My puppy just got out of the vet hospital. He was treated for Parvo. They gave me medicine for him to take. They don't want to give him his shots yet because his tummy is too sensitive right now, so can he still get Parvo again? I have not had my yard sprayed yet, but everything in the house was washed with bleach.
Peppercorn from EL Centro
That's a question you should be asking the vet who treated your pup. The vet should have already given you preventative advice to guard against parvo until your pup can get vaccinated. If they give you vague advice, try contacting your local animal shelter. Most animal shelters have pet experts on staff. Good luck & I'm saying a prayer for your pup.
I was told that once they get parvo they are immune but check on this, because I would hate to tell you wrong!
We had a puppy who had Parvo. The vet decided that he didn't need the shots since he'd already had Parvo.
I would "bleach" the yard though. I don't know how much that will help, but we bleached the house and the yard. We also threw away his bed, etc. and got him a new one.
You know...at the time my puppy got Parvo, I had never heard of "cleaning" the yard...or even the things in the house...so , of course, we didn't. The only thing I was told was that it was an airbourne virus
What I've been told is that they are now immune to the disease, but other puppies will not be unless you do a bleach wash of the yard and house.
(My Doxie got Parvo and she was 2 1/2 years old! She lived, was vaccinated afterwards even though we were told that she couldn't get it again since she already had it)
I would get the vaccine when the doctor says to do so... but other than that, I'm sure she won't get it again.
Buddy had parvo at about 12 weeks. We were just going to get the third set of shots but hadn't known not to take them to parks before that. He made it through, but the vet said that he should be vaccinated every year for it like all the other dogs and he could get it again.
The vet should be up on the latest research on it. We cleaned the house, bedding, etc. I don't know how you "bleach" a yard though.
Once a puppy recovers from the parvo virus, he or she will never get it again, as they will have natural immunity. We don't recommend vaccinating a recovered parvo puppy for parvo, as you are actually giving them more of the diseases which can create mild symptoms of the disease - poor/finicky appetite, occasional diarrhea, vomiting, etc. Some info is here: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heal_parvo.html
Hope this helps and your puppy is 100% quickly!
Until the dog is at least 18 months old it should get the vaccination with the Parvo vaccine, but after that it shouldn't need it.
Do not use bleach on the yard, 1: waste of money, bleach won't do anything except polute the ground and kill the grass.
Use Shacklee Basic G on the yard, it kills the Parvo and won't polute the ground or kill the grass
How do you know Shacklee Basic G kills Parvo??? Every sight, every vet, every humane society, feed store, animal rescue shelter. Pretty much any place that deal with house pets say; BLEACH is the ONLY thing that kills parvo!!!
Yes it can. Just make sure you keep an eyes on him/her to see if they are eating and drinking normal or not. If the dog vomit and have bloody diarrhea and won't eat or drink you need to act fast and take the dog to the vet. You can ask the vet for IV fluid and antibiotic you can give the dog at home will save you lots of money then if you admit the dog in the hospital.
Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.