Tips for Organizing Recipes

What is the best way to organize recipes? Do you think its easier to buy 4x6 index cards and write all the recipes on them or type them on a full size sheet of paper and cut them to fit or maybe they have some software. Please share your method.

By Onesummer

I print most of my recipes from websites. Or if a friend gives me a recipe I type it in my word document. I slide the printed pages in the clear sheet protectors and keep them in a loose leaf binder. I use dividers and place them in each category. I have one entire loose leaf binder for desserts: cookies, pies and cakes.

Whenever I cook or bake I remove the page from the binder and in this way the recipes stay clean from splatters.

I love my method! I bought a 6 qt plastic storage container (rectangular shape) with a lid. I made category dividers out of those you would use to put into a binder, did the labels on my computer and stuck them on each divider i.e., Appetizers, Bread-Yeast, Bread-Sweet, Coffeecake, Dips, etc., then I simply cut out any recipe I want, or copy it onto a card, and place it behind the proper category. My dividers are approximately 4.5 x 6.5, so they are slightly above the 4x6 recipes. Most web sites allow you to print a 4x6 card, which makes it easy to cut them out and file them in my box.

Works great for me. Whenever I need to make something I just sit down with my box and pull out the recipes under "Chicken" or "Candy" or whatever and look through that section for inspiration. I am getting ready to start a second box. I have about 40 categories, and my first box is pretty full. Hope this helps. I use the same method for my coupons with a smaller container.

I have my own method of saving favorite recipes. I bought a scrapbook, and when I try a new recipe, once it passes the taste test with the family, I cut and paste it into my book. If it is from a recipe book, I just copy it into my personal scrap book. Each page has different categories. For example, casserole, desserts, easy dinners etc. As a footnote, I have put at the back of this book to pass this on to my grand daughter after I am gone. To keep up the traditions of good food in our family. Happy Holidays

A few years ago I printed tons of recipes from the internet. I organized them into 3-ring binders - about 12 binders by category, beef, chicken, cookies, appetizers, sauces, etc. They are on a bookcase in the kitchen along with the cookbooks we have collected. When I use a recipe I write the date and comments about it on the recipe. Then I put it in the front of the binder, so I can find it next time. Last year I went through all of them over a couple of weeks and took out all those I knew I would never make (recycled the paper in my printer). Then I combined some of the binders so now I have fewer but more manageable. I put a sheet protector in the front of each section to hold recipes from newspapers or magazines. I also have three metal recipe boxes for recipes on file cards. But recently I realized we use the same recipes over and over and probably 98% of the recipes I have will never be used for anything but inspiration. It feels so good to get them organized so you can find the one you used a few weeks ago or at the last holiday. Good luck to you.

I use 2 methods. First I download any recipes that I like and may or may not use into a file on my computer and then dump them on a flash drive.

Then, any recipes that I find I use a lot I print them out on 4x6 cards and keep them in a file box in the kitchen.

Since I am a "gadget" collector, I sort my printed recipes by what gadget I use to make it - crockpot, GT Express, George Foreman grill, microwave, toaster oven, waffle maker, omelet maker, etc. Online I have them sorted by what they are.

Once a year I go through my online recipes and any that I've lost interest in get deleted.

But here's part of my sorting system:

Breakfast, Lunch, Sandwiches, Meats, Vegetable Sides, Other Sides, Salads, Soups/Stews/Chili, Sauces, Casseroles, Desserts, Beverages, and so on. You get the picture.

Hope this helps!

I'm a recipe junkie and have tried so many methods over the years that just didn't work for me. A couple of years ago I tried the method I use now and I find it is perfect for me.

I picked up a couple of 3 ring binder style photo albums with the plastic sleeves that hold 4x6 pictures. I picked them up at walmart for just a few dollars each. If the recipes I find (cut out of magazines, etc) are smaller than 4x6 I just slip the recipe into the pocket. If it is too big to fit, I write it out on an index card. When I use a recipe I just slip it out of its pocket.

My husband and I have come up with an interesting way of identifying the recipes we enjoy the most. Each time we try a new recipe we each give it a rating out of 10 and average our 2 ratings together. I then mark the number on the top right corner of the recipe card. Flipping through my recipe book I can easily see the recipes that we enjoyed the most even if it's been a long time since we made it.

We've been using this system for a couple of years now and haven't run into any negative aspects of it. :-)

About ten years ago I got tired of sorting through all of my recipe cards trying to remember which ones I had tried and which ones I hadn't. I now have two recipe boxes. One is for recipes we have tried and use repeatedly and one is for recipes we have not yet tried and I go through it regularly to find a new recipe.

I collect recipes. After I have tried them, I place them in one of three piles. First Pile is our favorites that will be made again and will be udated to the computer and printed out for a small three ring binder that holds our favorites. Second Pile is for recipes we haven't made up our minds about and "might" want to try again. Third Pile is one that I will never use again but family and friends are free to go through them. I keep the 2nd and 3rd piles in folders in a basket on top of the refrigerator along with menus from carry out restaurants.

Wooden Recipes Box
Organizing Recipes
Organizing RecipesDecember 21, 2009
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Organizing Linens
Organizing Linens
Pots, pans and lidshanging on the pegboard in kitchen.
Organizing with Pegboards
Couple looking at recipes both online and using recipe box
Saving Recipes
🎉
🎄