Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing Earrings

Earrings come in almost every imaginable shape and size. It is no wonder they can be difficult to store with getting to be disorganized. This is a guide about organizing earrings.

August 20, 2012 Flag

I made my earrings easier to see by putting them on plastic canvas and displaying in a cabinet that once was used for displaying thimbles or miniatures that I purchased for $2 from the thrift store. Now that I see what I have, I wear them more often.

Approximate Time: 2 days or less

Instructions:

1. Remove shelves and pegs, if it has any.
  2. Clean up.
  3. Cut plastic canvas pieces to go on each side of cabinet.
  4. Use yarn to fill in canvas, or leave it plain.
    I just did a simple stitch using burgundy yarn. This took longer than anything. If I made another, I believe I'd just leave the plastic canvas plain.
  5. Ad

6. Attach plastic canvas to inside of cabinet using Gorilla Glue or staple gun. Hot glue won't hold.
  7. Put earrings on it. Hoops or long earrings hang better at the edges.
  8. Hang on wall.

By Denise from GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is a great idea. However, if you have a lot of valuable earrings and/or jewelry, for instance real gold/silver with genuine gems, it would be a good idea to put a lock on it. You can't trust anyone now days!

I keep my earrings in a small cabinat with 9 drawers in it. The cabinet was intended to hold small things like screws. I lined the drawers with tarnish proof felt to keep the sterling things fresh looking.

September 14, 2007 Flag

A seven day pill box is a good organizer for storing your earrings.

By Betty

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do something weird to organize my earrings. I sewed two squares of foamy sheets together (that you buy at walmart for ten cents each) and then just stuck earrings through the foamy sheets. One sheet was too flimsy, two sewn together works great. I suppose you could sew a pretty ribbon loop onto it and hang it up on the wall or somewhere.

A red wire heart basket for displaying earrings.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 5

I often see questions on how to display or organize your earrings. When I have a chain, I often string it from one push pin to another and hang the hook kind from them.

Can't find one of your favorite earrings in your jewelry box? Keep them easily paired and organized by looping them through the holes of buttons. This works with hanging earrings and studs.

You can keep pierced earrings on spare buttons to sort them and keep them from getting all mixed up in the jewelry box. Just put the earrings in one of the two buttonholes, and they will not come loose.

Egg cartons are great for organizing your earrings. I use them in a top drawer and also in one of those plastic drawers that you can purchase from a K-Mart, Walmart or Dollar Store. You just cut the part that the eggs are placed in and organize your earrings, works great!

I have lots of earring and necklaces that match, so I was always rummaging for the right ones. I decide to put the posts of my earrings into a chain link on the matching necklace and then put the backs on the earrings. No more hunting for matching jewelry!

Years ago, I bought a lovely crocheted tank top from a local thrift store (possibly on half-price day!); I hung it on a pretty wooden hanger, in my bathroom, and used it for holding all my earrings.

Craft Organizer For Earrings

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

A craft organizer makes an excellent holder for your earrings. I have four that I keep in my bathroom and take earrings off before I remove makeup at night. Works great!

I found one way to organize my earrings. I have several necklace and earring sets. The necklaces in these sets have "extensions" or extra pieces of chain on them that allow you to fasten them in different places to make the necklace different lengths when wearing them.

I use a 1 inch wide grosgrain ribbon. Choose a color you like, and tie a knot in each ends to keep the ends from fraying; or hem the ends if you're feeling flush on time and want a neater look.

Do you have a hard time keeping up with earrings? Here's a thought. I bought 4 plastic ice cube trays. In each of the cube spaces I put a single pair of earrings. They stack easily and you can see 12 at once and find the pair you are looking for in a jiffy.

I love earrings so I have a lot. I was constantly having to go through so many each time I chose an outfit. I organized them in a divided box made for that purpose, I sorted by color.

June 12, 2007 Flag

I have lots and lots of earrings. I have some that loop in, others that have backings. I want to create something to "display" them so that I can 1. find the pairs easier, 2. see all of them for choosing a pairs, and 3. keep the pairs together. I know that I have seen them over the years in various home magazines, and of course, now that I need one I can't find any pattern to use. Thank you so much.

Marcella from Mount Dora, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

So, I've come up with a theoretical and never-tested organizer for earrings.

1. Picture the inside of your medicine cabinet door.

2. Now stick on 2-4 thick and strong circular magnets (at least 1/2 cm thick)...or something similar and not magnetic, if you're willing to use glue. Must be that thick to accommodate hook earrings. (Obviously this idea won't work for hoops or studs, but I don't wear either.)

3. Cut window screen to the size you'd like it and attach to magnets.

3 1/2. Using screen makes the set-up blend into a metal cabinet. Use something white for white (like lace) or black for black...this way, it doesn't look cluttered.

4. Stick earrings thru the screen/lace.

5. Or perhaps use pretty paper. Punch holes in them for each earring.

I found a great earring organizer called the Earring Genie. I have looked for a long time since I used to keep all my earrings in a shoe box but I wanted them displayed so I could see all of them in an organized manner. Just google Earring Genie and I'm sure you will be able to find it. Since my time is quite limited, I found it easier to order this and I believe it is the best around.

May 2, 2011 Flag

What is a good way to organize earrings?

By Sheila from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I hang chains on the wall and drape them like a necklace. The chain that holds the bulb in the back of the toilet works great. I then hang my hoops and wires over each section of chain. So when I look at the chain I see all those earrings and I am able to pick out what I want for that day. This does not work for the post though, but I am sure you could figure out a way to hang a strip of cardboard with a hook on it from the chain and put your post through the cardboard. I have over 365 pairs of earrings. I am a retired school teacher and I would wear a different pair each day to school and my students loved to see which pair I picked out for the day, even the boys.

I feel you have to take an inventory of how many and types first. Then decide on your options. I used to store mine in ice cube trays for years... Then i switched over to various see through tackle boxes, small for travel to large with handles for carrying and hanging in time. But always dust free! I do cut dividing pieces of poster board when needed.

Any container or way is fine, the more creative is nice.

I store my DMC thread this way in large see through tackle boxes too... (cross stitch threads)

January 19, 2011 Flag

I have pierced earrings of various sizes and shapes. I keep my jewelry in a large jewelry armoire however, there's no good way to keep up with all of the sets of earrings. I've tried putting them in a small crystal heart with a lid, but they still get scattered within it. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping them organized in my armoire?

Tammy from SC

Answers:

Organizing Earrings

Would a length of grosgrain ribbon work? Cut it the length you need and hang it from a rod in your jewelry box and stick the pierced earring through and put in the post,it comes in different widths too. (12/20/2006)

By Jan

Organizing Earrings

This is what my mother did. I've only seen one of a kind. Because she remodeled her kitchen wall, which was a common wall with a bedroom closet, it closed the closet off. By leaving the closet door on the wall, when it opened, there was just a little space. Mom took a big frame, and stapled a piece of plastic square mesh, the kind you work with needle and yarn, on to the frame. Then she put used a couple of small hinges to put the frame on the inside of the door. Then with a small piece of Velcro, on the other side of the frame, to hold it to the door. All she had to do was to swing open the frame and put her earrings on or off. On the wall side, she made a pouch made out of material and hot glued it on the wall to put her broaches and pins in. She also took some small cup hooks and put them on the wall to hold her necklaces. She bragged about her Jewelry closet for many years and it was very pretty.
(12/20/2006)

By Kreatvmuzk1111

Organizing Earrings

I love earrings and own more than 50 pairs. My problem with commercially available earring holders was that they didn't really account for the fact that most of my earrings are *very* long and dangly. One earring would cover the holes needed for 5 others! I now use one of those black or silver mesh desk organizers that are available at any Staples. Hundreds of holes, easily customizable to your specific needs! I lived in a casual (dorm room) environment, so I hung mine on the wall, like a picture frame. It was very pretty. =) (12/20/2006)

By Mimi

Organizing Earrings

How about a ice cube tray, some now even come with covers (12/21/2006)

By patg

Organizing Earrings

I recently made chocolate covered pretzels and I saved the package the chocolate bark came in. It was individually packaged in a tray which is good for storing so many things. (12/21/2006)

By imaqt1962

RE: Organizing Earrings

Organizing Earrings

I bought round containers that fit together in a tube shape. I put one set of earrings in each one and screw it onto the next container. nice and neat. I bought them at the dollar store. Also good for storing safety pins, buttons etc.
(12/22/2006)

By Susan from Hamilton

Organizing Earrings

I, too, use clear plastic boxes for fishing lures, nuts and bolts, etc. Thing about using these clear plastic boxes, you see at a glance just what you're looking for. They come in all kinds of size and configurations. I use them earrings, rings, bracelets and some necklaces. I don't know what I'd do without them. They work perfect. I got mine at a bis sporting goods outlet and some at Walmart.
(01/22/2007)

By AMANDA

Organizing Earrings

I was needing a place to hang my earrings, and I never did like jewelry boxes. Anyways, I had bought a picture frame, took out the display picture and left just the glass and the backing on. Around the border put push pins all along the edge. Bought fishnet stockings and stretch it tight across the frame, hooking on to each push pin. I Cut the fishnets for the excess. And there you have a fashion inspired, hippy looking earring holder. (06/24/2007)

By shaw

Organizing Earrings

Best idea is to go to a fabric store. Get a piece you like (something thick). Then get some string and makes 5 or 6 rows of string across the fabric. Sew it on the fabric and sew little dividers in between so the pairs of earrings don't slide into each other. Now nail to the wall and enjoy the fabulous selection every morning! (10/18/2007)

By Navi

Organizing Earrings

I am having BAD earring problems, you know, organizing and things. I asked my mom what I should do, and after a while she remembered she and some little messed sided boxes, that have magnets on the bottom. She got them from the dollar store. They aren't the best for danglies but you can see inside them, and they have a clear plastic lid. Hope you can find a way to organize! Have fun! (11/10/2007)

By Abby

Organizing Earrings

I used a few thumb tacks and tacked an old Victorian doily on the bathroom wall, and hung my earrings on it. (05/24/2008)

By LINDA

Organizing Earrings

I use a wire CD rack that I hung inside my closet door for hook earrings. Works great! For post earrings, I purchased a plastic earring organizer that can fold up to put in a drawer or stand for display. The organizer has four panels that are hinged together and holds 100 pairs of stud earrings. I believe I purchased online at Carol Wright Gifts. (06/27/2008)

By Kelly

Organizing Earrings

"I used a few thumb tacks and tacked an old Victorian doily on the bathroom wall, and hung my earrings on it."

I tried this and it worked out well. I picked a large crochet doily and spray painted it lime green. (08/11/2008)

By Danica

Organizing Earrings

I know it's a little silly, but I have a plush dog that I keep my earrings on. It has long ears for the post type ones, and pairs are right next to each other. The ones that dangle fit on the dog's "collar". Kind of cute and it works very well! :) (11/24/2008)

By LuvMyFurKids

Organizing Earrings

If you have a Bed,Bath and Beyond store they have trays of different sizes that are kind of a maroon color and they stack on top of each other. There are different ones that have small slots for earrings and larger spaces for bracelets,etc. I can't remember the brand name but you can ask them. (12/09/2008)

By spotscrazy

Organizing Earrings

I use an ice cube tray (one that makes small ice cubes) to store my earrings. It works great, keeps each pair separate and it easy to grab and go.

(01/07/2009)

By Jane

Organizing Earrings

Take a wooden picture frame and staple screen door wire to the back. Hang the frame on a wall, and hang your pierced earrings on it. (06/06/2009)

By Mary C.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2010 Flag

Plastic ice cube trays make great organizers for rings and earrings. I have mine sorted into them and have them in one of the small plastic storage bins with shallow drawers. Hanging next to the bin is one of the hanging organizers with clear pockets in assorted sizes on both sides. I put brooches, pins, necklace slides and bracelets in these pockets. Hanging necklaces on a tie rack in the same area makes it easy to co-ordinate all my accessories. No more rummaging through boxes and bags looking for different pieces and it's much easier to put them back in place with it so neatly organized.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

Organizing Jewelery With Ice Cube Trays

Been doing this for years. (02/25/2010)

By TXBetty

Organizing Jewelery With Ice Cube Trays

What else I've found very useful is those tops from cans; like Pam cooking spray, spray pint, etc. I have several lined up in a kitchen drawer. They hold rubber bands, bread ties, etc. I have one in my bathroom drawer than holds little tubes of Carmex, lipstick, Vaseline etc. They are good for holding all sorts of little items that get lost in drawers. (02/25/2010)

By TXBetty

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Jewelry Box with Jewelry Spilling Out
Organizing Jewelry
Organizing ClothingOctober 18, 2011
Craft: Jump Ring Earrings
Making Jump Ring Earrings
making earrings
Making Recycled Earrings
Organizing Necklaces
Organizing Necklaces
Unorganized pile of gold bracelets on a white surface
Organizing Bracelets
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 3:21:50 AM on 10.0.1.14 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.