Flower Pot Bird Bath

Category Garden & Yard
Using a few inexpensive terra cotta flower pots you can make a beautiful bird bath for your garden. This is a page about making a flower pot bird bath.

I really wanted to have a bird bath in our yard, but every time I found one that I liked it was so expensive. I decided to try and make my own using stacked flower pots and saucers.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

1. Spray all of the pots and saucers with primer. Let dry. Apply a second coat if necessary.
  2. Spray the pots and saucers whatever colors you have chosen. Apply as many thin coats as necessary to achieve the desired coverage and color. As I was painting my pots I found that I liked the varying coverage, it had almost a weathered look to it, so I did not continue painting to achieve a perfectly uniform color.

Allow to dry.
  3. Once all pieces are dry, apply glue to the bottom edge of the largest pot, then stack the medium sized pot onto it. Apply glue to the medium pot and stack the small pot onto it. Allow these to dry according to the package instructions for the glue.
  4. Apply glue to the bottom edge of the small pot and center the large saucer onto it. I chose to not glue the small saucer on (so the I could clean both saucers easier), so I balanced it on the edge of the large saucer and used a rock to support it. Allow glue to dry.
  5. Advertisement

6. After all of the glue has thoroughly dried and the bird bath is strong enough to be moved, you can spray it with a few layers of clear coat. It is now ready to go outside for the birds to enjoy!

By lalala... from Port Orchard, WA

Videos

This short video show you the steps to making a bird bath with flower pots. View the full project here: Flower Pot Bird Bath

I just wanted to show my bird bath. I got the idea from one of your readers on Thrifty.com. I think it turned out quite nicely.

By Sharon from Tofield, AB

Editor's Note: The original project is archived below.

This decorative little bird bath can work as a place to keep stamps, paperclips, safety pins, or even potpourri. It also seems very popular as a Barbie or dollhouse decoration.

Clay Pot Birdbath

Can the person who posted how to make a terra cotta fountain describe what type of paint will hold up outside and not cause any health issues for birds. Also the same question for the glue she used. Or if anyone can help me with these questions I would be grateful.

Thank you.

By Mikey Mike

Answers

I am not the poster, but it seems reasonable that you might leave the inside of the saucers unpainted; it would still look cute!

Hardware store has a waterproof sealer in some colors, we found one that was for pools ponds/ animal safe to "freshen up" an older bird bath. Worked great just for inside the bowl.

I love the purple bird bath made with flower pots! Where did you get the large saucer for the top? What is it made of?

Thank you!

Answers

any Home Depot or garden supply store will sell a pot made that big in the Garden section.

after that all you have to do is paint it.

How tall is the bird bath, and if needed, how do I add more height?

By AnnH. from Shelbyville, IN

Answers

The height depends on the size of the clay pots you use. Since the pots vary, so will your birdbath. Just add an extra pot or use larger ones if you need a taller bird bath.

Terra Cotta Garden Birdbath
You can choose what size terra cotta pots and trays you want to use. Glue them together with clear caulking, let dry at least 24 hours. Whitewash with thinned out white acrylic paint. Let dry about an hour, then paint what ever you want on it, or just blend paints, that is also nice. I liked the leaves and frogs on mine. It is really whatever you like. Let it dry 24 hours then spray with sealer. You really should let it dry 24 hours then spray again and let dry another 24 hours. Fill and watch the birds play in it.

By Sheri from Stockton, CA

In These Pages
Crafts Garden & YardApril 20, 2012
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-08 22:26:01 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️