Propagating Lilac Bushes

How do you plant lilac bushes from another plant?

Deborah

Here's a big QandA for Lilacs

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/shrub/lilac.htm

Here's a relevant question and answer:

"Q: I am an organic producer in Divide County and would like to plant a large number of lilacs for erosion control. I am interested in starting or propagating the lilacs myself. Do you have any information on how to start lilacs from seed or the best way to propagate lilacs? If they can be started from seed, when is the best time to collect the seed? Can the seed be planted the year it is collected or does it need to go through a dormancy period? Can the seed be planted directly into the field or does it need to be started in containers and transplanted? Can lilacs be propagated by cuttings or by digging up suckers from established plants? If so when is the best time to do so? (Crosby, N.D., e-mail)

A: Lilacs can be produced from seed being planted in the fall to go through cold stratification. Germination is generally good. They can also be dug as root suckers anytime now and transplanted to the new site with some degree of success. It is past the best time for successful taking of lilac cuttings."

It's not date, though. So I am not sure what time of the year they are talking about.

Here's something else...

http://magazines.ivillage.com/count ... rival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=8879831

Garden Web has some great info

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg0319533016766.html

can you not take stem cutting from a bush? If so how do you start them, water or dirt?

My Sacramento neighbor has an old fashioned lilac bush that she has babied for the last year or two and is just now starting to take off and grow well, she clipping a sample for me and I have it in a water vase, is there any way it will take root from water? If not, how can I, with my great inexperience, get a sample from hers, since it is not commonly offered in any of our nurseries?

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsJune 14, 2004
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Wine grapes growing.
Propagating Grape Vines from Cuttings
Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎉
🎄