Candle Fun

Christmas gifts from children can be fun and not costly. I like going to yard sales and buying used up old candles that are partially used. The children and I shave the candles. You can use a knife or whatever you need to break the candle wax up into chunks.

Then place the wax in bags. Put the colors separate and once in the bag, you will break the chunks up a little better in the bag. Old jars can be reused. You place the wick in the bottom and have the children sprinkle different colors of shavings into the jar. Once it is filled, you place your jars in the oven and heat at a low temperature.

The candles look brand new and take on so many different designs. You can put some fragrance oils in as well to give the candles a nice smell. The family will love the personalized candles from the children and you can even have them to use silver and gold pins and write special messages to their loved ones.

This is my favorite gift that only cost an average of about .50 cents to make and looks much more expensive.

Judy from Ky.

View More Christmas Recipe Family Traditions

Share Your Christmas Recipe Family Tradition

What temperature do you use to melt your wax?

Avoid letting your wax get above 175 degrees F. so put it at your ovens very lowest temperature and check it often. You just want it to get soft, not really liquid. I wouldn't use a microwave for this.

Another thing you could do is to put the broken wax into the glass container and melt clear paraffin in a double boiler on the stove. Pour in the melted paraffin into the wax pieces which would melt them a little and fill in any empty spots.

Wax is very flammable if it gets too hot so always use the lowest temperatures when melting it.

Susan at ThriftyFun

I use my potpourri pot (like a minature crock pot) to melt candle wax. Works great.

Why dont you all just use soy wax, it is cleaner and it melts at a lower level. Very easy to clean up and lasts alot longer.

I have a website you can check out about soy wax and how easy it is to use. Thanks, Jackie

www.cwlight/Jackiescabin.com

Crafts Candle MakingDecember 13, 2004
Crochet Hats
Making Crochet Hats
Making a Sock Puppet
Making a Sock Puppet
Chinese Take Out Box
Making a Chinese Take Out Box Costume
Bowling Ball and Pin Costume
Making a Bowling Ball Costume
🎉
🎄