Tree Damaged by a Weed Eater

The bark of my two dogwoods was accidentally cut with a weed-whacker. Because these trees seem stressed already (small, stunted black-tipped leaves), I am concerned about their survival. Is there anything I can do to maximize their chances? Or do I have to cross my fingers and wait?

Aline from Harpers Ferry, WV

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If your county has one, call the County Extension Office. Here, in Michigan, they offer help of most kinds! I hope they have one for you. If not, give the one in Michigan a call. Perhaps they could help you.

Good luck.

If cut all the way around, it's urgent to get professional advice. There should be some liquid patching compound that could help if the bark is not badly mutalated? It's possible, if still fresh, and not too badly damaged that you could also get "tree wrap" and wrap it very well, after following professional advice, and see it heal

with that protection. I certainly wouldn't cut it down

until you've given it a year to recouperate, even if it LOOKS dead as a results. I'd reduce the water and fertilizer for a time, to not stress it more, until you get your professional advice, asking when to restart

watering and if you should fertilize and with what kind,and amounts. Arborists are VERY expensive, but if the trees are valuable to you, and you have the money and desire to save them, you might find

one who can indeed save it. Look on the Internet for

"emergency tree bark patching"first, and use good judgment, considering the source. Good luck and God bless and help you. : )

I skinned a tree last summer and this is what I put on it. 1/2 cup of interior latex paint, 1/2 cup of antiseptic mouthwash, and 1 teaspoon of any pest killer like you spray your home with. I mixed this together and painted the wound. Everyone said my tree was going to die. This spring it leafed out and looks very healthy. This worked for me. Hope it helps.

Answer

Damaged Tree Bark
Repairing Damaged Tree Bark
Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthJune 14, 2007
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
Picky Eater Boy
Parenting a Picky Eater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 6:43:32 AM on 10.0.2.19 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.