Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce
I love making my own Italian sauce. It is easy and much tastier than jarred. I still make the sauce my mom taught me when I was a young girl.
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 med. sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 large green pepper, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz) Pastene ground peeled crushed tomatoes (or your favorite brand)
- 1 can water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Using a large stock pot with a cover. Put olive oil in pan. Using a chopper, mince onion, green and red pepper, and garlic. Add this to the hot oil. Stir well while sautéing.
- Add 2 cans of tomatoes and 1 can of water. Add all spices, bay leaves, grated cheese and sugar.
- Bring this to a rapid boil, then to a simmer. Stirring very often. Let this simmer for 3-4 hours*. Taste and adjust your seasonings as needed.
- You can add ground beef for a meat sauce, homemade meatballs or Italian sausages. You can divide this up and freeze in smaller quantities.
* I often put my pan of sauce in the oven on 325 F. You will not have to stir, and it will not stick.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.