 1 litre (35 fl. oz) of boiling water (hot tap water will also work, but not quite as well)
  • 5 tsp. vinegar
  • 6 tsp. salt (regular table salt)
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. dishwasher (machine) detergent (powder is better than liquid, but liquid will work ok)

Directions

Mix all together. Take care with hot water.

Natural Weed Killers are simple substances with a direct and obvious action. They destroy plant life for a short period. They are substances encountered naturally, but in small quantities. Their presence is well-known and normally not harmful. But when applied in larger doses the results are usually obvious in a very short time. As always, these methods need due caution so please wear protective eye/hand/body protection.

This weed killer acts at the point they are used. After treatment their damaging effect is dissipated. Vinegar is made of Acetic Acid along with other weak organic acids. It has become a popular "cottage garden" alternative for those who dislike modern herbicides. This mixture works by disrupting membranes and causing leakage of plant cells. The damage to plants appears rapidly and even quicker on hot days. The acid is not around long enough to have any lasting effect on earthworms, soil invertebrates or organic matter breakdown. The good news is that it won't cause any lasting or apparent harm to pets or children.

This mixture can kill: Canadian Thistle, Clover, Dandelion, Foxtail, Ivy Leaf, Milkweed, Pigweed, Poison Hemlock, Ragweed, Quackgrass, Bluegrass, plus mosses, liverworts, and more. However it is not selective and harms all the plants it touches so take care.

Excess salt poisons the soil. Many important organisms: bacteria, fungi, earthworms; will be killed by salinity. It will eventually wash out, even so I would not use it on land intended for cultivating plants. For some gardeners it is an option to consider with drives and gravel areas where plants are not intended to grow and where run off can be contained. NB: Remember, salt is not biodegradable, so overuse use will eventually be detrimental to surrounding areas.

By Joycie from Maitland, NSW, Australia

RE: Natural Weed Killer

We use borax to kill weeds and grass on our brick patio. Works great even on nutgrass and doesn't seem to spread it's effect to the grass off the patio and lasts for months. You can water it in and it won't bother your animals, we have cats and dogs who haven't gotten sick by us using borax yet. (10/28/2007)

By piki viki

RE: Bamboo banishing

To the folks who have the bamboo dilemma, you've definitely got a tenacious plant you're dealing with. Bamboo, as you've come to know it a super tough resilient plant that is tougher than a Timex watch, because of its incredibly expansive root system. When you chop bamboo down to the ground and dig it up to a depth of 1 ft. and even twice as wide as the plant was on the surface, you've only slowed it down.

What you did is scratch the surface. The plant has so much more stored energy in its root system which will allow it to pop up again in a matter of weeks. When it does pop back up and reaches sunlight, it's storing even more energy and growing it's root system. The only effective way to kill bamboo is to exhaust the hell out of it by digging and digging and digging until the root system has had enough. No sunlight, no energy, but it will take repeated "timely" attempts to finally win the battle. I've done it myself so trust me, if you're more stubborn than the bamboo, you'll win. Good luck. (01/26/2008)

By Rob H.

RE: Natural Weed Killer

What ever happened to good old fashioned pulling them out? Would love to do that, but extensive arthritis prevents that. Thanks to all the natural weedkiller remedies. (02/21/2008)

By Maz

Re:Vinegar

Will vinegar also kill any flowers that you may accidentally get an overspray on? Editor's Note: Yes, it could. So make sure to rinse them off if you get some on them. (05/19/2008)

By CindyW

RE: Natural Weed Killer

I have heard that Listerine kills weeds. So if you are able to snag some through rebates or whatever, then try it. (06/03/2008)

By Mare

Archive: Natural Weed Killer

I live in Colorado and we are trying to Xeriscape our backyard to cut down on water usage. I have several beds in progress with perennials and hand pull the weeds there, but I have laid down bark mulch as ground cover on the remaining yard areas.

I have used Round-up (gasp!) in the past to control weeds, but hate the chemical idea so am looking for something natural to spray on the yard area that won't seep into soil and hurt plants in my beds.

By mkelly1 from Canon City, CO

RE: Natural Weed Killer

Use either type of vinegar. The stronger kinds they sell at Plant Nurseries, or you can heat up regular vinegar on the stove to almost boiling. If you use vinegar, nothing will grow there for many years. The vinegar can be put into a plant sprayer. For a natural weeder, if you want to re-plant the area in the near future, use boiling water! Believe it or not, it sounds simple but it works! (08/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Archive: Natural Weed Killer

I am looking for a weed killer for garden moss.

By Neil

RE: Natural Weed Killer

Try the Moss and Algae Killer (its cost is about $13.00-$14.00), if you don't know where to find it, look it up on Google, or ask your local Wal-mart, Kmart, etc. Hope this helps! (03/20/2010)

By hannahmallory23

Archive: Natural Weed Killer

Use a mixture of vinegar and water, 1/2 and 1/2, to kill weeds. But be careful, its something like Roundup and will kill grass or any other shrubs. Use it on weeds in blocks, patios, etc. Just spray and walk away. NO chemicals - how much greener can you get?

By Jody from Brick, NJ

RE: Natural Weed Killer

I have read this before too and I love the idea it is safe/green! I have a Jack Russell who loves to dig up worms and moles. I also like using rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to zap flies. It kills them. I also spray it around my doors to deter spiders..yuck. (06/16/2010)

By teejerball

RE: Natural Weed Killer

RE: Natural Weed Killer

I am going to try this, as my weeds are taking over and I hate the chemicals. (06/16/2010)

By Allison5