Unusual Gift Wrapping Ideas

I love to do crafts for Christmas, and normally I will make some presents. Does anyone have any unique and cute ways to make bags, boxes or anything to wrap gifts?

By bnw1447 from NC

I had a link to a website with neat containers you can make with card stock. I think it's on my other computer, though. I'll see if I can find it.

One time I gave my mom some nice earrings, and rather than wrapping them in a box or placing in a bag, I got a lovely silk scarf that I knew she'd like, pulled the scarf around the earrings, and tied it off with some pretty cording. It made a very pretty package, and it was two gifts in one (scarf and earrings).

One year I wrapped all of one of my son's presents in bags from one fast-food restaurant, and the other son's presents in a different fast-food restaurant's bags. I had to get a little creative piecing them together for bigger gifts. Then I didn't put tags on them. All through December they tried to figure out who had which restaurant. They held the presents, guessed based on size, and rattled the packages. Plus it brought out a lot of laughs whenever we had guests over. On Christmas morning they had to just pick a gift and open it. From there they figured out which wrapping belonged to them.

I have wrapped gifts in colored newspaper ads, in colored plastic bags, in fax paper, in maps, in recycled cellopane, in net fruit bag, in the funnies, and in plain white (Shelf paper) or brown paper with colored images pasted on them! (Get the brown paper from shopping bags turned inside out.)I have also stamped plain paper for wrapping paper. Martha Stewart's site has lots of cool ideas about how to use paper imaginatively.

I like to buy plain color bags. Then I take old spray cans of paint and try to just tap the button a little. Then some small spots come out and then sometimes it comes out bigger spots, but you can save a lot of money. You can use these at any time of the year.

#!-last year I did a fun gift for my daughter & son-in-law,celebrating a 1st xmas with twin boys. I took one of their large formula cans & instead of opening the pop-top, I took the bottom off with a can opener that takes the lid off with the rim(not the one that cuts it-does that make sense?). I emptied the can & cleaned it(careful not to mess up the label while cleaning). Use several small odds & ends for gifts & stuff the can with them, alternating with gift "grass" or tissue paper until it's full. Use a good glue(I used gorilla glue) to put the bottom back on & wipe away any excess. Put some weight on the can until it dries. ---my kids thought they were getting formula for xmas & couldn't figure out why I asked them to open the can in front of us!

#2 take a clean 2 liter bottle with label removed. Cut an "I" slit lengthwise. Stuff with gift 'grass', confetti & glitter. Poke the gift/gifts in among the grass so it can't be seen(wrap in tissue paper 1st if you like), then use clear packing tape to seal the slit you cut in it. Decorate the bottle as you like, or leave it plain so the inside stuff shows.

You can take white cardboard tubes that you purchase at a mailing place or an office supply store and then use sponges and a stamp pad to decorate with a random pattern. They are easy to saw in smaller sections with a serated knife. Close off each end with the caps or with a larger circle of fabric or paper. Tie with raffia, ribbon or string. Easy and very inexpensive.

September 21, 2009 Flag

Use your imagination when it comes to gift wrapping. Use things around your house, that you no longer need, such as decorative tins, a pretty mug, flower pots, glass jars, canisters. You can even put gift wrap around a coffee can, or a Pringles potato chip can. You can spray paint cottage cheese containers a pretty gold color and add a pretty bow. You get my drift, you don't need to buy gift boxes at the store, for your gift giving, whatever the holiday or event.

By Terri H.

Unusual Gift Wrapping Ideas

Open up a deflated mylar balloon for an oversize gift wrap bag. Tape it closed. (04/15/2005)

By Carole

Holidays and Parties Gifts Gift WrappingSeptember 21, 2009
brown paper gift wrap
Frugal Gift Wrapping Ideas
A woman wrapping Christmas gifts.
Christmas Gift Wrapping Tips
Gift Wrapped Bottle
Gift Wrapping Bottles
paper, scissors, tape, and other gift wrap supplies
Gift Wrapping Station Ideas