Recipes Using Bulk Chocolate Cake Mix

I traded a piece of unwanted polyester to a friend to make her friend a seat cover for her porch swing for about 30 lb. of chocolate cake mix. Besides making cake-in-a-mug and a little in the topping mix for cherry crisp I am at a loss as to what to do with so very much of it. There is no conversion chart on the bag so I am wanting ideas with recipes that use chocolate cake mix, but the recipe has to be for using a measuring cup not "a box of mix + something else."

melody_yesterday from Sedalia Missouri

Best Answer

I just picked up a leaflet at our Amish bulk food store to see how much mix to use per cake. The directions were:

3 1/2 c mix to 1 1/4 c water.

Add 3/4 c water to mix and cream 4 minutes. Add 1/2 c water and scrape bowl and mix until smooth. Bake at 375 for 18-20 mins. Makes two 8 inch layers.

One idea I had was to make a Black Forest cake by dumping a can of cherry pie filling on top and adding whipped cream to serve.

Another was to either make or buy some marshmallow cream and fixing your own Suzi Q's.

Except for the whipped cream, both ideas would be low fat. Hope this helps a little. Enjoy!!

Best Answer

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

I do now know from making a few cake-in-mug that for one mug cake you need 1/3 cup cake mix, 2 teaspoons veg oil & 1 egg white.

To make it interesting - cut up a couple of milky way mini's into about 8 slices into the center & microwave for 1 min to 1&1/2 mins.

Be carefull though!

The first one I did got nuked too long & the caramel in the candy boiled over!

I bought bulk chocolate cake mix a few years ago, and to be able to use it, I had to figure out how much it took to make one cake. I looked at the nutrition information and the directions for making 5 cakes at a time and figured out how much it took to make one cake. I also measured one boxed cake mix to see how much was in there. I was then able to just measure out what I needed to make one cake, or use that much of the mix in any recipe calling for one cake mix. Hope this helps.

If there is a name of the company on the mix, call them and ask how to make smaller cakes. or measure amount in reg cake mix, and use that amount in proportion to liq, egg and oil to add. If you go to a SAMS, or COSTCO, they may have a box of bulk mixes, and just look on outside of box to see how much you meed.

Ask the lady who gave it to you where she got it, and call that place to see how to use it.

Splurge on a new box and measure it by the cupful....or get a friend to try doesn't even have to be cooked then , just reseal well -- congrats on a good barter.

Note that boxed mix can differ from one brand or style to another. If you know the manufacturer and style/name of the mix I'd try to find their Website on the Internet. If they don't have tips and recipes on the site there will probably be an email address for questions and comments. Good luck!

Use a measuring cup and put the same weight in what you are making, a box of cake mix is usually 18.2 ouces you could also use a scale and bake accordingly.

Once you've figured out how much equals an average box mix, make cookies out if some: plain chocolate, chocolate w/ chocolate chips and pecans, chocolate with white chips and macadamias, ...YUM

I'd have had to trade for something else other than 30 lbs. of cake mix. Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate, but that much cake mix will end up being alot more lbs. on your body unless you're getting lots & lots of exercise!! You might get alot more satifaction donating this to a homeless shelter or some place to others can benefit off of it, too.

Cake Mix in Bowl With Wisk
Recipes Using Cake Mixes
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJuly 16, 2006
Hot Chocolate Mix
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipes
chocolate cake
Better Than Anything (Sex) Cake Recipes
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
Cake Mix Brownies
Cake Mix Brownie Recipes