Craft: Recycled Heart Garland

Cut apart a milk jug or other white plastics, clear plastic from product packaging and cut hearts in several sizes.
(I used all of the milk jug except for the handle, bottom and areas too curved or thick to work with)

Use a thumb tack, thick sewing needle, or pin to punch a hole big enough to fit a small size crochet hook through.

Using your choice of cord or thread, chain stitch 20 stitches between each plastic heart (20 worked best for me). Continue until you are out of hearts or have reached the desired length of the garland. You can trace the hearts on with premade patterns or cut them out freehand.

I used a Sizzix, which is an excellent investment for those of us who are concerned with too much household trash to contend with or those who wish to keep more from going to the dumps. They even cut pop or beer cans so you can make free usable deco for use in your home or in crafting! (I will upload a photo when I am finished). Also, I have reduced my collection of saved kitchen cardboard to a neat stack of cardboard cutouts I have a plan for.

Source: My need to reduce garbage

By Melody_yesterday

Plastic heart garland.

For those of us who do not crochet, use yarn or baby ribbon, knotted on either side of the holes. And how about shapes for other holidays? Any simple shape would work- shamrocks, bells, stars, eggs, pumpkins, witch hats etc. They could have designs drawn on them with markers.

I really like the idea of yarn or ribbon knotted! Also if you didn't have a use for the garland. You could simply loop thread, cord or fishing line through a small hole to hang them individually! Thanks!

I can't crochet, either, but this is great inspiration for similar projects. Thanks!

A Valentine's Day decorated table
Homemade Valentine's Day Decorations
Crafts Valentine's DayFebruary 8, 2010
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
Valentine's Day Heart Garland
Valentine's Day Heart Garlands