Pasta Sauce Recipes

Category Sauces
Pasta or spaghetti is enhanced by the addition of a creamy or savory sauce. Alfredo and marinara are the most familiar sauces but there are many variations.

This is a multi use pasta sauce made from tomatoes frozen from my garden bounty. Economical, easy to make, and more flavorful than store bought. I remove seeds from my tomatoes before freezing for smoother sauce.

• 1 gallon frozen tomatoes (or 4 large cans crushed tomatoes)
  • 3 minced garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. basil
  • 1 Tbsp. oregano
  • Seasonings can be adjusted to suit taste

Directions:

Thaw tomatoes, puree in blender. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until crisp tender. Using a large dutch oven saucepot, add tomatoes, seasonings and sauteed garlic and onions.

Heat on medium to boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for at least 2-3 hours, stirring every 15-20 minutes.

At this point, if thicker consistency is desired, remove lid and up heat to medium , stirring until more liquid is absorbed. The longer this simmers the better it is.

When done you can either jar into quarts and process according to jar manufacturer directions, or let cool completely and ladle into quart freezer bags and freeze.

Add hamburger or other meats to sauce before serving. Great on any pasta dish!

Servings: 12 -1 cup servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Minutes
Cooking Time: 3 Hours

By Cheryl from Trinity, NC

Top Comment

I grow most everything we eat during our summer months. Unfortunately, in Montana we do not have much of a growing season. With that said, with vegetables that do great, we grow plenty and then freeze them. Tomatoes are one of those items. However, I have never made pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes.

I made sauce before but used canned tomatoes. So I was concerned with having frozen tomatoes. Well, I chose this recipe due to the title stating "frozen tomatoes". I must say this a winner. It has only been cooking for maybe an hour; delicious. This will be my go to pasta sauce from now on. Thank you for posting.

Never buy prepared pasta sauce! They are expensive, very loaded with unhealthy items, and very bland. You always have to add extras to make it taste like "your own". So why pay $3-5 for a jar of tomato product? You can buy tomato paste/sauce/dices etc for less than $1 and throw in mushrooms and spices, all for around $2-3 total without all the additives. If you want alfredo, why pay the same $3-5 for gross tasting "alfredo"? You can buy a bag of shredded Italian cheese (mix cheese or fresh parmesan or asiago) and melt it in a pint of heavy cream. Again, it will run about $3 but VERY tasty.

I hate jarred pasta sauce!

By Becca from NY

This page contains tips and recipes for making spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes.

Photo of a pan with homemade spaghetti sauce in it.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Pasta sauces come in all flavors and ingredient combinations. If you are looking for one containing meat give one of these a try.

A macaroni dish with a hearty meat sauce.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Alfredo sauce is a favorite non tomato based sauce for pasta. It's rich creamy texture and flavor make it a excellent Italian style sauce when served alone or with additions such as chicken, seafood, or vegetables.

This page contains recipes for homemade Alfredo sauce.

Fettuccine Alfredo on a blue and white plate.

Food and Recipes Recipes SaucesFebruary 18, 2017
🎃