Cut Your Boys Hair

Cut your little boys' hair yourself. I've always done it myself so I have no idea how the professionals do it, because it is, indeed, a challenge. I go into the yard with my 2 1/2 year old, he gets a spray bottle, I have hair scissors (sharp) and a comb.

He gets to spray whatever he wants to, which he loves, and I, after spritzing the top of his hair with his squirt bottle, play crazy hair stylist, chasing and trimming whatever I can get up between two fingers, like the pros do. Go all directions, front to back, side to side for an even finished product.

Then, back inside the house, a half inch attachment on a set of clippers (buzzers) to finish the sides and back. If he gets upset about the clippers, try letting him have his hand on the clipper-handle with you and be sure he can see himself in the mirror. Then it's like he's doing it himself which is all a toddler wants out of life! He looks like a little man. So handsome! :)

TIP: Always err on the side of leaving it a little long. You can always play again tomorrow, but it takes weeks to grow back an over zealous mistake.

By Gail M from Burbank, CA

Top Comment

I always cut my kid's hair, 2 girls and 3 boys, and ended up cutting neighborhood kids, too. There is no telling how much money I saved over the years.

Top Comment

My husband used to pay $15 every two weeks for his simple cut. The stylist was literally just running trimmers over his head. About 10 years ago I convinced him he could do it himself and he's been doing it ever since. The savings really add up.

Tracey in Jacksonville FL

Top Comment

Very good looking son you have and his haircut is adorable.

I have been cutting my husbands hair ever since we got married ( over 35 years ago ).

Used to cut it with scissors but with the short hair in fashion I bought a Wahl hair trimmer and just run it all over his head and then trim the sides and back .

My son does it himself and I trim his neck .

I have started to let my hair grow long and tie it in the back , started to like my natural dark blond hair color instead of bleaching it and never go the beauty shop.

The savings add up .

Your son is gorgeous Gail. What a sensible idea to make a game out of the haircut. Well done.

Beautiful child, great cut!

I could just kiss that sweet little face!

Wow, you are pretty good @ it! I've given my toddler some good & definitely some bad cuts!

What a sweetie! You really are good at that. I have a toddler and I usually take him to the barber. I'm scared I'll screw it up!