White Bugs in My Horse Feed Bins

I want to know about weevils. I think I have them in my horse feed bins? They are tiny white things and they move. What are they? How do I get rid of them? Are they harmful to the horses if they eat them?

Thanks,
Danielle

It sounds like you might have maggots, hatched fly eggs, more prone to be in a sweet feed. Weevils are brown and crawl, check the bags of feed you have also. It is not a good idea to feed any animal insect infested feed or moldy feed. Weevils came out of the grain product when it is bagged hot or it is in bags and the weather gets warm. Hope that helps. I know this sounds gross but if cereal or any product sits too long in a pantry shelf it can hatch weevils.

If the feed came from the supplier that way, take it back. If it is happening after you put it in your feed bins, throw it out. Do not feed it to your animals. Clean your bins and dry well before storing more food in them. Be sure your lids are put on tightly. I hope this helps.

I have them too, if it's what I have then they aren't maggots (they are worm like) these are more insect like. Weevils are also worm like. I think I'm going to take the feed back to supplier and ask them.

Anybody else seen them?

M

Do an internet search on food grade Diatomaceous Earth. It is for animal and HUMAN consumption. You can buy it at the Tractor Supply in the Livestock supply area. Make sure it is food grade and NOT the type you use in swimming pools. It will work to deworm animals of all types and even humans. It is perfectly safe and will get rid of weevils in feed but won't hurt your horses or livestock. It will kill fleas...it works for a number of issues regarding pests but will not hurt people or animals. Check it out so you know how much to use.

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMarch 11, 2008
Horse Eating from Feed Bag
Saving Money on Horse Feed
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Rocking Horse
Recycled Rocking Horse Craft Ideas
🎉
🎄