Reusing Pasta Water

Is it safe to re-used water that pasta has been cooked in? Say I'm cooking pasta for dinner when my roommate comes home and is going to the same. Can I drain water from my pasta into another pot and have her re-use it?

Michelle

Hey would she want to reuse a couple cups of water. I don't think it would hurt to use fresh clean water.

Anonymous

I am not sure that's such a good idea :-( Why not let the water cool and use it for watering your plants instead? Lots of nutrients in cooked pasta and cooked veggie water and your plants will thank you :-)

Yes of course you can reuse pasta water as long as it is within a few hours! If you cook by the month or for big groups of people you already know this. If you use it while its still hot it saves time and energy, thus saving you money. Just be sure that the water gets used within several hours after that I would water the houseplants with it or add it to bread instead of other water provided it has been refrigerated.

Sure, you can re-use it as long as it hasn't been too long - just be sure and tell her that it's already been salted.

I am guessing you ask this ques., because if you save the pot of water for your roomate, then she has to clean it.

Why don't you just go ahead and cook hers at the same time? You can refrigerate pasta and it keeps for quite a few days, then just run hot water over it to heat up. Ya'll must be some picky roommates.

I don't think she meant the same kind of pasta. That's not picky that's time effective.