Basic Spaghetti Sauce Recipes

Category Sauces
White pasta bowl with spaghetti pasta, marinara sauce and a sprig of basil
Homemade spaghetti sauce can be tailored to suit your individual taste by the spices and additions you add or you can keep it simple. This is a guide about basic spaghetti sauce recipes.

This basic sauce makes 6 cups and can be frozen to use anytime. Plus you can add your favorite touches. Like mushrooms, garlic, black olives, carrot, zucchini, browned ground beef, sausage, or turkey, etc.

Directions:

Saute onion in oil until golden. Add vinegar and tomatoes, forced through a course sieve. Add tomato sauce and paste, basil, salt, parsley and pepper. Simmer until thick (about 1/2 hour).

Servings: 8 or 6 cups
Time:45 -60 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Good old Tupperware parties of the 70's

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

I am looking for a very easy and basic, but good, spaghetti sauce recipe. My problem in finding one is that I am very picky. I like the canned sauce but not the dehydrated onions. Even though they are tiny, I do not like the crunch. I have to spend about 5 minutes before every meal picking them out of my plate. So, if anyone knows of a sauce with only a few ingredients, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

Tana from Fayette, AL

Answers:

Looking For Basic Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Why don't you strain the one you like? (08/30/2007)

Hi, I just lightly fry any type of chopped onion with a little garlic. After a few minutes add 2 tins blended tomatoes. Cook until nice and hot, then simmer for a while if you have fresh basil add a few leaves at the end. This is so simple we use it all the time in our house. My kids love it, and they should know as they are Italian. This sauce can be used just with pasta or made as a spaghetti bolognase sauce. Hope you like it. (08/30/2007)

By ruth in hull uk

Brown 1 lb ground beef with a diced onion. You might consider a bit of onion powder instead. When done, drain well and add one can of tomato juice. To that add two bay leaves (remove before serving) and garlic powder to taste. If using fresh garlic I use two cloves crushed. Simmer until you reach the consistency you desire. That's it! This is what we have done for generations! So simple you can't go wrong. I sometimes will add a bit of oregano or Italian seasoning just to change it up a bit, but not often. My kids gobble it up! (08/30/2007)

By iamchef.leighann at yahoo

I'm sure you can buy sauce without onions. If you like the taste of onion but not the crunch then you can do as someone else said and just make your own, but use onion powder instead. (08/30/2007)

By Maryeileen

When I make my spaghetti sauce I use whatever amount of tomato sauce that it takes to cover the hamburger pieces, add pinches of Italian seasoning and oregano. Keep tasting until it taste like you want it to. My family loves my spaghetti sauce and it is so easy to make. (08/31/2007)

By ghager28

• 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • olive oil
  • dried basil
  • dried parsley
  • dried oregano
  • salt
Heat pan or pot over medium heat. Add just enough olive oil to cover bottom of pan. Crush 3 cloves of garlic and mince. Add to hot oil. Do not let the garlic burn. Then add your can of tomatoes. Add 1 tablespoon each of basil and parsley. Add 1 small pinch of oregano. Add 1 scant teaspoon of salt. Simmer on low for 35 minutes. Done! (08/31/2007)

By Lucille

I am just as picky! I don't like the crunch of the onion or the chunky tomatoes, so I use 15oz. cans of tomato sauce, ground beef, frozen meatballs, Italian seasoning, and oregano. Add as little or as much as you like. It tastes great without anyone having to pick anything out. (09/02/2007)

By Jamie

My SIL must blend spaghetti sauce then strain to get rid of the crunchy bits. I have watched BIL spend enough time for the food to get cold getting all the onions out. She makes her own most of the time. Pizza sauce may not have onions. (09/04/2007)

By kladybug

I'm Italian and never liked jar sauces before till I tried Ragu Sauted Garlic and Onion. It tastes really good and all I do with it is add a pinch of oregano, basil, and rosemary. I then add Italian mild sausage and meatballs. It's quick and no one knows but you it came from a jar. There is no crunchy stuff in the sauce, only chunks of tomatoes here and there. I made eggplant parmasean with that sauce and no one knew. he he. (09/04/2007)

By candleglows

Even when I make homemade sauce from scratch, I put the tomatoes, onions, etc., in the blender to pulverize all the chunks. While I like the taste that the onion and other veggies give, I usually like my sauce smooth and without chunks too. It may be easier for you to do this with bottled sauces rather than pick out all those tiny onion bits. (09/13/2007)

By susanmajp

Brown 1 lb. burger with 1-2 tsp. grated onion (my husband says he hates onions but as long as he can't feel them he doesn't know he's eating them so grating works great) or use onion powder; add 1 clove garlic grated finely or garlic powder; drain well put burger into kettle with 2 cans tomato soup- 1 can water and simmer for at least 1/2 hour the longer the better. (05/04/2008)

By PICKY FAMILY

I make my "quick no frills" spaghetti sauce with a large can of diced or pureed tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, garlic powder and Italian herb blend. (If I'm making meat sauce, I'll brown my meat first.) When I'm crunched for time, I'll put the above ingredients into my crock pot and add diced onions and peppers. I leave it to cook for several hours and all the vegetables are nice and soft. (07/30/2008)

By gypsyartist