RefrigeratorAppliances

How Do I Clean the Condenser Coils on a Maytag Refrigerator?

I have a Maytag French door refrigerator that is freezing my produce. The owner's manual tells me to clean the condenser coils, but it doesn't tell me where they are or how to do it. There were no similar questions in the 3000+ previously asked questions.

The back of the frig is enclosed so there's no access there, but there is a small faceplate under the floor of the frig, is that where they are? How do I get the faceplate off? It doesn't just pull off, but there are no screws that I can find holding it in place. And do I vacuum these coils or maybe use an air compressor with blower unit attached? Any help here will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

By Sandy from Bandon, OR

I would contact Maytag through the phone or with an e-mail and ask them. Or go to your local Maytag dealer and ask them. Some models do not need cleaning. If you do not have access to the coils, yours may be one of them.

This reticular (side by side) should under go cleaning.

Under the refrigerator doors is a face plate held by clips. Remove the face plate (on the left of this is cartridge for water that has its own cover ). Get a flash light and look in to the exposed cavity. Your should see atlas 3 rows of coils. If you have never cleaned they would be dirty. There are brushes available for cleaning although i find difficult as brushes are larger than the distance between loops of the coil. To clean just use vacuum cleaner with a wand. Alternate ( if you have ) would be use of compressed air.

There is a brush made specifically for this; I have one I use. There should be a plate at the bottom of the fridge that just snaps off. After you get it off run the brush back and forth between the coils and the brush collects all the "stuff". Check a hardware store and I think you'll find one. It's a long skinny brush.

Thank you all very much for the info!! Found the brush at the local hardware store, finally got the faceplate off thanks to the people at said hardware store, and cleaned those dratted coils. Woo hoo! Now we'll see if that fixes the problem. if not, I'll be back for more info. S