Remedies for Dog Mange

Before trying any home remedy for mange, it's important to check with your veterinarian. This guide contains remedies for mange.

Remedies for Dog Mange
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Can I use bleach or diluted bleach on dogs to get rid of red mange?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are several types of dog mange and they are all treated differently. Bleach will do nothing to cure the problem. You must take all of your dogs to your vet to identify the type of mange each one has and prescribe the correct medical treatment. If you delay, the problem will only become worse and much more costly, not to mention the suffering your dogs endure.

I had a litter of puppies that got puppy mange. I tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked. So I tried hibbi scrub which worked a treat. It cleared the mange up in 2 weeks. You just fill your bath up, pop a bit in, and bathe the puppies 2-3 times a week. It's very cheap too. I also have a Pointer that gets skin problems every so often, so I do the same with her. A quick bath and it's all cleared up again.

By Becky

Editor's Note: Chlorhexadine is the active ingredient in Hibbi Scrub and other skin cleaners.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am wanting to use the borax, peroxide, and water solution. Do I just rub the solution on the spots where she has lost hair? And how long do I leave it on her? Any advice can help. She is a beautiful Pom and she is losing hair around her neck, her side, and her bottom end. Will her hair come back? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are several mites that cause mange, your veterinarian will test for the exact type of mite causing mange and provide appropriate treatment. The best treatment depends on the animal, the type of mite, and the location of the infection on the body. Oral and topical medications, injections, and special shampoos and dips are used to treat this condition.

Please take your dog to your veterinarian immediately to start proper treatment.

I have a four month old Chow and Akita mix. I've had her since she was 12 weeks old. I luv her to death. I've tried everything, even vet trips it clear up the mange and then it comes back. When she was younger she was around a dog with mange.

I rescued her from the previous owner, who had a dog who had a litter of five that they let run in the road. I am an animal lover, hard core, so I took all the puppies, all five, in and bathed them, wormed them, and found them all homes.

It wasn't till Nikita was 3 months old, that I noticed her hair was starting to fall out. I changed her diet, shampoo, and would wash her bedding once or twice depending on the type of day, but I'd say it is getting worse.

She's had all her shots except rabies which she won't get till she's six months. I've taken her to the vet and they assumed it was an allergy, so I changed her food again to Puppy Chow.

It's just getting worse, now she's missing hair on her feet, face, tail, chest, etc. I went to my local farm store called Gliders in Griffin Vanceboro they gave me Bannix to try. I saw some improvement. Her hair started growing back, but then after a week it stopped so I decided to go back and they gave me this yellowish mange shampoo for sarcoptic mange and I have gone through two bottles. I see her hair growing back, but I'm looking into home remedies because I either have that crazy amount of money to pay it their treatments aren't going to work.

I had called the pound to see what they would do and they told me they would come get her, but they would only keep her for 4 days then put her down. I said a few choice words after bursting in to tears and decided against it. I love her so much she's like my kid. I can't and won't, so please can anybody help me with any advice. I am willing to try. I just want her better. Thanks.

By Tiffany from Grifton

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% to half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and dilute in a cup of water. Take needle off a syringe and fill with liquid. Squirt one syringe of liquid in dog's mouth, 3 times per day for at least two weeks. Make sure you give him a treat after each dose because it tastes horrid but it should cure him.

Read More Answers...

Borax laundry soap! It can be found at Wal-Mart in the laundry aisle for less then $4. It's a multi purpose cleaning agent. Works wonders. This is only a topical remedy.

Please note: DO NOT USE BORIC ACID. It will kill your dog! Please do not use this! It's used to bait and kill roaches and other pests. I can understand how this can be confusing. Most people have never heard of borax even though its been around since 1891.

This home remedy is cheap and easy to do. I have treated my dogs as well as with this method. It will work as long as you keep up with it.

Good luck!

• 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
      • 1 cup warm water
      • 1/4 cup borax*

*Add BORAX until it will not dilute any longer in solution. It does not take a lot. Solution should have a dark milky look.

1. Mix solution well in a bowl. Apply generously with wash cloth to infected areas.
      2. Do not rinse off, let solution dry. Try to refrain your dog from licking until completely dry.

DO NOT use near "eyes". It will burn your pet's eyes.
      3. This needs to be applied every other or third day, depending on the severity of your dog condition, for six to eight weeks. If you do not treat every other day or the mange isn't completely gone, it "will" come back and spread.

This will dry your dog's skin out. If you feel your pet is still uncomfortable, use plain olive oil to moisturize your pet's skin.

Children's Benadryl helps your dog with the itching, scratching and chewing but do NOT give to your pet everyday!

Another thing to try as well as using the borax solution is vitamins such as fish oils, vitamin C, E, etc. Mange is a immune deficiency problem. Your pet's immune system may not be strong enough to fight the nasty little mites off.

Are there any home remedies for genetic mange? A friend's dog has it pretty bad and they may have to put it down. They bought the puppy from a pet and garden store and he had no signs of it then, but now he does and it's pretty bad.

By CHERRIE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, yes, yes. Easy, inexpensive, 4 baths in 2 weeks cures all manges. Check Hibbi scrub. It is a very diluted medical scrub that I am told is very safe. It is chlorhex something. No time to research again. Need to get this to you now.

Also important - these dogs must be spayed and neutered. Demedex mange will be transmitted from the pregnant Mom. You can cure these pups but please do not let them breed. Online you can puchase this medical scrub. Trying to remember what percentage of the chlorhex this should be. Shelters can buy it by the gallon which will last for many many dogs because alls needed is a very small amount in bath water.

Read More Answers...

How do I cure dog mange?

By Tracy from Murray, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

how much powder to how much lard?

Read More Answers...

I would like to know how to get rid of mange on my dog because she just had puppies?

By Shay

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How sad. Demadex mange in mother means all pups are born with it. Sarcoptic mange is very contagious. Vet needs to treat all. If you cannot afford, contact animal groups in your area for suggestions on help. Was this mother dog given to you? Dumped? Where did you get her? No doubt you will have to go to immune build up diet, supplements and meds. No vaccines or you will never get rid of the mange. Vets that are in the know never vaccinate dogs with mange.

Read More Answers...

I can not afford the vet, but love my dog. He definitely has mites. I have taken him twice to a vet. They tell me they think it's this, but will not treat without a KOH test. They've had him on over a month's worth of antibiotics. Is there really nothing I can do to help my Bubbie? We are poor. Going back to the vet is out of the question. I wish it were not so, but can any vet out there help me?

By Kristin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check out the doctors Foster and Smith website. They have good products for mites. Also try Valley Vet supply.

How do I get rid of mange on my dog, by doing it the home remedy way?

By Tiffany W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You definitely need to take your dog to the vet, ASAP. Your dog is suffering and he needs to start treatment like yesterday.

Read More Answers...

What kind of borax should I use in Ted's dog mange remedy? Is it OK if I use borax flux, the one that is being used in welding.

By Noel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Borax is poisonous and should not be used around pets. After all, it's used to kill fleas and roaches. Please see a vet or go online to Drs Foster and Smith, Petco or Petsmart and get something that is safe to use on your pet.

Read More Answers...

My puppy was just dipped last night for treatment of sarcoptic mange. I was also given antibiotics and Revolution. How long do I have to wait to bathe her? And when is it safe to hold her again?

By Josie L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello... Aww poor fur baby! Please call your Veterinarian for these answers. Your Veterinarian should have given you "at home" instrtuctions when your pet was discharged. Good luck with your precious baby.

Regarding the tip on treating dog mange with borax and peroxide mix, how long are you suppose to leave the mix on before giving the dog a bath?

By Candace from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

Please take your fur-baby to the Veterinarian for an exam. Your Vet will take a skin scraping to determine which type of mange your dog has, if it is mange. Your Vet will also prescribe a medication for you. Having mange is very painful for your pet. Good luck

Read More Answers...

I have a 6 month old boxer that's just been diagnosed with demodectic mange. He's on invert. per vet once a day (for a while)I've changed his diet from Nutro lg. breed puppy chow to Nature's Variety (frozen raw & freeze dried kibble) no grain or pot. With this I add a raw egg and a tablespoon of salmon oil. This is all in the attempts to boost his immune system. He isn't itching or bitting himself. Just losing his hair mostly on his face/head. There are a couple of places on his body but mostly it's on his head (AROUND HIS EYES). I'm looking to treat his skin with something that isn't going to hurt his eyes. Can anyone help?

Susan from SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am a veterinarian. The only safe thing you can put around your pet's eyes is simple neosporin (no cortisone). This will not kill the mites. A separate product is needed for that. Please do not put anything else on your pet's skin w/o asking a veterinarian. People on these sites mean well, but I can't tell you how many times I've treated chemical burns on poor animals whose owner read it online! Good luck

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of dog mange?

By Betty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are different types of mange -- here is a good link that explains the types:

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Hea ... nter/Skin-Disorders/Mange/Types.aspx

Sorry to say, but I think your dog needs to see a vet to determine what type he/she has and the best way to treat it. One of these types is contagious to humans so you probably don't want to wait too long before seeking help. Good luck!!

Can I use Oxiclean for treatment of demodactic mange? The ingredients are sodium perborate and sodium percarbate.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have an answer for you, but try www.earthclinic.com they are a great website for alternative methods. They have a section for pets and I think mange as well. Best wishes for a quick and lasting solution.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a cure for both types of mange for my Shar Pei dogs.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 13 month old dog. She is a German Shepherd/Dalmatian and she has mange. The bottom part of her back has lost its hair and she is constantly biting and itching at that area. Unfortunately right now I cannot afford a vet visit.

So I was wondering does mayonnaise cure mange and if so can someone tell me how I do it to treat my dog? Thank you.

By TEETEE from Bath, NY

Answers:

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Hello, please take your baby to the vet. Your doctor can treat this for you. Your pet is very uncomfortable and is itching all the time. There is "not" a home remedy. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck. (10/26/2010)

By K9cats

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Try liquid lime sulfur (for peach leaf curl). 1 tablespoon for every cup of water. Dip, soak, wet down, garden sprayer, whatever, every day starting 2 times a day for a few days. Do not get in the eyes. Do not rinse. Continue daily treatment for a month. Cut back to every other day, then 2 x a week, once a week, even though it looks like it is gone. Eliminate fleas in the house with dry borax. Please do not let your dog suffer with this terrible itch any longer. Lime sulfur will give fast relief and it is inexpensive. Do raw diet if you possibly can. Commercial foods from the grocery store are disgusting and not healthy. They contain poisons. Look it up on the internet. Write if you need. (10/26/2010)

By muttmom

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

I agree with K9 cats, please get your dog to the vet. Dependent on which type of mange it is, your dog could have immune system problems that can mean that much more than a very uncomfortable skin rash is going on there. (10/26/2010)

By PupperMom

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Just call the vet and give them your circumstances. Ask for some feedback. Don't assume they won't help due to financial situations. If your willing to ask others opinions, go the extra step. It's OK. There are a lot of great vets out there. (11/28/2010)

By alleys4joy

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Our dog has a non contagious mange. I can't remember the name of it, starts with the D. We were doing the dips at the vet's office for 80 every week or two. This became too expensive. We have been using Nu Stock, it is making a difference. I was told about some oral drops you can give for this (not sure what it is haven't tried it). There are collars you can buy with the same med on it that the vets use to dip them, you have to make sure none of this gets digested by any animal it will hurt them. We have changed her diet to a food I think its called NaturalSource. We got it from the feed store, their food is much better than department or even pet store brands. This is where we are with this, hopefully some of this might help. And one more comment to that one lady, dogs are not babies. Good luck to you all and thank you for being responsible pet owners. (12/10/2010)

By eyerice

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need a home remedy (if any) for dog mange, please. Thank you.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Load More
      Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 19, 2012
      Dog With Itchy Ears
      Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
      Dog With Constipation
      Remedies for a Dog With Constipation
      Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
      Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
      Dog Peeing on Another Dog
      Dog Peeing on Another Dog
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 12:14:11 PM on 10.0.2.187 in 947 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.