Toilet Won't Refill With Water

By jeannetta cobbins-hall 1

Why won't my toilet fill back up with water?

Jeannetta from Memphis, TN

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

Remove the lid on the tank and check to see if the flapper is closing properly. It has to have a tight seal so the water will not leak out when it is filling.

Please be specific as to the problem that you're having. Watch the mechanical operation of the toilet, when you flush it and you might find out your problem.

Another thought, if you still can't find the problem, you might have to call in a plumber to replace the toilet mechanism in the tank.

Marge from NY

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Maddy 95 Flag

Hi. I had the same problem not too long ago and what it is, is the stem that is inside your tank.. Take your tank lid off its that long stem that goes to the bottom of the tank it needs to be replaced.

Flush the toilet and turn your water off right after all the water drains and on the outside of the bottom of the tank there should be a washer which you need to loosen (it's hand tightened), that is also your water line to the toilet so you will need to put a can there to catch any excess water there might be then remove the stem out of the tank.

Take it to a Lowe's or Home Depot and they will help you get the right one that fits and tell you how to put it back in. Then all you do is just put in the new one tighten up your water line turn the water on and leave the can under there to make sure there is nothing leaking when you turn the water back on, and Walla you fixed it! I guess the stems get clogged up some how after a while and need replacing. Good luck and I hope I helped you out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My toilet wont refill unless I turn on the sink water. What's the problem?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingSeptember 17, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Man installing a toilet.
Installing a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:20:56 PM on 10.0.0.50 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings