Use Paper Towels for Temporary Curtains

contest winner icon

After I moved into my brand new house, the most important thing for me was to find curtain for all of those more than 40 windows. Because there are so many, it is hard for me to find the right curtains and have them installed in a short period of time. Here is what I did: use tape and paper towel to make temporary ones.

First, measure the height of the window, cut the paper towel with the appropriate length. Then use tape to stick it to the wall. For one window, we may need a few paper towel strips especially for wider window since the paper towel is only 1 foot wide. Because the color of paper towel is close to the color of wall, the curtain made from it blends in pretty well.

Also the paper towel is transparent enough to let the sun shine in while opaque enough to block the view from outside. After you buy the right curtains or blinds for your window, it is very easy to take those paper towel strips down and reuse them just like other paper towels. So it pretty must costs you nothing for the temporary curtain.

I would recommend you buy those thick ones with two layers for these temporary curtains.

By smartguy from Bay area, CA

Very clever and you can reuse them for cleaning chores once you get your curtains ;-)

I had a problem with a lot of windows when we moved into our new home also. As we emptied our boxes we cut them open and just put them on the windowsill. That way we were able to remove during the day and privacy at night. Worked great.

Why wouldn't you just use a sheet or something like that. You could pick up flat sheets a GoodWill or Saver's or Salvation Army really cheap to temporarily use. Paper towels tear easily and even though you say you can reuse them afterwards, I think it's a terrible waste.

I also like the idea of sheets. It seems like it would be costly to buy enough paper towels for 40 windows!

Unique Curtain Hardware
Unique Curtain Ideas
Organizing MovingAugust 3, 2009
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels