Growing an Avocado Plant Inside

I plan on growing an avocado tree or bush indoors due to the cold winters we have. Can it ever bear fruit?

Terry from Rochester, NY

Search for your question"growing an avocado plant inside"lot of info there.

Go to and the university of florida can tell you. My experience is no and all the information I have found says no due to the size of the tree at fruiting and ect. I live in South Georgia and I cannot grow it outside here.

I don't know if you can get it to bloom & produce fruit, but a long time ago. I heard this story about this man who couldn't get his avocado tree to produce. He heard that if you beat the tree with a baseball bat. The tree thinks it's it danger & it causes it to bloom & give fruit. My sister tried this, I think & it worked. I do know that you have to have another avocado tree in the neighborhood for cross pollination. Without this, there's no chance.

Plump Avocado Seed Rooting into Jar
Growing an Avocado from a Pit
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceFebruary 25, 2009
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Avocado Plant
Growing an Avocado Plant from a Cutting