Organizing Earrings

Category Clothing
Many Pairs of Earrings Spread out
Earrings come in almost every imaginable shape and size. It is no wonder they can be difficult to store with getting to be disorganized. This is a guide about organizing earrings.

A seven day pill box is a good organizer for storing your earrings.

By Betty

I made my earrings easier to see by putting them on plastic canvas and displaying in a cabinet that once was used for displaying thimbles or miniatures that I purchased for $2 from the thrift store. Now that I see what I have, I wear them more often.

Approximate Time: 2 days or less

Instructions:

1. Remove shelves and pegs, if it has any.
  2. Clean up.
  3. Cut plastic canvas pieces to go on each side of cabinet.
  4. Use yarn to fill in canvas, or leave it plain.
    I just did a simple stitch using burgundy yarn. This took longer than anything. If I made another, I believe I'd just leave the plastic canvas plain.
  5. Ad

6. Attach plastic canvas to inside of cabinet using Gorilla Glue or staple gun. Hot glue won't hold.
  7. Put earrings on it. Hoops or long earrings hang better at the edges.
  8. Hang on wall.

By Denise from GA

Can't find one of your favorite earrings in your jewelry box? Keep them easily paired and organized by looping them through the holes of buttons. This works with hanging earrings and studs. It's also an easy way to keep your earrings stored when traveling.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

I often see questions on how to display or organize your earrings. When I have a chain, I often string it from one push pin to another and hang the hook kind from them.

Right now, I am using a makeup hanging basket that is sitting on my etegere, and a wire mesh heart basket that is hanging on the wall. Each one holds the hook and post kinds.

And I added a nice little bonus. This is an actual fingerprint and yes, a rose can be seen in the middle. Proof positive that art comes first from nature!

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Years ago, I bought a lovely crocheted tank top from a local thrift store (possibly on half-price day!); I hung it on a pretty wooden hanger, in my bathroom, and used it for holding all my earrings. Since the wooden hanger had notches in it (for securing straps, etc.), I also hung a few necklaces from there, perfectly useful and a very attractive "wall hanging".

By Vicki from Eugene, OR

A craft organizer makes an excellent holder for your earrings. I have four that I keep in my bathroom and take earrings off before I remove makeup at night. Works great!

Craft Organizer For Earrings

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I found one way to organize my earrings. I have several necklace and earring sets. The necklaces in these sets have "extensions" or extra pieces of chain on them that allow you to fasten them in different places to make the necklace different lengths when wearing them.

I use a 1 inch wide grosgrain ribbon. Choose a color you like, and tie a knot in each ends to keep the ends from fraying; or hem the ends if you're feeling flush on time and want a neater look.

Egg cartons are great for organizing your earrings. I use them in a top drawer and also in one of those plastic drawers that you can purchase from a K-Mart, Walmart or Dollar Store. You just cut the part that the eggs are placed in and organize your earrings, works great!

You can keep pierced earrings on spare buttons to sort them and keep them from getting all mixed up in the jewelry box. Just put the earrings in one of the two buttonholes, and they will not come loose.

I have lots of earring and necklaces that match, so I was always rummaging for the right ones. I decide to put the posts of my earrings into a chain link on the matching necklace and then put the backs on the earrings. No more hunting for matching jewelry!

Do you have a hard time keeping up with earrings? Here's a thought. I bought 4 plastic ice cube trays. In each of the cube spaces I put a single pair of earrings. They stack easily and you can see 12 at once and find the pair you are looking for in a jiffy.

I love earrings so I have a lot. I was constantly having to go through so many each time I chose an outfit. I organized them in a divided box made for that purpose, I sorted by color.

I have lots and lots of earrings. I have some that loop in, others that have backings. I want to create something to "display" them so that I can 1. find the pairs easier, 2. see all of them for choosing a pairs, and 3. keep the pairs together. I know that I have seen them over the years in various home magazines, and of course, now that I need one I can't find any pattern to use. Thank you so much.

Marcella from Mount Dora, FL

I used to make earring organizers for my friends out of a sheet of plastic canvas, one ring of an embroidery hoop (8" or 10" is a good size), small wood plaque (found in the unfinished wood section at the craft store) and odds & ends of lace, ribbon, flowers, buttons, beads, etc.

first, drill a small hole in the center of the plaque and one in the side of the hoop. Hot glue the hoop to the plastic canvas and trim extra off around the edge. Decorate hoop with lace, etc then attach the hoop to the plaque with a small wood screw so it stands up like a picture frame.

These work best if not put in a hot sunny window, or other hot place, due to the hot glue.

The second type of holder is for people who like to decorate their walls with jewelry as art.

First, take a crocheted runner and fold one end over a hanger and stitch together along the edge. Then fill with all the earrings you want, arranging them so they are pleasing to the eye and hang on the wall, door, closet or whereever you like.

both types of earring holders work with post or hook type earrings. the plastic canvas would have to have some slits made if using for clip-ons.

Burlap or cross stitch fabric in a nice wooden embroidery hoop hung on the wall works nicely. I take wide grosgrain ribbon and put it at the top to hang down the front, and can put post or clip earrings into the ribbon. The fishhook style earrings just go through the fabric.

Another way is to find a small fake tree - no leaves, just branches - like the tiny white ones used for Christmas tabletop displays or Easter Trees- and hang them on the branches. You can tie on ribbons for the post earrings. You can make one of your own "trees" by bundling and wrapping copper wire, or with floral tape around wire.

What works wonderfully is a chinese calendar. You know the ones...they are rectangular and can be purchased anywhere.

the earrings hand right through the slats and it looks really cute.

I made mine out of an old picture frame and some window screen. Cut screen larger than the frame and with a staple gun ( kids use this step with supervision) staple one side at a time pulling tightly. I then screwed mini eye hooks in the top corners and hung it with an old fake silver necklace. I believe in recycling!!!

Plastic canvas in a frame

or for a LARGE collection or earring a fireplace screen

I use the screen to display my wares at craft shows

Here is how I made mine: Its a coat hanger covered with ribbon, bent and hot glued into a small jar of pennies and onto a small old plate. I painted the jar and the hot glue with black nail polish lol.

I needed something too, so I took a piece of fabric about 10 x 13 inches . I folded the top over 3/4 inch and hemmed. Cut strips of heavy clear plastic 1 1/2" by 10 ". Sewed them onto the fabric across the bottom of the plastic. Added more strips until it was full, then sewed up the sides, and sewed top to bottom every 1 1/2 inch.

Place a piece of doweling or twig through the hem at the top. Leave it too long so you can add cord to each end for hanging on a picture holder or nail and hang chains and necklaces on the ends.

I got a box of candy where the plastic liner was molded in squares -- 8 rows each with 8 columns, for a total of 64 compartments. I kept the plastic liner, put it in a drawer of my jewelry armoire, and keep my hoops and certain other earrings in the spaces. When I open a drawer, I can see the earrings in a glance. Works great.

You ladies are the BOMB!!!! Ya'll rock!!! Thank you sooooo much!!!!

I love the hanger idea ~ and the canvans ~ and the chinese calander ~ I love them all. Now I just have to figure out which one (or two) of them to create.

I am soooo thankful that my friend Stacie told me about ya'll. Thank you sooo much.

Chinese calendar - please send a picture or indicate a web site. I'd like to see one.

At one time I kept my earrings in one of those plastic sheets with mini pockets that are suspended from a hanger. The pockets didn't hold up. They'd rip at the seams. If you do this, get a very sturdy one. Also, the pockets were too deep for little earrings.

My fav thing to do for inspiration is to go to The Container Store (or www.containerstore.com). Type in 'jewelry' in the search box and see what comes up.

I'd like to point one thing out - don't put temptation in front of other people. If your kids have their friends in your house, you might end up missing something valuable (like diamond earrings - don't ask). What happens is that their friends bring over other friends and that's where trouble starts.

And if you have little kids, keep it out of their reach!

To organize my earrings, I used a crocheted tank top!! This, I put on a pretty padded hanger which hung on my wall...organization and art, all in one!

Last weekend I visited a friend and upon using her bathroom, I discovered the cutest way to display earrings. she had taken a rectangular piece of lace, (antique and cool looking, not fussy and delicate ) she then adhered it to the wall and hung her earrings in all the "holes. It was artsy and practical. I have also stapled screening material in a very large picture frame. Good luck, lots of ideas here.

I used a plain piece of felt material then took a ribbon and hot glued it to the top

Ever since i saw my cousins earring hanger i've been looking to do it the same way she did! it was really neat, she got a metal piece and put it on her wall. the piece of metal had holes in it kinda like a net and there she hung all her earings. I found some plastic net like sheets at Wal-mart and now im framing them so i can hang it on my wall to hang up all my earrings. So many idea's to choose from. i like the hanger idea aswell! goodluck!

So, I've come up with a theoretical and never-tested organizer for earrings.

1. Picture the inside of your medicine cabinet door.

2. Now stick on 2-4 thick and strong circular magnets (at least 1/2 cm thick)...or something similar and not magnetic, if you're willing to use glue. Must be that thick to accommodate hook earrings. (Obviously this idea won't work for hoops or studs, but I don't wear either.)

3. Cut window screen to the size you'd like it and attach to magnets.

3 1/2. Using screen makes the set-up blend into a metal cabinet. Use something white for white (like lace) or black for black...this way, it doesn't look cluttered.

4. Stick earrings thru the screen/lace.

5. Or perhaps use pretty paper. Punch holes in them for each earring.

I found a great earring organizer called the Earring Genie. I have looked for a long time since I used to keep all my earrings in a shoe box but I wanted them displayed so I could see all of them in an organized manner. Just google Earring Genie and I'm sure you will be able to find it. Since my time is quite limited, I found it easier to order this and I believe it is the best around.

I can relate to this problem I HAD. I found this genius idea for an earring organizer at a friends house. She had a product, basically it's an earring organizer. if you go to the website you can buy one in a frame or if you have an 8x10 frame you love you can buy a kit to install into the frame! The best thing is that it is adjustable so my long earrings and my posts can be organized with ease. A plus is that it has pegs at the bottom for my hoops! You HAVE to check out this product. The website is a little cheesy but the product is perfect!

What is a good way to organize earrings?

By Sheila from Baltimore, MD

My chest of drawers has two shallow drawers on the top and I took a piece of styrofoam and covered it with a piece of balck fabric, and I stick the posts into the foam, through the fabric, it has worked well for many years. I realize hoops, lever backs, and wires can't be stuck into the foam, but I just lay mine on top of the foam. The black fabric seems to make the earrings easier to see when I am looking for a pair.

I keep my earrings in a large 7 day pill box. I have a small one that I use when traveling.

I have pierced earrings of various sizes and shapes. I keep my jewelry in a large jewelry armoire however, there's no good way to keep up with all of the sets of earrings. I've tried putting them in a small crystal heart with a lid, but they still get scattered within it. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping them organized in my armoire?

Tammy from SC

Answers:

Organizing Earrings

Would a length of grosgrain ribbon work? Cut it the length you need and hang it from a rod in your jewelry box and stick the pierced earring through and put in the post,it comes in different widths too. (12/20/2006)

By Jan

Organizing Earrings

This is what my mother did. I've only seen one of a kind. Because she remodeled her kitchen wall, which was a common wall with a bedroom closet, it closed the closet off. By leaving the closet door on the wall, when it opened, there was just a little space. Mom took a big frame, and stapled a piece of plastic square mesh, the kind you work with needle and yarn, on to the frame. Then she put used a couple of small hinges to put the frame on the inside of the door. Then with a small piece of Velcro, on the other side of the frame, to hold it to the door. All she had to do was to swing open the frame and put her earrings on or off. On the wall side, she made a pouch made out of material and hot glued it on the wall to put her broaches and pins in. She also took some small cup hooks and put them on the wall to hold her necklaces. She bragged about her Jewelry closet for many years and it was very pretty.
(12/20/2006)

By Kreatvmuzk1111

Organizing Earrings

I love earrings and own more than 50 pairs. My problem with commercially available earring holders was that they didn't really account for the fact that most of my earrings are *very* long and dangly. One earring would cover the holes needed for 5 others! I now use one of those black or silver mesh desk organizers that are available at any Staples. Hundreds of holes, easily customizable to your specific needs! I lived in a casual (dorm room) environment, so I hung mine on the wall, like a picture frame. It was very pretty. =) (12/20/2006)

By Mimi

Organizing Earrings

How about a ice cube tray, some now even come with covers (12/21/2006)

By patg

Organizing Earrings

I recently made chocolate covered pretzels and I saved the package the chocolate bark came in. It was individually packaged in a tray which is good for storing so many things. (12/21/2006)

By imaqt1962

RE: Organizing Earrings

Organizing Earrings

I bought round containers that fit together in a tube shape. I put one set of earrings in each one and screw it onto the next container. nice and neat. I bought them at the dollar store. Also good for storing safety pins, buttons etc.
(12/22/2006)

By Susan from Hamilton

Organizing Earrings

I, too, use clear plastic boxes for fishing lures, nuts and bolts, etc. Thing about using these clear plastic boxes, you see at a glance just what you're looking for. They come in all kinds of size and configurations. I use them earrings, rings, bracelets and some necklaces. I don't know what I'd do without them. They work perfect. I got mine at a bis sporting goods outlet and some at Walmart.
(01/22/2007)

By AMANDA

Organizing Earrings

I was needing a place to hang my earrings, and I never did like jewelry boxes. Anyways, I had bought a picture frame, took out the display picture and left just the glass and the backing on. Around the border put push pins all along the edge. Bought fishnet stockings and stretch it tight across the frame, hooking on to each push pin. I Cut the fishnets for the excess. And there you have a fashion inspired, hippy looking earring holder. (06/24/2007)

By shaw

Organizing Earrings

Best idea is to go to a fabric store. Get a piece you like (something thick). Then get some string and makes 5 or 6 rows of string across the fabric. Sew it on the fabric and sew little dividers in between so the pairs of earrings don't slide into each other. Now nail to the wall and enjoy the fabulous selection every morning! (10/18/2007)

By Navi

Organizing Earrings

I am having BAD earring problems, you know, organizing and things. I asked my mom what I should do, and after a while she remembered she and some little messed sided boxes, that have magnets on the bottom. She got them from the dollar store. They aren't the best for danglies but you can see inside them, and they have a clear plastic lid. Hope you can find a way to organize! Have fun! (11/10/2007)

By Abby

Organizing Earrings

I used a few thumb tacks and tacked an old Victorian doily on the bathroom wall, and hung my earrings on it. (05/24/2008)

By LINDA

Organizing Earrings

I use a wire CD rack that I hung inside my closet door for hook earrings. Works great! For post earrings, I purchased a plastic earring organizer that can fold up to put in a drawer or stand for display. The organizer has four panels that are hinged together and holds 100 pairs of stud earrings. I believe I purchased online at Carol Wright Gifts. (06/27/2008)

By Kelly

Organizing Earrings

"I used a few thumb tacks and tacked an old Victorian doily on the bathroom wall, and hung my earrings on it."

I tried this and it worked out well. I picked a large crochet doily and spray painted it lime green. (08/11/2008)

By Danica

Organizing Earrings

I know it's a little silly, but I have a plush dog that I keep my earrings on. It has long ears for the post type ones, and pairs are right next to each other. The ones that dangle fit on the dog's "collar". Kind of cute and it works very well! :) (11/24/2008)

By LuvMyFurKids

Organizing Earrings

If you have a Bed,Bath and Beyond store they have trays of different sizes that are kind of a maroon color and they stack on top of each other. There are different ones that have small slots for earrings and larger spaces for bracelets,etc. I can't remember the brand name but you can ask them. (12/09/2008)

By spotscrazy

Organizing Earrings

I use an ice cube tray (one that makes small ice cubes) to store my earrings. It works great, keeps each pair separate and it easy to grab and go.

(01/07/2009)

By Jane

Organizing Earrings

Take a wooden picture frame and staple screen door wire to the back. Hang the frame on a wall, and hang your pierced earrings on it. (06/06/2009)

By Mary C.

Plastic ice cube trays make great organizers for rings and earrings. I have mine sorted into them and have them in one of the small plastic storage bins with shallow drawers. Hanging next to the bin is one of the hanging organizers with clear pockets in assorted sizes on both sides. I put brooches, pins, necklace slides and bracelets in these pockets. Hanging necklaces on a tie rack in the same area makes it easy to co-ordinate all my accessories. No more rummaging through boxes and bags looking for different pieces and it's much easier to put them back in place with it so neatly organized.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

Organizing Jewelery With Ice Cube Trays

Been doing this for years. (02/25/2010)

By TXBetty

Organizing Jewelery With Ice Cube Trays

What else I've found very useful is those tops from cans; like Pam cooking spray, spray pint, etc. I have several lined up in a kitchen drawer. They hold rubber bands, bread ties, etc. I have one in my bathroom drawer than holds little tubes of Carmex, lipstick, Vaseline etc. They are good for holding all sorts of little items that get lost in drawers. (02/25/2010)

By TXBetty

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.