Crafts Using Old Clothing

I'm looking for ideas to use old/used items and make them into something new. Ideas like turning a tank top into a shopping bag or turning an old pair of jeans into a handbag. The theme is "reuse, repurpose, refashion". I am looking to use materials that are no longer useful in their current state or would normally be thrown out or recycled. I'd appreciate any ideas you may have. Thanks!

By Anne from Washington Twp, NJ

For instance, I made these beads out of paper and glue and strung them to make a necklace.

I once saw a pillow for the sofa made out of neck ties. It used the long thin portion of the tie and weaved them like a lattice work. Made a cool retro looking pillow. I have seen on the web several places that have patterns for the "Bra Purse" but really think it is kind of odd.

Then there is of course the sweatshirt pillow cover, and the sweater pillow cover. Sew up the openings and stuff it with a pillow, and do away with the sleeves or use them as holders for plastic shopping bags. Real wool clothing can be unwoven (not sure how) and reused for felting projects, new clothing, etc. and I am sure you could find web pages for those. I look at etsy.com when I need some ideas.

Oh and I forgot one! Jeans pockets make some seriously cute girls hand bags when sewn together and use a belt for the handle. Or use a pocket to adore the handbags you make out of the leg of the pants. If I use denim in a project I usually cut small slits on the edge of the piece, like fringe. When you wash it after you are done it makes a really cute curly edge to the piece.

I'm not only looking for clothing ideas, but all ideas. Cans, containers, bottles, paper, anything that can be refashioned or repurposed into something new. Thanks!

Instructables.com has lots of that kind of thing. Have fun!

Here's a couple of my favorites, besides my #1 favorites, which happen to be Thrifty Fun & Instructables!

Here's a tshirt tote bag, & if you go to the home page of this website & look under 'Green Crafting',there are a lot of things - http://www.favecrafts.com/Green-Cra ... -Shirt-Tote-From-Earth-Safe-Finishes

And this site has some of the best sewing ideas & things to do with your old clothes! http://www.allfreesewing.com/Refashioning-and-Upcycling

Rag rugs! they can be knitted, crocheted, or just braided. I make mine from old tshirts and they are so hard wearing and pretty!

My fav recycle from a T shirt, is cutting the sleeve out of the Tshirt, right at the arm seam and you have an immediate cute little head covering with no sewing involved. You can embellish it or cut slits in around it and pull through a piece of the bottom band of the shirt for a tie. I have several and my SIL loves them so I made her a couple. It sounds crazy but they look really finished if you cut neatly next to the arm seam. Have fun.

Photo of a quilt made with tshirts.
Crafts Using Recycled Clothing
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 24, 2011
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Shelf Scarf from Hankies
Crafts Using Old Handkerchiefs
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
🎄