Finding and Organizing Recipes from Websites

Category Recipes
Using a computer in the kitchen to easily find and organize your recipes can be very helpful. This is a guide about finding and organizing recipes from websites.

I have one email address that I use as my online cook book or archives. I send all of my recipe newsletters to that address and have created folders that I store all my recipes in. I also copy and paste recipes that I find online and email them to myself.

It is very handy because the title tells which recipe it is and I can search quickly. I can also email them to others in a jiffy. When it's time to write the weekly menus, I go here to see what looks good. I can also look for recipes that fit ingredients I already have. Here are my topics:

4th of July, Beans, Beef, Bread, Breakfast, Candy, Cheese, Chicken, Chinese Food, Christmas, Cookies, Crockpot, Desserts, Directions, Flylady, Good Ideas, Herbs, Kidstuff, Low Carb, Lunch, Main Dishes, Mexican, Pie, Pasta, Potatoes and Veggies, Soup, Salads, Sauces and Dressings, Seafood, Snacks, Soup, Substitutions, Thanksgiving, Tofu, Bisquick, Drinks, Home Remedies, Ice Cream, Pork, and Pressure Cooker. Funny, no Zebra recipes.

By Karen

When I find a internet recipe I'd like to try, I copy it to a blank email and print it. I then cut it to size and scotch tape it to the inside of my kitchen cabinet, where I'm not likely to forget that I was going to try something new, and it's right there at eye level when I'm ready for it. If I like the results, I tape it to an index card and move it to my regular recipe file.

By Doggy from TX

I used to constantly buy cookbooks. Either the large cookbooks in the books section of the store, or the small ones near the registers. Then I discovered I could get the same recipes for free online!

Now as I'm standing in line at the registers, I scan through the books there. If I find a recipe, or a type of cooking that I'm interested in (i.e. crockpot cooking, or summer salads, or Italian cooking, whatever is on the shelf) I'll jot down the title or a word or two in a note pad I keep in my purse.

Then when I get home I get on the computer and look them up. If it's one I want to keep, I print it out. Otherwise I just copy it down and cook it. Or I'll copy/paste it into a recipe file I have created on my computer. I've saved hundreds of dollars over the years by doing this.

Once or twice a year I will go through the file I have on the computer and delete any that are no longer interesting to me. In this same file, I also type up any recipes that I have created myself and keep them there too.

By Cricket from NC

I really enjoy the layout for ThriftyFun's recipes and tips. It's very easy and convenient. I babysit my granddaughter on a daily basis so I don't have the time I would like on the internet or even to read my E-mail. So here is what I do.

When I open your daily tips at the end of the week, I simply print out what interests me. I put it into a folder and take it to my daughter's home the next week. I read over more thoroughly and divide into tips and recipes I would like to try. The ones that get a good review get mounted on a recipe card and put into a box. The rest get tossed. This way I have a recipe box that I know all the family likes and don't have all kinds of recipe books cluttering up my precious space, Although I love to read recipe books as one of my hobbies, it's just not practical to have tons of recipe books in my kitchen.

By Katherine from Forest Lake, MN

I love to collect recipes. It has become a great hobby of mine. I have recipes sent to me from friends, groups, clubs etc. One extra way I get some super recipes is going right into the Manufacturer's website.

Example: Go into campbellssoup.com and just click on recipes, there are lots to choose from. More good sites are pillsbury.com/, kraftfoods.com and successrice.com. This is a great way to expand your recipe collection and get manufacturer's coupons also. And it costs nothing at all to sign up.

Your own Internet service usually has a recipe site also. I then print out what recipes I really think I will use. Use a three hole punch to put holes in the paper and put them all in a three ring binder. Use a large one because these recipes will start filling your book. Then buy page separators in any stationary department and mark what type of recipes: Chicken, Beef, Pasta, Dessert, etc. Then you will have your own homemade cookbook filled with all the recipes that you love!

By Jackie from Southern Massachussetts

Answers:

Finding And Organizing Recipes From Websites

I also collect recipes. Instead of printing them all, I copy and paste them into Word files. Then I save them in folders for each type of food. It is easy to cross-reference recipes by saving them in all appropriate folders (ex. an egg dish can go in the 'Main Dish' folder under both 'Breakfast' and 'Non-Meat')

I print them out as I use them and only keep a paper copy of the really good ones that I know I will use again.

I can also color-code the files and folders in Word so they are easy to find. I keep mine right on my hard drive for easy saving and then back it up occasionally. (03/22/2007)

By Lisa from Lena, WI

Try this site, it's awesome!

Just type in any recipe click go. If you click on rating after your search, it will sort the recipes that have been rated by people who have made the recipe. You can type in a ingredient or a recipe. There are recipes for everything from food to dog food to faux febreeze, to bath salts, laminate floor cleaner, everything.

There are also many categories to choose from, appetizers, chicken, etc.

The recipes can be sorted by clicking, rating,alphabetically.

Check out the Reeses squares or type in 29679.

I have lost track of time and been on this site for hours.

Hope you like it. (03/22/2007)

By LEONA LABINE

My favourite site is http://AllRecipes.com. I like this because, not only can you find recipes using any ingredients you have, but you can change the serving portions. (03/22/2007)

By Christine Anderson

I like the Cook.com (or Cooks.com) website. It is great. (03/23/2007)

By

I organize my recipes just as Lisa has explained below. And print them out when I get ready to try them. If I decide the recipe is a "Keeper", I add it to my notebook of recipes. My notebook is a large 3 ring binder, I fill the notebook with the clear plastic pages that fit the 3 hole binder, and slip all the recipes inside. I use the Index dividers for separating into categories, such as Crockpot Meal, Chicken, Breads, Cookies, etc. When using a recipe, I just remove the whole plastic insert, and stick it on my fridge or my range hood with a magnet and when I have finished with it, return it to the notebook. This year I am putting together books for a few friends and family for Christmas gifts with my favorites. I have one friend who has been begging me to make one for her for a long time.(03/24/2007)

By Harlean