Dog Has Soft Stool With Mucus

We have a 3 year old Sheltie dog named Bonnie. The problem is she has bouts of really yucky, slimy-mucusy (sorry a bit gross I know) poo. She is fed the same thing each day, no scraps from the table, no dairy, no red meat as that definitely gets "things-moving".

Her diet consists of chicken, veggies, and rice with a chicken and rice based dry food mixed in. Why, when she is fed the same food does she get ichy pooh? It must "burn" a bit too, as I see her scooting around on her bottom on the lawn and sometimes on our carpet. Any help would be appreciated.

By hyslop from New Zealand

You need to take the dog and a poo sample to the vet. It sounds like she has an infection or a parasite. The scooting is from itching not burning.

Dogs are rarely as sensitive as pet food companies would like you to believe. They want you to be afraid to buy another kind of food so you keep buying their brand.

It sounds like your dog has had this infection for a long time. I'd go easy on the diet until the antibiotics or anti -parasitic kick in but then you can introduce a little variation. How interested in food and healthy would you be if you ate the same thing everyday of your life?

Be careful where you let the dog drink and sniff. They may love to sniff everyone elses business but that's how they pick up bad bugs. Good luck.

It could be this Anal sacs, or anal glands, carry some smelly fluid and occasionally need to be expressed, or emptied. Many dogs express them by themselves every time they poop  the sacs are around a dog's anus  but occasionally the sacs fill with fluid and your dog needs some help to release the fluid.

You need to get to the vet. These types of things aren't for a wait and get answers, we aren't vets. Health is important, and it may be simple or not so simple.

What a beautiful dog! Please see your vet asap. This may be serious and deadly, or not. Bottom line if you love your pet don't let it suffer. Also could this condition affect other animals, even humans?

Anonymous

I know someone is going to shake a finger at me and say I am being mean or uncaring but any reputable, non-greedy vet office will tell you this:

Since this is something that happens randomly, and if there are no other symptoms, when this does happen just take a fresh stool sample to the vet and have them check it before taking your dog in. They will know that day if there is a serious problem requiring your baby to be brought in. Doing this will save the money of an actual dog visit and save stress for your poochie for a visit that might not even be at all neccessary.

And you should also ask any of the technicians, or the vet, if what you're feeding your dog is a proper and balanced diet.

She is beautiful! I also had a sheltie named Bonnie that was named after a collie named Bonnie. Bonnie needs to be taken to the vet. I had a collie with poo like that. He was never right but lived to a ripe old age. Good luck. Everything will be fine. There is also a vet online that deals in holistic and common medicines. His name is Dr. Jones.

Sounds like she needs her anal glands cleaned. No biggie-Would tell you how-but, you don't seem to know about-call your vet's office @ ask.

My dog had similar symptoms and she was diagnosed with chronic irritable bowel syndrome. Whenever she starts getting it, I just start her on two meds that you can get inexpensively over the internet. She takes the medications for 5 days and then she quits taking it until the next bout.

I agree with all the others, you do need to take a sample to the vet to rule out parasites. My dog has been doing this for more than a year. We have discovered that he has allergies and they seem to cause him irritable bowl, a red sore anus to be exact. This last time he was actually pooping blood. It kinda flipped us out. So we have started mixing a tablespoon of yogurt with live cultures into his food and he was doing better. Then I decided to make my own yogurt and I used my starter from a batch that had 6 live cultures in it.

The very first day he had this yogurt nixed with his food he had a solid stool and it was brown! Oh, my we were so happy. The vet is even fine with it all..Now keep in mind we give Duvall a tablespoon at each feeding, once in the morning and again in late afternoon. He is an 80 lb dog. So give it a try, it won't hurt the dog as it is only yogurt. He is happier and more active, I think he feels better.

Good luck with your baby. Laura in SW Florida

What a pretty pup! I don't really think that impacted anal glands are going to create mucousy stools--though scooting the butt can be a symptom of that. I'd take a stool sample--and the dog--to the vet ASAP; sounds like a parasite.

Our dog as stress induces colitis with mucusy stool. We have to give her a mild sedative during storms to keep her from getting a bull-blown bout of colitis. if it is not daily, stress could be a factor. Our golden Maggie, gets it even when it rains only hard enough to make a noise on the roof. For her it doesn't take much to stress her out (result of her being a rescue dog I guess!).

With no disrespect you need to talk to a veterinarian.

Bowel movements tell a lot about health. If your dog has this constantly, it could be a sign of a gastrointestinal disorder or disease. It's worth at least a call to the vet.