Organizing Earrings

Earrings come in almost every imaginable shape and size. It is no wonder they can be difficult to store with getting to be disorganized. This is a guide about organizing earrings.

July 31, 2012 Flag

Earring sometimes irritate my ears, no matter what the post or wire is made of. The easiest solution I found was wax. Put the posts in a candle. The wax of the candle coats the earring making it so they won't ever bother you again.

A round candle can be used as a cute earring holder. You just poke the earrings in it (have a container to hold backs) this way you can see each one clearly. The wire or French type backs can be put at top dangling down. This looks so cute as well as saving earrings life. Most earrings except 14k gold eventually due to air, wear or age tarnish. Some ladies can't wear gold, with prices of gold in today's market and mixed metals are being used more and more. The paraffin just puts a layer of protection without harming the earring in any way. I love my candle earring tree .

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

May 11, 2011 Flag

I made an earring holder, that can be adjusted to any size you need, out of a large embroidery hoop and needlepoint canvas (NOT plastic canvas, the cloth kind). Cut a piece of the canvas larger than the hoop, then put a line of craft (tacky) glue around the outside surface of the inner hoop. Place the canvas on the smaller hoop, stretch slightly, and push the outer hoop down and tighten. You may need to pull the canvas straight as you tighten. Let the glue dry, add a piece of ribbon or cord to the top to hang, and put your earrings on it.

It works for posts or ear wires. You can organize your earrings by color, type, whatever you want. The picture of mine is pretty basic since it is hidden in my bathroom, but I have made them for gifts and embellished with ribbon or small silk flowers. I have made fairly small ones and given them as gifts with a pair of earrings on them.

By Kathy from Seattle, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

April 15, 2011 Flag

Organize and decorate at the same time with post earrings! I have purchased inexpensive scented pillar candles, not to burn, but to use as a "holder" and display of my post earrings. They look gorgeous in the candle. When I want a pair, I just have to look at my candle, take them off, and turn the candle around so the "space" is facing backward.

I have one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. They sparkle and keep my jewelry at my fingertips. It began by accident, when I stuck my earrings in my bathroom candle before a shower, so they wouldn't drop in the drain. Now, I enjoy watching my candle sparkle in the light.

Just remember - DON'T LIGHT IT!

By PJ from NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

December 8, 2015 Flag

Weekday pill organizers like the one pictured can be used to plan what earrings will be worn on which day of the week. Bobby pins fit also fit in this particular one, and rings as well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2010 Flag

Use ice cube trays to organize jewelry. A few trays will fit nicely into your bureau drawer, and you can use the divided compartments to keep earrings together and to separate small-chain necklaces.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 20, 2012 Flag

I made my earrings easier to see by putting them on plastic canvas and displaying in a cabinet that once was used for displaying thimbles or miniatures that I purchased for $2 from the thrift store. Now that I see what I have, I wear them more often.

Box mounted on wall, filled with earrings, and doors closed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2007 Flag

A seven day pill box is a good organizer for storing your earrings.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 24, 2008 Flag

I was always having trouble finding matching earrings when I had them in a jewelry box. Now I organize my earrings by color in the divided plastic craft/tackle box storage boxes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 4, 2011 Flag

I often see questions on how to display or organize your earrings. When I have a chain, I often string it from one push pin to another and hang the hook kind from them.

A red wire heart basket for displaying earrings.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 30, 2004 Flag

I use the bottom of empty egg cartons to store my earrings. They each have 12 separate compartments and you can store them one on top of each other if you just use the bottoms and throw away the tops.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 8, 2008 Flag

I was having a problem keeping up with my earrings. I wanted to separate my real ones from my plastic ones, etc. so I came up with an idea. I purchased several ice cube trays. In 2 different colors.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 19, 2011 Flag

Egg cartons are great for organizing your earrings. I use them in a top drawer and also in one of those plastic drawers that you can purchase from a K-Mart, Walmart or Dollar Store. You just cut the part that the eggs are placed in and organize your earrings, works great!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 27, 2008 Flag

Years ago, I bought a lovely crocheted tank top from a local thrift store (possibly on half-price day!); I hung it on a pretty wooden hanger, in my bathroom, and used it for holding all my earrings.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2007 Flag

A craft organizer makes an excellent holder for your earrings. I have four that I keep in my bathroom and take earrings off before I remove makeup at night. Works great!

Craft Organizer For Earrings

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2015 Flag

I hang all my jewelry from hooks. Certain earrings go with the necklace. When I have the hook kind, I slip it into the chain or just use a small opened paperclip to hang them both together.

Pair Necklaces with Earrings

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I came across these car speaker covers in a free box recently. Folks are always asking about how to keep earrings separate, and the car speaker cover's little holes are perfect for them.

Photo of Speaker Cover for Earrings

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2005 Flag

I use a 1 inch wide grosgrain ribbon. Choose a color you like, and tie a knot in each ends to keep the ends from fraying; or hem the ends if you're feeling flush on time and want a neater look.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 3, 2004 Flag

Do you have a hard time keeping up with earrings? Here's a thought. I bought 4 plastic ice cube trays. In each of the cube spaces I put a single pair of earrings. They stack easily and you can see 12 at once and find the pair you are looking for in a jiffy.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2012 Flag

I got this idea from Pinterest. I took a long piece of lace ribbon and attached all my pierced earrings to it. I draped it over a jewelry organizer I've had for years. Very pretty and very functional!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 27, 2011 Flag

I love earrings so I have a lot. I was constantly having to go through so many each time I chose an outfit. I organized them in a divided box made for that purpose, I sorted by color.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 12, 2007 Flag

I have lots and lots of earrings. I have some that loop in, others that have backings. I want to create something to "display" them so that I can 1. find the pairs easier, 2. see all of them for choosing a pairs, and 3. keep the pairs together. I know that I have seen them over the years in various home magazines, and of course, now that I need one I can't find any pattern to use. Thank you so much.

Marcella from Mount Dora, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found a great earring organizer called the Earring Genie. I have looked for a long time since I used to keep all my earrings in a shoe box but I wanted them displayed so I could see all of them in an organized manner. Just google Earring Genie and I'm sure you will be able to find it. Since my time is quite limited, I found it easier to order this and I believe it is the best around.

May 2, 2011 Flag

What is a good way to organize earrings?

By Sheila from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I feel you have to take an inventory of how many and types first. Then decide on your options. I used to store mine in ice cube trays for years... Then i switched over to various see through tackle boxes, small for travel to large with handles for carrying and hanging in time. But always dust free! I do cut dividing pieces of poster board when needed.

Any container or way is fine, the more creative is nice.

I store my DMC thread this way in large see through tackle boxes too... (cross stitch threads)

January 2, 2011 Flag

I have to use clip ons because my ears were infected. I can't find anything anywhere about a clip on earring holder, so I have decided to make one myself! Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

By Sarah Kate

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this tip on here. If you have trouble with infected ears use neosporin twice a day on the studs for 1 week then once a day clean the studs with alcohol. works like a charm.Some even told me they couldn't wear costume jewelry until they tried this.

Hope this helps.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

September 3, 2010 Flag

I only wear hoop earrings. They tended to get ruined just laying around my sink, as they'd get wet and discolor. So I tried finding a holder of some sort, with no luck. I thought about making one, and this is what I came up with:

The hangers that came with the cafe' rods were not far enough away from the wall for the earrings to fit, so I tried the screw in hooks and they worked perfectly. Hope you enjoy!

By Laura from Lillington, NC

Hoop Earring Holder

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

January 19, 2011 Flag

I have pierced earrings of various sizes and shapes. I keep my jewelry in a large jewelry armoire however, there's no good way to keep up with all of the sets of earrings. I've tried putting them in a small crystal heart with a lid, but they still get scattered within it. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping them organized in my armoire?

Tammy from SC

Answers:

Organizing Earrings

Would a length of grosgrain ribbon work? Cut it the length you need and hang it from a rod in your jewelry box and stick the pierced earring through and put in the post,it comes in different widths too. (12/20/2006)

By Jan

Organizing Earrings

This is what my mother did. I've only seen one of a kind. Because she remodeled her kitchen wall, which was a common wall with a bedroom closet, it closed the closet off. By leaving the closet door on the wall, when it opened, there was just a little space. Mom took a big frame, and stapled a piece of plastic square mesh, the kind you work with needle and yarn, on to the frame. Then she put used a couple of small hinges to put the frame on the inside of the door. Then with a small piece of Velcro, on the other side of the frame, to hold it to the door. All she had to do was to swing open the frame and put her earrings on or off. On the wall side, she made a pouch made out of material and hot glued it on the wall to put her broaches and pins in. She also took some small cup hooks and put them on the wall to hold her necklaces. She bragged about her Jewelry closet for many years and it was very pretty.
(12/20/2006)

By Kreatvmuzk1111

Organizing Earrings

I love earrings and own more than 50 pairs. My problem with commercially available earring holders was that they didn't really account for the fact that most of my earrings are *very* long and dangly. One earring would cover the holes needed for 5 others! I now use one of those black or silver mesh desk organizers that are available at any Staples. Hundreds of holes, easily customizable to your specific needs! I lived in a casual (dorm room) environment, so I hung mine on the wall, like a picture frame. It was very pretty. =) (12/20/2006)

By Mimi

Organizing Earrings

How about a ice cube tray, some now even come with covers (12/21/2006)

By patg

Organizing Earrings

I recently made chocolate covered pretzels and I saved the package the chocolate bark came in. It was individually packaged in a tray which is good for storing so many things. (12/21/2006)

By imaqt1962

RE: Organizing Earrings

Organizing Earrings

I bought round containers that fit together in a tube shape. I put one set of earrings in each one and screw it onto the next container. nice and neat. I bought them at the dollar store. Also good for storing safety pins, buttons etc.
(12/22/2006)

By Susan from Hamilton

Organizing Earrings

I, too, use clear plastic boxes for fishing lures, nuts and bolts, etc. Thing about using these clear plastic boxes, you see at a glance just what you're looking for. They come in all kinds of size and configurations. I use them earrings, rings, bracelets and some necklaces. I don't know what I'd do without them. They work perfect. I got mine at a bis sporting goods outlet and some at Walmart.
(01/22/2007)

By AMANDA

Organizing Earrings

I was needing a place to hang my earrings, and I never did like jewelry boxes. Anyways, I had bought a picture frame, took out the display picture and left just the glass and the backing on. Around the border put push pins all along the edge. Bought fishnet stockings and stretch it tight across the frame, hooking on to each push pin. I Cut the fishnets for the excess. And there you have a fashion inspired, hippy looking earring holder. (06/24/2007)

By shaw

Organizing Earrings

Best idea is to go to a fabric store. Get a piece you like (something thick). Then get some string and makes 5 or 6 rows of string across the fabric. Sew it on the fabric and sew little dividers in between so the pairs of earrings don't slide into each other. Now nail to the wall and enjoy the fabulous selection every morning! (10/18/2007)

By Navi

Organizing Earrings

I am having BAD earring problems, you know, organizing and things. I asked my mom what I should do, and after a while she remembered she and some little messed sided boxes, that have magnets on the bottom. She got them from the dollar store. They aren't the best for danglies but you can see inside them, and they have a clear plastic lid. Hope you can find a way to organize! Have fun! (11/10/2007)

By Abby

Organizing Earrings

I used a few thumb tacks and tacked an old Victorian doily on the bathroom wall, and hung my earrings on it. (05/24/2008)

By LINDA

Organizing Earrings

I use a wire CD rack that I hung inside my closet door for hook earrings. Works great! For post earrings, I purchased a plastic earring organizer that can fold up to put in a drawer or stand for display. The organizer has four panels that are hinged together and holds 100 pairs of stud earrings. I believe I purchased online at Carol Wright Gifts. (06/27/2008)

By Kelly

Organizing Earrings

"I used a few thumb tacks and tacked an old Victorian doily on the bathroom wall, and hung my earrings on it."

I tried this and it worked out well. I picked a large crochet doily and spray painted it lime green. (08/11/2008)

By Danica

Organizing Earrings

I know it's a little silly, but I have a plush dog that I keep my earrings on. It has long ears for the post type ones, and pairs are right next to each other. The ones that dangle fit on the dog's "collar". Kind of cute and it works very well! :) (11/24/2008)

By LuvMyFurKids

Organizing Earrings

If you have a Bed,Bath and Beyond store they have trays of different sizes that are kind of a maroon color and they stack on top of each other. There are different ones that have small slots for earrings and larger spaces for bracelets,etc. I can't remember the brand name but you can ask them. (12/09/2008)

By spotscrazy

Organizing Earrings

I use an ice cube tray (one that makes small ice cubes) to store my earrings. It works great, keeps each pair separate and it easy to grab and go.

(01/07/2009)

By Jane

Organizing Earrings

Take a wooden picture frame and staple screen door wire to the back. Hang the frame on a wall, and hang your pierced earrings on it. (06/06/2009)

By Mary C.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2010 Flag

Plastic ice cube trays make great organizers for rings and earrings. I have mine sorted into them and have them in one of the small plastic storage bins with shallow drawers. Hanging next to the bin is one of the hanging organizers with clear pockets in assorted sizes on both sides. I put brooches, pins, necklace slides and bracelets in these pockets. Hanging necklaces on a tie rack in the same area makes it easy to co-ordinate all my accessories. No more rummaging through boxes and bags looking for different pieces and it's much easier to put them back in place with it so neatly organized.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

Organizing Jewelery With Ice Cube Trays

Been doing this for years. (02/25/2010)

By TXBetty

Organizing Jewelery With Ice Cube Trays

What else I've found very useful is those tops from cans; like Pam cooking spray, spray pint, etc. I have several lined up in a kitchen drawer. They hold rubber bands, bread ties, etc. I have one in my bathroom drawer than holds little tubes of Carmex, lipstick, Vaseline etc. They are good for holding all sorts of little items that get lost in drawers. (02/25/2010)

By TXBetty

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2010 Flag

I have a cheap and simple way to keep your earrings and rings; ice trays! Imagine how many ice trays you can fit in your top dresser drawer, and we all know these can be stacked very easily!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2010 Flag

Ice cube tray come in so many colors now. I use ice cube trays to store my necklaces or earrings. I put a pair in each section.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Organizing ClothingOctober 18, 2011
Craft: Jump Ring Earrings
Making Jump Ring Earrings
making earrings
Making Recycled Earrings
Diamond Earrings
Other Uses for Pierced Earrings
Jewelry Box with Jewelry Spilling Out
Organizing Jewelry
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:53:13 AM on 10.0.1.73 in 15 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.