Safeway Signature Brand Tomato Basil Bisque Recipe

We love the tomato basil bisque (Signature Brand) that they sell at Safeway grocery stores. I've tried to duplicate it but I'm not close yet. Does anybody have a recipe for this? By the way, exactly what is bisque?

Bisque simply means a thick cream soup ...

Have never tried to make a bisque soup myself but did find this recipe that sounds really yummy!!!

Tomato Basil Bisque

Serves 4

1 1/2 tablespoon butter

1/2 large yellow onion

1/4 rib celery

1 1/2 tablespoon flour

1/2 tablespoon minced garlic

1 can (16-ounce size) diced tomatoes

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 can (16-ounce size) tomato puree

1/2 can (16-ounce size) beef stock

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 bay leaf

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat butter in a large stockpot. Dice onion and celery and add to pot. Saute until the onion is transparent. Sprinkle flour over onions one tablespoon at a time, stirring in each one thoroughly with a large spoon until paste forms. Add garlic, diced tomatoes and basil, and stir. Stir in tomato puree and beef stock slowly, then whipping cream. The soup should be a rose color. Add bay leaf and simmer on low for about an hour. Remove bay leaf before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Bisque soups have cream in them.

Hello, you are absolutely right! The soup is wonderful. Sometimes they have a good sale on it during the winter months. My family just loves it. Did you know that it freezes really well. I have done that and it is still great after a few months in the freezer.

Bisque... well... it has cream in it or milk.

a nice tomato bisque can be made simply by adding a can of milk or fat free half and half in place of the water when you make a can of tomato soup.

Add a little fresh minced basil if you like...

sometimes I also add a small can of slices stewed tomatoes. wonderful with toast!

There is another site where a pregnant woman is looking for this recipe. A reader posted this link for a version of the soup that is lower in calories. From what I read, this tastes just the same... but if you dont care about the fat or calories, then use cream instead of the half & half (safeway/vons uses cream).

Thanks to everybody for their wonderful responses. I am trying all the recipes. I look forward to some fantastic soups.

I love the tomato basil bisque at Safeway. I used this recipe, but it wasn't quite right. So I added 1/2 block of cream cheese. It was perfect.

How can this be correct, look on label of soup and totally different! than this recipe. It does not taste the same either grrrr, Kim

bowl of soup
Tomato Bisque Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat SoupsOctober 21, 2008
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Flowering Basil
Preventing Basil From Flowering
Scallop bisque with seared scallops.
Seafood Bisque Recipes