Remedies for Dog Mange

Before trying any home remedy for mange, it's important to check with your veterinarian. This guide contains remedies for mange.

February 9, 2011 Flag

I had a litter of puppies that got puppy mange. I tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked. So I tried hibbi scrub which worked a treat. It cleared the mange up in 2 weeks. You just fill your bath up, pop a bit in, and bathe the puppies 2-3 times a week. It's very cheap too. I also have a Pointer that gets skin problems every so often, so I do the same with her. A quick bath and it's all cleared up again.

By Becky

Editor's Note: Chlorhexadine is the active ingredient in Hibbi Scrub and other skin cleaners.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 13 Comments

December 9, 2013 Flag

Borax laundry soap! It can be found at Wal-Mart in the laundry aisle for less then $4. It's a multi purpose cleaning agent. Works wonders. This is only a topical remedy.

Please note: DO NOT USE BORIC ACID. It will kill your dog! Please do not use this! It's used to bait and kill roaches and other pests. I can understand how this can be confusing. Most people have never heard of borax even though its been around since 1891.

This home remedy is cheap and easy to do. I have treated my dogs as well as with this method. It will work as long as you keep up with it.

Good luck!

• 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup borax*

*Add BORAX until it will not dilute any longer in solution. It does not take a lot. Solution should have a dark milky look.

1. Mix solution well in a bowl. Apply generously with wash cloth to infected areas.
  2. Do not rinse off, let solution dry. Try to refrain your dog from licking until completely dry.

DO NOT use near "eyes". It will burn your pet's eyes.
  3. This needs to be applied every other or third day, depending on the severity of your dog condition, for six to eight weeks. If you do not treat every other day or the mange isn't completely gone, it "will" come back and spread.

This will dry your dog's skin out. If you feel your pet is still uncomfortable, use plain olive oil to moisturize your pet's skin.

Children's Benadryl helps your dog with the itching, scratching and chewing but do NOT give to your pet everyday!

Another thing to try as well as using the borax solution is vitamins such as fish oils, vitamin C, E, etc. Mange is a immune deficiency problem. Your pet's immune system may not be strong enough to fight the nasty little mites off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

December 21, 2012 Flag

I have a four month old Chow and Akita mix. I've had her since she was 12 weeks old. I luv her to death. I've tried everything, even vet trips it clear up the mange and then it comes back. When she was younger she was around a dog with mange.

I rescued her from the previous owner, who had a dog who had a litter of five that they let run in the road. I am an animal lover, hard core, so I took all the puppies, all five, in and bathed them, wormed them, and found them all homes.

It wasn't till Nikita was 3 months old, that I noticed her hair was starting to fall out. I changed her diet, shampoo, and would wash her bedding once or twice depending on the type of day, but I'd say it is getting worse.

She's had all her shots except rabies which she won't get till she's six months. I've taken her to the vet and they assumed it was an allergy, so I changed her food again to Puppy Chow.

It's just getting worse, now she's missing hair on her feet, face, tail, chest, etc. I went to my local farm store called Gliders in Griffin Vanceboro they gave me Bannix to try. I saw some improvement. Her hair started growing back, but then after a week it stopped so I decided to go back and they gave me this yellowish mange shampoo for sarcoptic mange and I have gone through two bottles. I see her hair growing back, but I'm looking into home remedies because I either have that crazy amount of money to pay it their treatments aren't going to work.

I had called the pound to see what they would do and they told me they would come get her, but they would only keep her for 4 days then put her down. I said a few choice words after bursting in to tears and decided against it. I love her so much she's like my kid. I can't and won't, so please can anybody help me with any advice. I am willing to try. I just want her better. Thanks.

By Tiffany from Grifton

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ivermectin shots and either mitaban baths or sulphur bath/Or skin cream.

Revolution is a tiny tube you massage in between the shoulder blades,it work to kill mites.

April 29, 2016 Flag

Can I use bleach or diluted bleach on dogs to get rid of red mange?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are several types of dog mange and they are all treated differently. Bleach will do nothing to cure the problem. You must take all of your dogs to your vet to identify the type of mange each one has and prescribe the correct medical treatment. If you delay, the problem will only become worse and much more costly, not to mention the suffering your dogs endure.

April 21, 2011 Flag

How do I cure dog mange?

By Tracy from Murray, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some vets also use allergies as a excuse to keep patients. Animals can get a genetic mange which a puppy won't normally show symptoms until around 8wks old...the pups get this from there mother who is cured of her mange but she passes it to her pups! Most vets eventually will tell a patient's loved one that there is nothing else they can do, and chats after you have spent thousands and thousands of dollars. It will tell you that you baby has anxiety!! I speak from expierwncw, and my two babies have regular check ups, and all though I believe a vet will be needed in some cases, I also believe that sometimes the simplest answer can always be the best one for your loved one!!!

January 13, 2013 Flag

Are there any home remedies for genetic mange? A friend's dog has it pretty bad and they may have to put it down. They bought the puppy from a pet and garden store and he had no signs of it then, but now he does and it's pretty bad.

By CHERRIE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The active ingredient Permethrin works to get rid of Mange-You can buy Freedom45 spot on for dogs-cost is $15. for 3 months - can be bought at Jefferspet.com. or buy Ivermectin- use once a week, - cheaper online, the pour on is what we have used in past too-dose is 22lbs per ML/CC.

Don't give up on the dog. It may take up to 6 months of meds, put its well worth it. The trick is make sure you have the 2 main ingredients in the meds. I have done these and they work. I have done animal rescue for years and come across just about everything. Just don't give up on the dogs, he/she will thank you more that you can imagine after it heals.

November 26, 2013 Flag

I can not afford the vet, but love my dog. He definitely has mites. I have taken him twice to a vet. They tell me they think it's this, but will not treat without a KOH test. They've had him on over a month's worth of antibiotics. Is there really nothing I can do to help my Bubbie? We are poor. Going back to the vet is out of the question. I wish it were not so, but can any vet out there help me?

By Kristin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check out the doctors Foster and Smith website. They have good products for mites. Also try Valley Vet supply.

January 15, 2016 Flag

I am wanting to use the borax, peroxide, and water solution. Do I just rub the solution on the spots where she has lost hair? And how long do I leave it on her? Any advice can help. She is a beautiful Pom and she is losing hair around her neck, her side, and her bottom end. Will her hair come back? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are several mites that cause mange, your veterinarian will test for the exact type of mite causing mange and provide appropriate treatment. The best treatment depends on the animal, the type of mite, and the location of the infection on the body. Oral and topical medications, injections, and special shampoos and dips are used to treat this condition.

Please take your dog to your veterinarian immediately to start proper treatment.

August 7, 2011 Flag

What kind of borax should I use in Ted's dog mange remedy? Is it OK if I use borax flux, the one that is being used in welding.

By Noel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's boric acid that's used to kill roaches, not borax. It stated above that borax is an old time laundry detergent.

November 16, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of mange on my dog, by doing it the home remedy way?

By Tiffany W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You definitely need to take your dog to the vet, ASAP. Your dog is suffering and he needs to start treatment like yesterday.

August 12, 2012 Flag

I would like to know how to get rid of mange on my dog because she just had puppies?

By Shay

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Talk to your Veterinarian there are no "quick fix" remedy for this. The pups will contact this and everything the Mother and pups came in contact with will be contaminated. This can still be in your Lawn area for several years so bringing another Dog on to the property is out of the question. Where did you get the Mother from and how long have you had her. Please in the best interest of the aninals phone your Vet ASAP and good luck.

February 28, 2013 Flag

My puppy was just dipped last night for treatment of sarcoptic mange. I was also given antibiotics and Revolution. How long do I have to wait to bathe her? And when is it safe to hold her again?

By Josie L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello... Aww poor fur baby! Please call your Veterinarian for these answers. Your Veterinarian should have given you "at home" instrtuctions when your pet was discharged. Good luck with your precious baby.

October 1, 2007 Flag

I have a 6 month old boxer that's just been diagnosed with demodectic mange. He's on invert. per vet once a day (for a while)I've changed his diet from Nutro lg. breed puppy chow to Nature's Variety (frozen raw & freeze dried kibble) no grain or pot. With this I add a raw egg and a tablespoon of salmon oil. This is all in the attempts to boost his immune system. He isn't itching or bitting himself. Just losing his hair mostly on his face/head. There are a couple of places on his body but mostly it's on his head (AROUND HIS EYES). I'm looking to treat his skin with something that isn't going to hurt his eyes. Can anyone help?

Susan from SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Mom used to swear by Watkins Salve, which is still available. It is called petro-carbo salve, it's brown and consistency of thick Vaseline. We used it on a dog with mange, not sure which kind of mange.

Mom used it on everything from splinters to infections and considered it a miracle drug. I don't think it would get in the dog's eyes and might help soothe the area.

March 27, 2010 Flag

Regarding the tip on treating dog mange with borax and peroxide mix, how long are you suppose to leave the mix on before giving the dog a bath?

By Candace from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The following link says you wash the dog with the mix, but do not rinse. (I haven't tried it so I can't tell you if it works.)

http://www.eart  _mange_cure.html

June 19, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of dog mange?

By Betty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are different types of mange -- here is a good link that explains the types:

http://www.petw  Mange/Types.aspx

Sorry to say, but I think your dog needs to see a vet to determine what type he/she has and the best way to treat it. One of these types is contagious to humans so you probably don't want to wait too long before seeking help. Good luck!!

August 20, 2008 Flag

Can I use Oxiclean for treatment of demodactic mange? The ingredients are sodium perborate and sodium percarbate.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you need to talk to a vet about this !!! Some chemicals can cause nerve damage !!!

April 21, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a cure for both types of mange for my Shar Pei dogs.

By Kelly from CA

Answers:

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Lime sulfur is a liquid sold for peach leaf curl. Add 2 tbls per pint of water. This is enough for dip or total wet down including feet. Do not put in eyes. A garden sprayer works well. Use every day for a while, then cut back. Then use 2 x week for awhile followed by 1 x a week for awhile. This will immediately help in stopping of itch and stink. It smells like sulfur only when wet. This process is best done outside if it is not too cold.

It is an inexpensive old fashioned vet remedy my vet taught me years ago when I brought home a bald dog from Mexico. She turned out to be a lab mix. She had both mange types, ringworm, was malnourished, pregnant, and had big bloody cracks by her swollen shut eyes. It took awhile, but she cleared up and was the most wonderful pal for a lot of years. You could try a change of diet. No vaccines or the immune system will never recover. You want to build the immune system not destroy it. Absolutely no corn, wheat, or soy. They are so worth it and provide faithful love. (12/15/2010)

By muttmom

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Please take your dog to the vet. Treatment does not have to be expensive. I am currently fostering a 14 month old Italian Greyhound that was owner surrendered to a shelter after home treatments failed. The poor dog has no hair and skin infections. Early treatment by a vet could have prevented the situation. Call around and find a vet that will treat inexpensively. Please! (12/31/2010)

By IggyRescue

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

The answer to my prayers awaited at my local feed store for less than $15.00. Long story, short, I have a miniature Dachshund that I believe has the mange from everything I've read and we have tried every home remedy we could find online or elsewhere that we could cram into our budget. We finally looked at our local feed store and asked them. They only had 1 thing, an 8 ounce bottle of mange medicine (called Happy Jack, believe it or not). We took it home, "washed" her crusty little head with warm water and a wash rag to remove the crust so the stuff could sink in, put on rubber gloves (like the bottle said) and opened up the bottle. Although sulfur is the active ingredient the smell wasn't so bad. You just rub it in with a firm finger massage in the affected areas and let it dry. It kind of absorbs like lotion.

After 1 use, the crusty stuff was gone and her little head was soft again. After 2 uses the smell she had has lessened and the redness is much better. She's more social and she's scratching a lot less. This is only day 3 for us, but I know there are other people out there who can't afford a vet who are going through this same thing and I had to say something. I can't believe how much better she's doing. (01/08/2011)

By funluvn1966

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Buy a bottle of neem oil from your local health food store. It may appear solid in the bottle. Place it in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes until it has liquified. Mix this to a ratio of 5ml neem oil to 100ml of hypo allergenic dog shampoo. Be sure to mix very well. Wash all affected areas three times a week. You will be amazed at the recovery rate. Improve the diet of the dog, reduce any stresses and regular treatment may eventually be reduced to once a month. Neem oil is an amazing natural product from the Indian continent used for many skin problems including human scabies for thousands of years. Good luck! (01/22/2011)

By Craigellachie123

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

I would like to thank the poster (Maredman) who recommended Nu Stock. I had spent about $6,000.00 on three different vets over a 4 year period of time, who all wanted to drug my Husky. We went along with each one's remedy. Only to still have the poor thing still itching and loosing more and more hair. I was at the end of my rope when I came across this site and Markedman's post.

We applied the Nu Stock 3 times using only one $14.95 tube (with a little left over) and our Husky has stopped itching, stopped crying from the insatiable itch, and had grown hair back in places it has been gone for long while now.

To the people who post on here that they have worked for a vet for X amount of years, or that you should give your pet to someone who will care about it, I say they must be vets looking to make even more money off of pet owners who are willing to do anything to help their pet! Do not listen to them.

Nu Stock has worked so well for our pet I would recommend it to anyone, and have! I'd like to thank markedman for his post and the picture of the product I needed. By the way I checked their web site to see who sold it in my area, funnest thing about that one of the vet's we took our pet to was listed. I called and asked if they carried it. The answer was no. Hum, makes me wonder why $14.95 compared to 300.00 to 500.00 each visit! To this day we don't know exactly what caused the problem, we were told numerous things. Anything from hot spots to thyroid!
Thanks again to this site and Markedman's post! (01/23/2011)

By kathie717

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

The purpose of any medicine to cure mange is to suffocate or kill the tiny parasite causing the problem. This is the reason the old oil works. This is also the reason that any medicine that "coats" the areas will work. I have use athletes foot medicine in the tube on our dogs and it works. I would think even Vaseline would work. (02/25/2011)

By icpnklfnts

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

K9cats I don't agree with you on this my dog of 16 yrs has lived through mange with the home remedies and when I took him into a vet they just said we have to put him down. I wasn't gonna let them do that so I did some home remedies as in hydrogen peroxide, and borax. Also I did liquid lime sulfur and they worked better then a vet would ever do. So maybe you need to go back to school and get it right this time. Oh yeah, my mom is a vet and she said go ahead with the home remedies. Because we can't help your dog he'll die before we can help him. (03/29/2011)

By extraction756

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 14, 2010 Flag

I have a 13 month old dog. She is a German Shepherd/Dalmatian and she has mange. The bottom part of her back has lost its hair and she is constantly biting and itching at that area. Unfortunately right now I cannot afford a vet visit.

So I was wondering does mayonnaise cure mange and if so can someone tell me how I do it to treat my dog? Thank you.

By TEETEE from Bath, NY

Answers:

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Hello, please take your baby to the vet. Your doctor can treat this for you. Your pet is very uncomfortable and is itching all the time. There is "not" a home remedy. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck. (10/26/2010)

By K9cats

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Try liquid lime sulfur (for peach leaf curl). 1 tablespoon for every cup of water. Dip, soak, wet down, garden sprayer, whatever, every day starting 2 times a day for a few days. Do not get in the eyes. Do not rinse. Continue daily treatment for a month. Cut back to every other day, then 2 x a week, once a week, even though it looks like it is gone. Eliminate fleas in the house with dry borax. Please do not let your dog suffer with this terrible itch any longer. Lime sulfur will give fast relief and it is inexpensive. Do raw diet if you possibly can. Commercial foods from the grocery store are disgusting and not healthy. They contain poisons. Look it up on the internet. Write if you need. (10/26/2010)

By muttmom

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

I agree with K9 cats, please get your dog to the vet. Dependent on which type of mange it is, your dog could have immune system problems that can mean that much more than a very uncomfortable skin rash is going on there. (10/26/2010)

By PupperMom

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Just call the vet and give them your circumstances. Ask for some feedback. Don't assume they won't help due to financial situations. If your willing to ask others opinions, go the extra step. It's OK. There are a lot of great vets out there. (11/28/2010)

By alleys4joy

Home Remedy for Dog Mange

Our dog has a non contagious mange. I can't remember the name of it, starts with the D. We were doing the dips at the vet's office for 80 every week or two. This became too expensive. We have been using Nu Stock, it is making a difference. I was told about some oral drops you can give for this (not sure what it is haven't tried it). There are collars you can buy with the same med on it that the vets use to dip them, you have to make sure none of this gets digested by any animal it will hurt them. We have changed her diet to a food I think its called NaturalSource. We got it from the feed store, their food is much better than department or even pet store brands. This is where we are with this, hopefully some of this might help. And one more comment to that one lady, dogs are not babies. Good luck to you all and thank you for being responsible pet owners. (12/10/2010)

By eyerice

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 22, 2010 Flag

I need a home remedy (if any) for dog mange, please. Thank you.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2010 Flag

I need a home remedy to get rid of mange.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 13, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a homemade remedy for dog mange.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 11, 2010 Flag

Change your pet's diet, if possible, to include cow liver every day or other meat, liver is best. Make sure they get no starch food.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 19, 2012
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Dog With Constipation
Remedies for a Dog With Constipation
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 10:12:19 AM on 10.0.0.150 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.