Dog With Soft Stool

Category Health
If your dog's stool is soft, finding the cause will help find a remedy or define the need for medical treatment. This is a guide about dog with soft stool.

My year old Scottie has solid stool at first, then it turns to very loose (sometimes diarrhea). I was told to use 100% pumpkin (1 Tbsp. per 50 lbs), WOW it worked like magic. He loved it and this morning his stool was firm and dry.

By Kacy from Granite Bay, CA

We have a 3 year old Sheltie dog named Bonnie. The problem is she has bouts of really yucky, slimy-mucusy (sorry a bit gross I know) poo. She is fed the same thing each day, no scraps from the table, no dairy, no red meat as that definitely gets "things-moving".

Her diet consists of chicken, veggies, and rice with a chicken and rice based dry food mixed in. Why, when she is fed the same food does she get ichy pooh? It must "burn" a bit too, as I see her scooting around on her bottom on the lawn and sometimes on our carpet. Any help would be appreciated.

By hyslop from New Zealand

Answers

You need to take the dog and a poo sample to the vet. It sounds like she has an infection or a parasite. The scooting is from itching not burning.

Dogs are rarely as sensitive as pet food companies would like you to believe. They want you to be afraid to buy another kind of food so you keep buying their brand.

It sounds like your dog has had this infection for a long time. I'd go easy on the diet until the antibiotics or anti -parasitic kick in but then you can introduce a little variation. How interested in food and healthy would you be if you ate the same thing everyday of your life?

Be careful where you let the dog drink and sniff. They may love to sniff everyone elses business but that's how they pick up bad bugs. Good luck.

You need to get to the vet. These types of things aren't for a wait and get answers, we aren't vets. Health is important, and it may be simple or not so simple.

What a beautiful dog! Please see your vet asap. This may be serious and deadly, or not. Bottom line if you love your pet don't let it suffer. Also could this condition affect other animals, even humans?

Anonymous

I know someone is going to shake a finger at me and say I am being mean or uncaring but any reputable, non-greedy vet office will tell you this:

Since this is something that happens randomly, and if there are no other symptoms, when this does happen just take a fresh stool sample to the vet and have them check it before taking your dog in. They will know that day if there is a serious problem requiring your baby to be brought in. Doing this will save the money of an actual dog visit and save stress for your poochie for a visit that might not even be at all neccessary.

And you should also ask any of the technicians, or the vet, if what you're feeding your dog is a proper and balanced diet.

She is beautiful! I also had a sheltie named Bonnie that was named after a collie named Bonnie. Bonnie needs to be taken to the vet. I had a collie with poo like that. He was never right but lived to a ripe old age. Good luck. Everything will be fine. There is also a vet online that deals in holistic and common medicines. His name is Dr. Jones.

Sounds like she needs her anal glands cleaned. No biggie-Would tell you how-but, you don't seem to know about-call your vet's office @ ask.

My dog had similar symptoms and she was diagnosed with chronic irritable bowel syndrome. Whenever she starts getting it, I just start her on two meds that you can get inexpensively over the internet. She takes the medications for 5 days and then she quits taking it until the next bout.

My dog gave birth to 5 puppies and now the dog has loose stool. What should I do?

By ddaz1265 from Glendale, AZ

Answers

Our vet had us give our dog a combination of plain hamburger and plain rice mixed together. Do not add any seasonings and drain as much grease as you can from the burger. Do not let your dog have any other dog food or treats for a couple of days. We had to do this for 5 days one time until our dog got better.

I don't know much about dogs, but this will at least be worth a try. My Horse had diarrhea for over a year. This happened after worming him (he was old & had many problems). We had 3 vets for horses come out to see him & none could find the cause or cure him. Finally I decided to buy a bottle of liquid Acidophilus from the health food store. I poured the whole bottle down his throat & after 2 days his diarrhea went away. I was THRILLED!

Since then, when my cat has had a loose stool, I give him a bit of plain yogurt (about a teaspoon for a cat) daily until he's back to normal. This started when my cat was on antibiotics or after worming, but now, I give him a tiny bit of plain yogurt every day (about half a teaspoon). It might not work for your dog, & if her system is off from having the puppies, it surely won't hurt. Just put about a Tablespoon of plain yogurt into her food twice a day or whenever you feed her. The natural pro-biotics of plain yogurt might help regulate her again. It might take about 3 days to start working.

* Be sure the yogurt says "contains live cultures"!

I belong to some dog sledding groups that swear by canned pumpkin, not the spiced kind, for both diarrhea and constipation. I have had some success with it, but I think going the Acidophilus route is good. There are combinations that have Acidophilus plus other enzymes that are even better. But please remember, since she's a new mom feeding a litter, she will dehydrate very quickly. Move fast on this and get her to the vet if it doesn't resolve shortly.

The tip that Hiddenvalley gave is a good one, except for the fact that your dog is nursing puppies. She has to eat her dog food for the nutrition to get to the pups.
I have always used Pepto Bismol on my dogs. The dosage depends of course on her size. But I've used it on dogs whether they were nursing or not and never once had a problem.
Actually tho, your best bet would be to talk to your vet. Ask about the Pepto, and also ask about the method that Hiddenvalley suggested. It's better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully you can get your answers from him over the phone.

I just recently experienced the exact same issue with my pooch. She has 12 puppies. My Vet suggested Pepto and cottage cheese to help restore the natural balance of bacteria. I gave mine pepto tablets. Good luck.

If the Mom hasn't been seen by the vet since giving birth--it's time for a post-whelp checkup. Loose stool can be the result of a lot of minor things, but major problems, as well.

Just like a human mother needs that once-over after having a baby to ensure everything is back to where it needs to be--so does your dog.

Canned plain pumpkin will help. I got this tip here long ago and then the other day. Martha Stewart had vet Dr. Marty on and he said it works. Also add plain white rice to her food. It will help too.

I've had my pit bull puppy for about 3 weeks now. He's going on 3 months old. Ever since I got him, I've fed him adult food (small dry food). Why isn't his poop dry? People have told me that it is because he needs puppy food. Is that true?

By Sophia from Vista, CA

I have 5 week old puppies that I have raised with their mother. The thing is the mother is not cleaning their bottom and they are constantly poopy. I have just put them on dry dog food but they still nurse off of there mom. I don't understand why their stools aren't hardening? Any suggestions?

By shimamom from Spokane, WA

Answers

You may be giving them dry dog food too soon if the mother is still nursing her pups. Any change in diet will create runny stools.

I found an answer for you on this site....I hope it helps...

Racer

http://answers.  419174237AA4ILNu

The mother will slowly stop nursing her puppies to wean them. At that time, is when I usually used baby cereal watered down with milk. Then, I would add some dogfood also softened with milk on a pie plate so they could "get use to " thicker food. I thought of it as a process to get their bellys ready for adult food. As the mother doesn't let them nurse as long as she used to, the puppies are wanting more and adjusted quite well at the change. Have you wormed the puppies? Most puppies have worms from their mothers milk. They should be wormed 3 times in the first 6 weeks. Although I remember their stool was always soft. This is what I did with our dalmation puppies several years ago. Hope this helps you.

My 2 month old puppy has soft stool, what do I do?

Vanessa from Bronx, NY

Answers

You can also try a small amount of the pink pepto-bismol. I have bred for years, and use it 1st, if it doesn't help, then try everything else. I always keep a bottle on hand. It can be mixed with wet food, (which I don't recommend while there is loose bowels, unless they won't eat dry).

With dry food just mix a small spoon of it in a little water & mix dry in it. Usually works great. Sometimes it has to be given every meal for a couple of days. You should definitely take your baby to the Vet & have her completely checked out. For both of your benefits. May save you a lot of time & trouble & expense in the future. Good Luck. Enjoy your baby, they grow up so fast!

I would try a mixture of ground meat and rice. I had a sheltie that would get that once in awhile and that's what we gave her. But don't give it continually, it could bind her so as soon as you see improvement stop.

She should only have been weaned a short while ago. Her system needs some time to adjust. Unless she has diarhea give her a little time. A little rice is a good idea, too.

I found blood in my 10 Year old Miniature Poodle's diarrhea poo. I fed my dog a little left over beef taco mince yesterday, Tuesday 15th Sept 2015 and the following day, Wednesday 16th Sept. 2015, she had diarrhea. This is not uncommon with some things she eats, the food just doesn't agree with her stomach, unless it's her own food. But I noticed for the first time that there is a little bit of blood in her poo this time. I'm wondering if it's because of the mince?

She hasn't been to the vet in about 3/4 years or wormed and vaccinated either, my dad doesn't listen to me. Could that be the cause? I'm trying to get my dad to get her an emergency vet check-up and have been for the last 2 Years. He's an idiot. I don't want to come home and find her dead. :(

We have 3 dogs. 2 are rare hunting dogs and one of them has started to lose weight. He is eating and drinking fine, but his stool is soft. This happened to him during the summer and I took him to the vet who ran a bunch of tests. Everything came back normal, but he was treated for round and hook worms just incase and was placed on antibiotics. This temporarily solved the problem, however now we are facing it yet again. I'm trying to avoid another trip to the vet. I recently tried rice with hamburger and broth, but it did not show signs of improving so he is now back to his normal dry food. Any suggestions would be appreciated. He is also UTD on shots.

By Crystal

My 7 week old, American Bulldog Boxer cross, puppy Bronx seemed to have a bigger appetite. Earlier today as my husband was making him dry food with warm water, Bronx decided to take 2 bites of my older dog Blue's food. He did it 3x today back to back which is the most he has eaten today. Now he is pooping a lot more. However his poo is normally a solid small line and now it has become watery and solid. Could this be bad in reference to his stool changing?

By losoya