Browsing: Uses for Light Bulbs (Incandescent)

Creative Uses For Empty Light Bulbs

I have empty light bulbs, just normal 60W bulbs with the inside pulled out. The end is open, and I was wondering what I could do with them. Any ideas? I thought about making a candle, inside the upside-down bulb, but there's not enough oxygen that gets into it. Any ideas would be appreciated! I'm sure there's something really cool I could do with them.

Steph

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

How about hanging them with a simple macrame type hanger and using them to root cuttings-fill with water .

If they're the clear variety, you could stuff them and make Christmas ornaments.

Come to think of it, even if they're white and not clear, you could decorate the outside and make Christmas ornaments.

I remember an idea from my youth where an empty light bulb could be used for an inexpensive flask for science experiments.

I also made a small terrarium from one back then.

RoD

I am curious how you got the metal end off of the bulb without breaking the glass, and, more important, why. I have a couple dozen used light bulbs, I am looking for craft ideas of things to make with the bulbs. I am wondering if hot glue from a glue gun will make the bulb explode.

FL29erod @ aol.com

my aunt made me a doll back in the 70's with a light bulb & a glass coca-cola/soda bottle (the type of doll you'd display only). the bulb was the head with a painted face & glued on yarn hair -- the body was the bottle which she also painted & dressed with fabric scraps. she attached the 2 with glue -- I was a Raggedy Ann fan, so she looked liked Raggedy.

what can i do with a light bulb

This sounds a bit like when I was six years old. At school we made Christmas tree decorations that were supposed to be filled with candy. We were told to use colourful paper and fold and cut it in a special way, and then wrap it around an empty toilet paper roll. Us kids didn't react, but my mother threw the disgusting thing away!

There are some things that should be recycled rather than reused.

How did you get the bulb empty I want to make a flower pot with it.

To answer a question many of you asked, you can use a small craft saw to carefully saw off the bottom off the metal screw end. Just be sure not to saw it at an angle, and be sure do it at the end, just above the 'point'. If you do this correctly you will not break the vacuum in the bulb. There are two very thin wires that need to be broken, a simple twist of the cap will do that for you. I was lucky and was able to break the glass cleanly within the metal screw, so it was hidden. Then I carefully chipped away so of the excess glass and coated the sharp edge with a layer of hot-glue. Worked like a charm, now I can't cut myself!

Also, another tip: If you DO have a white bulb, do not worry, once you have broken the seal of the bulb and removed the glowing filament, run some water into the bulb, the white removes almost instantly! Now you have a clean clear bulb to craft into something creative.

Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/2578200168/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/2578200082/

Hope you find this helpful!

-Jonathan Lombardo (JPL3k)

About the lightbulbs, I just saw them hanging upside down with flowers in them. Maybe you could also root plants in them too, hanging from limbs in the trees. Don't know about making candles, hopefully someone does for that sounds cool.

Uses for Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A recycled vanity lightbulb with a snowman face painted on it.
Uses for Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Crafts Recycled CraftsOctober 12, 2004
scatter of Christmas light bulbs
Uses for Christmas Light Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 2:25:07 PM on 10.0.1.214 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.