New Leather Coat Smells Bad

I ordered a leather coat, and it smells terrible. I love the smell of leather, but this is not it. Can I fix this?

Marge from Knoxville, IA

You didn't say where you bought it and if it can be returned. I'd say if there's a return policy, just go return it! I don't think you should have to try making it smell better.

The leather has probably been poorly cured. Send it back.

A leather expert told me that many leathers are tanned in horse urine, and "some smell worse than others". I'd take it back to the place I bought it and FAST before Winter sets in. If not possible, I'd send it to a GOOD leather cleaner and take a chance on it being ruined! Afterall, you probably won't wear it as it is anyway, right? I'm not one for tossing anything

unless it smells really bad. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but perhaps the cleaning will help or he will have a solution. Sometimes a silicone waterproofing will also give it a "CHEMICAL" smell, is that the kind of smell? If not, try spraying it with a can of that sold for leathers (NOT SUEDES) at leather

stores and shoe stores. It's about $ 8.00 or so, but

likely worth it to you. Spray and smell IT before you

buy it. Each brand smells different, some BETTER than others! LOL Good luck and God bless you.

New Leather Jacket
Removing Smells From New Leather Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherSeptember 5, 2006
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄