Puppy Has Soft Stool

I've had my pit bull puppy for about 3 weeks now. He's going on 3 months old. Ever since I got him, I've fed him adult food (small dry food). Why isn't his poop dry? People have told me that it is because he needs puppy food. Is that true?

By Sophia from Vista, CA

He could be sick. Better call your vet and find out what is causing it. Many pups get diarrhea when they are young and need shots to get better or some kind of medication.

Just like human babies need baby food; puppies need puppy food. Their digestive systems aren't fully ready to handle adult dog food until 6-9 months. If he has loose stools/diarrhea get him to the vet.

I agree with BKLander about the pup being too young to eat adult food. Adult food doesn't have the nutrients nor is the pup ready to digest the adult dog food.

At his age, dry food is fine, but it needs to be a puppy formula. Also agree with all the posters saying a trip to the vet needs to happen; it could be anything from the dog not absorbing nutrients properly from being on adult food to worms to any one of a number of diseases.

If the stool's been runny more than three days, you're also risking dehydration, which can be serious.

pug looking sad.
Dog With Soft Stool
Pets Dogs HealthJune 30, 2010
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Puppy With Blood in its Stool
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green