Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Does anyone have a really good homemade spaghetti sauce recipe that they would like to share. Could you also include the amounts used of everything (including spices or herbs), and how much sauce it makes?

Thanks for all replies!
P.J. from Delaware

If you look under recipes and then sauces you will find many recipes for what you are looking for. I have posted an excellent recipe for spagetti sauce there.

Here's some recipes from the archive...

Italian Spaghetti Sauce

Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce

True-Blue Italian Spaghetti Sauce

Spaghetti Sauce - Tips and Recipes

Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix and Recipes

This is super simple. I think Hunt's brand just tastes best.

1 can Hunt's sauce (15 oz.)

1 can water using sauce can

1 can Hunt's paste (around 10 oz.)

1/2 T. basil (fresh is better -- 6 med. leaves)

1/2 T. oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

Put in crock pot on low and let simmer most of the day or hi for 3-4 hrs. You can add browned meat if you want, but my family has actually found the purity of the vegetarian version more tasty.

Note: when you add sugar, be sure it is brown sugar, it neutralizes the acidity and tastes better! Regular granulated just doesn't cut it. My favorite marinara crock pot recipe is in the bowels of storage....I'll post when I find it!

Easy Red Sauce

2 Tbs. olive oil

1 can (14-oz) crushed tomatoes

1/2 cup tomato sauce

1-1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning

cooked pasta

Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet, then add tomatoes, sauce and Italian seasoning. Stir and heat until hot. Add pasta and mix, then transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan.

THis is Mary Ellens Recipe the tip lady

don't know quantities a lot, pinch a this and pinch a that!

large sauce pot

2 large cans each dices tomatoes and tomato puree

2 med cans italian diced tomatos

2 ribs celery

1-2 carrots

1med onion

1 tsp rounded- minced or chopped garlic (bottle type)

2 cups red or pink wine

2 large cans of water

basil oregano salt

olive oil

dice vegtables and saute in pot with olive oil until translucent and soft (cover and low for about 20-25min). Add garlic and cook for a few min. You don't want garlic to burn. I sometimes add mushrooms, olives at this point, this is optional.

add all tomato, water and salt to taste (don't oversalt it will cook down and concentrate)

add about 2 tsp basil and 1 of oregano. can add some red pepper flakes for a little heat. bring to a boil and turn down to simmer about an hour with cover ajar to let evaporate. Then add wine and a little more basil and oregano, a few shakes of each 'bout 2 or 3. and about 1/4-1/2 cup sugar, to taste. I layer the flavors. Simmer for another hour or 2 until get little thicker consistancy. I sometimes add a little tomato paste to thicken if too thin. I think this makes about 6 qts? can be frozen in containers and mixed w/ store bought to give it a home made taste...I add a little wine when I mix them.

My comments on the subject. Ragu spaghetti sauce is so cheap, even cheaper with coupons, that I find it not worth making homemade sauce anymore. I do doctor it up a little! There are a lot of variations of sauce and the 26 ounce jars were on sale last week for .99¢ & with coupons much less.

50 years ago I sure made my share of homemade spaghetti sauces ... not anymore! When you factor in the electric or gas to simmer for awhile, it's not cost effective, in my opinion.

where's the fun in buying your sauce from the store?

Finally! A homemade style, upscale Italian restaurant spaghetti sauce, somehow in a jar--how they did it, I don't know, but with Milazzo gourmet pasta sauce, doctoring up spaghetti sauce, is a thing of the past. Thank God for this wonderful product.

Trust me, with Milazzo pasta sauce, making your own is a waste of time because it will be hard to match theirs.

Ragu is a perfect way to make homemade sauce. Get the regular sauce. Cut up some garlic, go for quality if you can. Heat some olive oil (bertollis) and put the garlic in. Do not brown the garlic. At the point of where it will begin to brown, turn down the heat and add Ragu. Season it with basil and oregano. Now, you can add tomato paste (follow its directions) if you like. This will tend to make it less sweeter. Adding meat or other veggies is another add-in. The quantities of olive oil and garlic is up to you. I like a clove of garlic per jar.

Homemade spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SaucesMay 1, 2006
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Close up image of red pasta sauce cooking in pan
Fixing Burnt Flavor in Spaghetti Sauce
plate of spaghetti and meat sauce
Mazette Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes