Browsing: Remedies for Dog Mange

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Dog Mange

Before trying any home remedy for mange, it's important to check with your veterinarian. This guide contains remedies for mange.

Remedies for Dog Mange
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 9, 2011 Flag

I had a litter of puppies that got puppy mange. I tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked. So I tried hibbi scrub which worked a treat. It cleared the mange up in 2 weeks. You just fill your bath up, pop a bit in, and bathe the puppies 2-3 times a week. It's very cheap too. I also have a Pointer that gets skin problems every so often, so I do the same with her. A quick bath and it's all cleared up again.

By Becky

Editor's Note: Chlorhexadine is the active ingredient in Hibbi Scrub and other skin cleaners.

April 29, 2016 Flag

Can I use bleach or diluted bleach on dogs to get rid of red mange?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No! you never put bleach on any animal!

Read More Answers...

December 21, 2012 Flag

I have a four month old Chow and Akita mix. I've had her since she was 12 weeks old. I luv her to death. I've tried everything, even vet trips it clear up the mange and then it comes back. When she was younger she was around a dog with mange.

I rescued her from the previous owner, who had a dog who had a litter of five that they let run in the road. I am an animal lover, hard core, so I took all the puppies, all five, in and bathed them, wormed them, and found them all homes.

It wasn't till Nikita was 3 months old, that I noticed her hair was starting to fall out. I changed her diet, shampoo, and would wash her bedding once or twice depending on the type of day, but I'd say it is getting worse.

She's had all her shots except rabies which she won't get till she's six months. I've taken her to the vet and they assumed it was an allergy, so I changed her food again to Puppy Chow.

It's just getting worse, now she's missing hair on her feet, face, tail, chest, etc. I went to my local farm store called Gliders in Griffin Vanceboro they gave me Bannix to try. I saw some improvement. Her hair started growing back, but then after a week it stopped so I decided to go back and they gave me this yellowish mange shampoo for sarcoptic mange and I have gone through two bottles. I see her hair growing back, but I'm looking into home remedies because I either have that crazy amount of money to pay it their treatments aren't going to work.

I had called the pound to see what they would do and they told me they would come get her, but they would only keep her for 4 days then put her down. I said a few choice words after bursting in to tears and decided against it. I love her so much she's like my kid. I can't and won't, so please can anybody help me with any advice. I am willing to try. I just want her better. Thanks.

By Tiffany from Grifton

I have found that if you put used cooking oil on the dog skin helps

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2013 Flag

Borax laundry soap! It can be found at Wal-Mart in the laundry aisle for less then $4. It's a multi purpose cleaning agent. Works wonders. This is only a topical remedy.

Please note: DO NOT USE BORIC ACID. It will kill your dog! Please do not use this! It's used to bait and kill roaches and other pests. I can understand how this can be confusing. Most people have never heard of borax even though its been around since 1891.

This home remedy is cheap and easy to do. I have treated my dogs as well as with this method. It will work as long as you keep up with it.

Good luck!

• 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup borax*

*Add BORAX until it will not dilute any longer in solution. It does not take a lot. Solution should have a dark milky look.

1. Mix solution well in a bowl. Apply generously with wash cloth to infected areas.
  2. Do not rinse off, let solution dry. Try to refrain your dog from licking until completely dry.

DO NOT use near "eyes". It will burn your pet's eyes.
  3. This needs to be applied every other or third day, depending on the severity of your dog condition, for six to eight weeks. If you do not treat every other day or the mange isn't completely gone, it "will" come back and spread.

This will dry your dog's skin out. If you feel your pet is still uncomfortable, use plain olive oil to moisturize your pet's skin.

Children's Benadryl helps your dog with the itching, scratching and chewing but do NOT give to your pet everyday!

Another thing to try as well as using the borax solution is vitamins such as fish oils, vitamin C, E, etc. Mange is a immune deficiency problem. Your pet's immune system may not be strong enough to fight the nasty little mites off.

January 15, 2016 Flag

I am wanting to use the borax, peroxide, and water solution. Do I just rub the solution on the spots where she has lost hair? And how long do I leave it on her? Any advice can help. She is a beautiful Pom and she is losing hair around her neck, her side, and her bottom end. Will her hair come back? Thank you.

There are several mites that cause mange, your veterinarian will test for the exact type of mite causing mange and provide appropriate treatment. The best treatment depends on the animal, the type of mite, and the location of the infection on the body. Oral and topical medications, injections, and special shampoos and dips are used to treat this condition.

Please take your dog to your veterinarian immediately to start proper treatment.

April 21, 2011 Flag

How do I cure dog mange?

By Tracy from Murray, KY

how much powder to how much lard?

Read More Answers...

January 13, 2013 Flag

Are there any home remedies for genetic mange? A friend's dog has it pretty bad and they may have to put it down. They bought the puppy from a pet and garden store and he had no signs of it then, but now he does and it's pretty bad.

By CHERRIE

Yes, yes, yes. Easy, inexpensive, 4 baths in 2 weeks cures all manges. Check Hibbi scrub. It is a very diluted medical scrub that I am told is very safe. It is chlorhex something. No time to research again. Need to get this to you now.

Also important - these dogs must be spayed and neutered. Demedex mange will be transmitted from the pregnant Mom. You can cure these pups but please do not let them breed. Online you can puchase this medical scrub. Trying to remember what percentage of the chlorhex this should be. Shelters can buy it by the gallon which will last for many many dogs because alls needed is a very small amount in bath water.

Read More Answers...

August 7, 2011 Flag

What kind of borax should I use in Ted's dog mange remedy? Is it OK if I use borax flux, the one that is being used in welding.

By Noel

Borax is not poisonous it is used to wash clothes with boric acid U mean is used for roaches I have washed my hair with borax! I am going to try that solution for this homeless dog I found today! Thanks

Read More Answers...

November 16, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of mange on my dog, by doing it the home remedy way?

By Tiffany W.

Some people can't afford the vet. Just like most people can't even afford to go to the doctor. Think first before you speak. The world doesn't see things only your way.

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2012 Flag

I would like to know how to get rid of mange on my dog because she just had puppies?

By Shay

How sad. Demadex mange in mother means all pups are born with it. Sarcoptic mange is very contagious. Vet needs to treat all. If you cannot afford, contact animal groups in your area for suggestions on help. Was this mother dog given to you? Dumped? Where did you get her? No doubt you will have to go to immune build up diet, supplements and meds. No vaccines or you will never get rid of the mange. Vets that are in the know never vaccinate dogs with mange.

Read More Answers...

November 26, 2013 Flag

I can not afford the vet, but love my dog. He definitely has mites. I have taken him twice to a vet. They tell me they think it's this, but will not treat without a KOH test. They've had him on over a month's worth of antibiotics. Is there really nothing I can do to help my Bubbie?

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 19, 2012
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Dog With Constipation
Remedies for a Dog With Constipation
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 1:30:29 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.