Uses for Old Overalls

I have found a great way to recycle the denim overalls my husband wears out, with no waste. Cut the top bib portion off around the waist area and triple stitch it shut using a heavy duty coat thread. Next, go up to where the bibs "clip" on. Triple stitch that down as well, and you now have secure handles. You have just created a washable shopping bag!

For a clothespin holder, do the same as above, but don't stitch the straps down - you will need to unbuckle them to hang it on your clothes line.

Now, for the legs, cut them into squares, of either 4, 5, or 6 inches (depending on the size of the legs). Save your squares until you have enough to make a lap quilt, or even a bed quilt out of. It can be all denim, or alternate with another fabric, such as cotton or flannel. I made one several years ago and backed it with a brand new thrift store flannel sheet that I bought for 50 cents.

My husband usually wears out 3 pairs a year. I try to mend the rears and patch the knees, but after awhile it is just time to recycle them. The "softer" the legs, the softer your quilt will be. Children love to get a blanket or purse made from Grandpa or their favorite uncle's old overalls!

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

Old Overalls
Uses for Old Overalls
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 8, 2011
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
Denim Overalls
Overalls Are Damaging Dryer
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys