Put Your Dust Ruffle On Top

I am not sure this is considered a frugal or thrifty tip in everyone's book but it is to me as it saves me a lot of time and energy and don't have to wait for hubs to be around to help me.

We have a king size bed and I love the dust ruffle on the bottom, but it is so hard to put these on and take off. I got a new one the other day and decided to see how it looked if I put it on top of the top sheet. Took me a minute or two to get it fixed right but it looks awesome. Saves me time, energy and I can do it by myself and it looks great. It does not drag the floor like they can do and the comforter covers up the material part of the dust ruffle. Give it try and see what ya think. I love reading all the thrifty tips on this site.

By Lynn from South Texas

Traditionally the ruffle length is approx. only about 14", unless VERY expensive for a taller and expensive bed. I love your idea, but it won't prevent dust under the bed unless it's the longer dust ruffle which is MEANT to touch the floor and stop dust, I'm sure you know? I always hate and avoid the dust ruffles, but they do look good if the box springs is not attractive, and if they match/coordinate with your bedding linens well! Mine are all old, second hand, or mismatching. Yet, I'm grateful to have them! God bless. : )

I use a dust ruffle specifically to hide my box spring and ugly frame legs because the matching comforter only covers the mattress portion so this wouldn't work for me but it's a great idea for beds where the box spring is hidden/sunken within a solid wood frame :-) Oh, and my dust ruffle hides the under the bed storage boxes, too ;-)

(submitted via email)

There is a much easier way - if she goes to 'Bed, Bath & Beyond' store, they sell pins that you push into the mattress to anchor the skirt; this way it does not move as the bedding is changed. Try it; you'll see a big difference. Enjoy! Rosalie

I got mad at my dust ruffle the other day and worked it out from under the mattress, cut the white top part off and am going to try using those twist pins that people use to hold the chair arm protector covers on. I plan on screwing them into the side of the box spring. Hopefully it will work. I tried those kind of rectangle shaped pins and due the the fact that my mattress slides around a little bit the pins kept popping out.

My favorite way to dress a bed is with mismatched linens. I love to have old quilts over a dust ruffle made of gingham or country prints. I actually have two ruffles on my bed. The bottom is a white, then printed on top. Looks somewhat like a petticoat peaking out at the bottom of the bed. Love it.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating BedroomMarch 24, 2009
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
multicolored scarf
Making a Crocheted Ruffle Scarf