Vacationing in San Antonio

We're trying to plan a trip for fall break (late October). I suggested we go to San Antonio, and stay at a hotel on the Riverwalk. My husband's only reservation is that he thought the area has a lot of crime.

I'd like to know about your experiences with San Antonio. Did you find the crime to be excessive? Did you ever feel unsafe?

Are there any places/activities you'd recommend? We will probably be spending 3 or 4 nights, and we will have our second-grade daughter with us. We tend to prefer museums and parks more than shopping (although, that's not to say we won't do ANY shopping!). We are ordering a travel guide to help us make our plans. Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

By Lisa from OK

San Antonio is a great idea. The Riverwalk is a popular convention locale and is certainly safe for families even at night. Just use common sense. Lots to do and see. Be sure and take a ride on the river. I suggest you stay downtown and use the free trolley service to get to anywhere else you want to visit.

We stayed in San Antonio last October in a hotel on the River Walk, it was great, the Alamo by night, the river walk itself. We valet parked and got around under our own steam very easily, got a great deal on the hotel room on price line as long as you know the area you want to stay in and the grade of hotel we saved $150 ! We were in Texas for 3 weeks from the UK hope you have a great trip.

The alamo is a must! Very educational for your child and you too!

I didn't stay at the River Walk (I stayed with a cousin I was visiting) but I can't imagine for one minute that area is anymore unsafe than anywhere else! I had a grand time there and the Alamo is only a short walk from the River Walk and there are lots of other nearby places to visit. You will be amazed at how small Davy Crockett was because of the size of a vest of his that is on display there at the Alamo!

I admit, I've never visited San Antonio. However, if you're of a religious bent and will be there Sunday morning, I can recommend one place to visit: Cornerstone Baptist Church. John Hagee is a wonderful speaker, as are his wife, Diana, and his son, Matthew. If I ever get to San Antonio, that's one stop on my "bucket list."

We went to San Antonio in December and the Riverwalk was beautiful with holiday luminaria and carolers in the boats. I felt very safe during the day and night. We stayed in the populated areas of course. Loved the Alamo and there was a wide variety of shopping areas including fairs. Loved the Alamo.

San Antonio River Walk
San Antonio, TX Frugal Travel Guide
Travel and Recreation TravelAugust 30, 2010
Vacationing At Home, Vacationing at home by camping in the backyard.
Vacationing At Home
Visiting the San Juan Capistrano Mission
Visiting San Juan Capistrano (CA)
San Diego, California
San Diego, California Frugal Travel Guide
Vacationing in Orlando, Orlando Cityscape
Orlando, FL Frugal Travel Guide
🎉
🎄