Crafts with Baby Food Jars

Uses for glass baby food jars as suggested from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Water Globes

One year for a craft bazaar idea, we made water globes from them. You just use contact cement (grown ups do this part ahead of time and let dry. You can ask each child ahead of time, the theme they want and get this part done ahead of time) and you glue tiny objects to the inside lid.

On the day of completing them, you add water with some drops of baby oil to them (the more oil you add, the slower the things fall down when shaken) then you can drop in glitter. Use contact cement around the inside lids ridge and put on the bottle, closing tight. They stay on always. When you shake the bottle then set the bottles upside down and you'll see it snow onto the objects that you had glued into the lids top on the inside.

You can also add tiny shapes from craft foam like fish stars etc punched from hole punches. Make themes like under the sea, trees for Christmas, use popsicle sticks cut for wooden people draw on them first with markers, put plastic beaded jewelry inside to move around when shook up. Or put a wooden stick in the center lid and add rings (toy kind) inside floating around to see if they can land them on the stick. They are real fun to play with. And the kids can even paint the outside with their names, etc., curled up tiny pieces of ribbon work good too for floating around inside.

By theseamstress

Little Jar Candles

Last year I worked with some little ones and we grated old candles of different colors and put this in layers in the jars and put a wick in the centre. Worked real well, glass jars only.

By Dolly

Santa Candy Holder

Decorate to look like Santa on the outside then fill with candy. Use felt, wiggle eyes and cotton for the beard.

By Ann

Snow Globe Link

I really like the water globe idea! How about a Nativity snow globe? It's nearing the season!

By melody_yesterday

Flower Arrangements

My sons' daycare made these for Mother's Day: little flower arrangements in baby jars. They attached silk flowers through the lid (I think through a hole) to the inside and then screwed the jar on the top. I actually got these two years in a row, once with the little jars and once with the bigger, taller jars. They look sort of old fashioned and very cute.

By Jess

Bible Story Jar And Other Ideas

You could put items that represent the bible story you are telling in each jar. I have seen this done during holidays, and also VBS. Another thing you could do is fill the jars with candy and put a Bible verse in representing Mother's day, Children's Day, Fathers day or any holiday you wish. The Bible verse would say something to do about Mothers, Fathers, Children or whatever event you chose. You could also use then for seed starters. Have fun.

By WRogers52

Lighted Christmas Tree

Make a Christmas tree with a string of lights. Remove lids, turn bottles on sides. Use about 10 across for the bottom with hot glue in between to hold them together. Next row is indented on each end. Keep gluing and stacking until only one left for the top.

Take a string of mini Christmas lights and stick one light into each jar and secure with glue (test it first if using a glue gun),then, stuff fire proof angel hair in around the lights to hide the wire. If you wish, glue the bottom row of the tree on a narrow piece of wood (paint stick), and then set that on top of a short narrow cap or something to be the tree holder. I saw this at work and it was just beautiful with the lights on!

By Wanda

I remember the one for a Christmas tree, I did it last year. And really liked it, so I tried a Jackolantern this year. The only problem was that the glue didnt hold very well for the circle shape. So I ended up putting orange lights in the jars and then taping the hole collection with black duct tape. THen I cut out the face from window shading I had for another project. It turned out really well. Especially at night.

March 4, 2009 Flag

I help raise four grand-daughters, all crafty. It is very expensive with art supplies for four. I asked a friend of mine who is also raising grandchildren (babies) for some of her taller baby food jars, and lids.

Right now I am experimenting making snow globes or pretty little glass decorations for adults in the family. The kids will have a ball with this, once I get a few basics down on how to do it.

I want us to make little snow globes together for next winter. Every holiday will bring new challenges. However, it will save on buying gifts for all the holidays we have. It will also be a "memory" for the girls that they can pass on. This will be great fun.

By Phyllis from Oshkosh

Just remember to seal around the lip of the jars and the lid to prevent you liquid from leaking out. Believe me, it makes a mess! lol

This is a link to another article about making these, might help you. ... campaign=Craftbits_Weekly_Newsletter

Baby food jar Christmas tree.
Craft Ideas Using Baby Food Jars
Crafts Recycled CraftsNovember 14, 2007
Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas