Disposing of Burnt Out Light Bulbs

Place blown-out light bulbs in a baggie before throwing them away. If it is accidentally crushed, the pieces won't tear the garbage bag.

By GrammySheila

Editor's Note: This tip is for traditional incandescent bulbs. Be sure to take CLF or LED bulbs for proper recycling.

If crushed wouldn't the broken glass break the baggie too? Maybe put it into an empty box of some sort, for example, a macaroni & cheese or milk carton instead? I don't worry about it, I just put the light bulb in the middle of the bag of garbage and have never had a problem with it crushing and breaking the garbage bag.

Instead of throwing your old light bulbs out, you can use them to make Christmas ornaments. I've seen some cute ideas for making Santa's and snowmen on some of the different craft sites.

If anyone is interested in about 50 burnt out lightbulbs to use for ornaments, I have some. Thought I would get around to making them but I havent.

What happens to lightbulbs once they reach the landfill?

I don't think that putting broken bulbs in a macaroni and cheese box is a good idea! Mainly because the box itself should be recycled not thrown in the garbage. If anything, I would suggest putting it in a laundry soap box, as they are not recyclable.

By GrammySheila (Sheila Saey)

Seems as though putting your no longer useable light bulb in a cereal box OR a brown lunch bag would be better. Seems as though the ziploc bag would also tear if the bulb is broken.

I would be interested in your light bulbs that you have. tff3619446 RE: Disposing of Burnt Out Light Bulbs

Cherie (Guest Post) 2005-02-22

If anyone is interested in about 50 burnt out lightbulbs to use for ornaments, I have some. Thought I would get around to making them but I havent. I have been making snowmen out of them.

Email me please.

thank you

ucmelaffn @ aol . com

I always put them in a plastic container before I dispose of them. For this purpose I keep the empty containers from cleaning wipes, baby wipes, whipped cream tubs etc. near the recycle can in the garage. I also use them for disposing of any broken glass.

I have MANY light bulbs that are still good. I have replaced by lights with CFL's and don't know what to do with all of my bulbs that are good.

Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Organizing Garbage and RecyclingDecember 21, 2004
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎄