Reuse a Bird Bath Base

Recycle that base from your broken bird bath! Many times I have rescued the bottom portions of those broken concrete bird baths that are out for the trash.

Just turn them over and sink the narrow top end into the ground by using a narrow bladed shovel or a post hole digger until it is sitting stable in the dirt. The solid concrete bases can be used as a plant display stand or you can put a large clay pot saucer on the top for a bird bath.

The hollow bird bath bases can be used for a plant holder by sitting the pot in the base, or fill the base with potting soil and planting a plant in it, or, you can put a clay pot saucer on the top for a bird bath. Use your imagination!

You can also paint or decorate the base before you place it in the ground to give your garden extra zing.

By MaryCrane from Orange Park, FL

I have plastic pans from a stay in hospital - and lots of birds - and white rocks paving the drive to my carport.

I loaded a pan with the rocks to within one and one half inches from the top and filled with water. Took the birds awhile to get used to it but now they put on a show for me every day. Algae grows in the pan and on the rocks, of course. The birds don't mind -- after all, they regularly poop in the water too.

I refill with a hose at least once a day -- and also flush out debris, poop, feathers, etc. So enjoyable to watch different breeds squabble when bathing.

I love this idea! My neighbor has been trying to give me a base for a long time and I didn't know what to do with it. I hope they didn't get rid of it yet.

You can also easily just buy the top part at most any garden store.

I love my birdbaths What I mean I love watching the birds bath,they have great time,they try chase each other out so funny.When one breaks I just move one to other doesn't work go Lowe's or Home Depot & buy piece need. Try keep them clean, Cookie17

I used one as a stand for a gazing ball. The gazing ball, however, was made from an old bowling ball. I glued on those flat glass looking stones that you see in the $ store. It sits in there nicely and I sink the base in the ground up to a point.

I love all those ideas. Makes me say MMM.