Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What License Do I Need to Be a House Cleaner?

I am trying to start a house cleaning service in Virginia. Does any one know what kind of licensing I need to start? I am thinking of going solo for now.

Gladis from VA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sharon (Guest Post)01/03/2008

In Florida, you need an occupational license. It was about 40.00 for mine. Many people want you to be insured too but I only cleaned for individuals, not companies.

By Cyinda [214]12/31/2007

You'll need a Business License & to be Insured & "Bonded"... They do a criminal check to see if you've had trouble with the law. If you're "Bonded" they basically stand up for you so it's harder to sue you....

---> My daughter wanted to work for a house cleaning company (she's 29) but back when she had just turned 18, she stole a 6 pack of beer, so she has a "Theft" on her record, so no one will hire her (no stores either) even though this was a stupid thing she did when she was a teenager. Parents, warn you children of this (I did, but it did no good at the time!) Your record stays with you FOREVER!

* Read This information, It's JUST what you need:
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/business-plans/being-bonded-54975.html

They say you really don't NEED the extra insurance of a Bond... but it helps people trust you more & you may get more business... And, If I was alone in other people's homes... I'd want all the reassurance I could get in this sue-happy world!

* In our state (Washington) you need a business license for tax purposes.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]12/31/2007

I'd contact your local city or town hall and ask what kind of license is required to start a house cleaning service.

You would need some type of license just in case you were hurt on the premises while cleaning someone's home or office.