Alternative Uses for Shrimp Cocktail Sauce

Category Leftovers
Cocktail sauce is traditionally served with shrimp but people often have sauce leftover. This spicy tomato based sauce is flavored with horseradish. It is good as a replacement for catsup or tomato paste in many recipes.

I have four bottles of cocktail sauce that I purchased at a cheap price. I bought so many because I thought my daughter could use them. I was wrong, she doesn't want them. My husband and I use them when we have shrimp, but that is not that often. I can't return them, I threw away the receipt. Does anyone have any ideas how they can be used? Thank you.

By it's.only.me from NE PA / USA

Answers

Best Answer

Add to nacho chips and cheese, warm in microwave or oven.
Add to meatloaf recipes.
Add to cream cheese and make dip.
Make sweet n sour sauce by adding orange marmalade or sweet juices and bake on pork or beef.

Best Answer

Cocktail sauce is basically ketchup with more spice to it. you can use it for fries or hamburgers, or any kind of fish besides shrimp. My hubby likes it with tilapia!

Best Answer

I use a can of shrimp, the kind you find next to canned tuna at the grocery store, and add it to a thing of cream cheese. Make it into a ball and spread the cocktail sauce over it. Dip with Ritz crackers, yumminess!

Best Answer

Mix one bottle with 32 oz of grape jelly, heat slowly over low heat until melted, throw in some cocktail wienies or small meatballs and heat through, great appetizer or party snack.

Best Answer

It's tasty as a stand alone dip for veggies like celery and jicama too. :-)

Best Answer

It is delicious with sausages; makes a nice change from HP or Ketchup.

Best Answer

It's a delicious add-in to tuna salad, or as a sauce for any kind of fish.

Best Answer

I put them on hashbrowns, or any type of eggs in the Am OMG it added the horseradish flavor with a pop. A new twist on even sunny side up eggs.

People look at me funny but really don't knock somthing before you try it.
Someone Betty Crocker had a deviled egg recipe I did it one morning because I ran out of ketchup and boom the flavor was a perfect marriage. Then more tang flavor the better, sweet tang and runny eggs YUM. I call that a Bloody Mess!
But a slice of toast mops it up real good.
Hash Browns with sauce, sausage and runny eggs with sauce with 2 slices of toast with strawberry jam on them.
I use the Heinz stuff but the louisiana is real good too.

honestly you can use it on anything you just put Ketchup.
Homemade is even better because you can add more horseradish.

What goes good with cocktail sauce besides shrimp? I have a couple of bottles of cocktail sauce on hand and I didn't want to use shrimp. I just made a shrimp dish the other day.

Please help me out.

Answers

Best Answer

I have always loved fish with cocktail sauce. You can make a deep batter-fried fish and use the sauce on the fish.

Best Answer

Uses for Cocktail Sauce

• dip for raw vegetables
  • Pizza sauce
  • Topping for meatloaf
  • Topping for pasta
Best Answer

I use mine to dip french fries in (I am not a ketchup fan, but love cocktail sauce--the horseradisher the better).

It is also good with sour cream (mix together with it--I don't measure--but --equal proportions of each--if you like it strong or 1/2 cocktail and 3/4 sour cream if you like it milder, and use as a dip for potato chips or spread on crackers or add a dollop as in cheese, cracker, cocktail/sour cream mix.

I use it to top hamburgers (in place of ketchup) and in meatloaf.

Basically (to me) if you have a recipe where you use ketchup, you can use cocktail sauce).

I send in tips quite frequently and now I am on the other end and am asking for your help.

I have in my possession 2 bottles of shrimp cocktail sauce, but it will not be used for shrimp nor any other type of seafood. Might any one out there have a suggestion as to how I may use the sauce rather than throw it out? Thanking you in advance for any info you can offer me.

joesgirl

Answers:

You could put it on burgers in place of ketchup if you eat meat. Or use it to dip french fries in. I love it it with french fries. You can also use it as a dip for veggies. (06/11/2004)

By Dan

I've made a sauce for sweet and sour meatballs by melting together a bottle of chili sauce and one of grape jelly. Sounds weird, tastes great! I'll bet this would work, too., P.S. I like cocktail sauce on fish sticks. You could give it to food bank. (06/11/2004)

By Linda

You can use cocktail sauce to make a great dip for veggies and/or chips. Just add it to cream cheese which has been brought to room temperature. You may choose to add some finely chopped onion or finely chopped dried beef, or both to make a heartier dip or spread.

If all else fails, give it to a fish-loving friend, or trade it to her or him for catsup or something you do like.
Don't throw it away.
Best regards,
(06/14/2004)

By Julia

Cocktail sauce is often basically just a mix of ketchup (or tomato sauce and sweetener) and horseradish. I often add a bit of horseradish to sloppy joes, taco meat, chili, BBQ meats, and bean casseroles. I think I've added cocktail sauce to all of them at some time or another.

Cocktail sauce can also be used in homemade salad dressings that call for ketchup. It will just have a bit more zip than usual.

Mix cocktail sauce with shredded cheese, finely chopped onion, green pepper, and a bit of mayo and use as a filling for celery sticks, in dried beef roll-ups, as a spread on tea sandwiches, and in tortilla wraps that you slice into pinwheels for appetizers. (06/14/2004)

By Coleen

Give it to a foodbank to use in a basket to feed the needy during the holidays. (06/14/2004)

By Joanne

If you like Bloody Mary, or Virgin Mary cocktails, I add a little cocktail sauce to mine to give it a little zing. (06/14/2004)

By Jackie S.

Mix it into your meat mixture for meatballs or meatloaf. I use up the last little bit in a bottle of almost any condiment for this purpose! (06/21/2004)

By Becki in IN

It's also a great dipping sauce for chicken nuggets (or, in my case, the no-meat kind!). (01/04/2005)

By JustMe

Use it as a sauce for the little wieners at parties. Mix with one jar of grape jelly. Let the hot dogs simmer. (05/28/2007)

By MandyLou

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJuly 8, 2020
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Alternative-Uses-for-Shrimp-Cocktail-Sauce-3.html