MuffinsBreads

Coffee Shop Corn Muffins

This is one of my family's favorite. I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can advise me. I would like to use mini-muffin pans but don't know if the temperature should be changed and also what the bake time should be. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup oil

Directions

In large bowl, combine first six ingredients.In another bowl, beat egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.Fill 3/4 full greased or paper-lined muffin cups.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.

Instead of using buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill with milk to measure one cup. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Cool about 5-8 minutes.

For high rising, rounded tops on muffins like you see in the bakeries, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. As soon as you put the muffins into the oven, decrease the temperature to whatever the recipe calls for. Remember to decrease the baking time.

This may take a bit of watching and practice but the result will be worth it. The increased temperature causes the muffins to rise quickly giving them that nice dome-shaped top.

By mkymlp from PA

In my experience the bake time and temp are the same. I've never known anything to bake faster in the little pans.

I never change the oven temp. for the mini pans. Check the time before the large ones would be done (I usually tip one out with a knife to see whether the bottom is brown) I agree that they take about the same time. Those do have a lot of sugar in them, so they might brown faster.

We all seem to have different experiences. Mine is that you don't change the temperature, but that the baking time WILL be reduced! Perhaps you will just have to experiment with your oven using small batches.

In making your own buttermilk, it says to let cool 5-8 minutes, but does not say anything about heating it up. Could you help me with this please? Thank You, GBY MLP89