Child Support and SSDI

I have 2 questions. First, I have a small child who is disabled and I receive SSDI and I'm his payee. Now I just recently filed for child support, I want to know if the child support will affect or interfere with his SSDI?

My second question is, since I'm the payee, his father is trying to do the same. Is he able to do that? How many payees can there be?

By Mayra

Definitely, any type of income will affect your SSDI payments. Only one Payee is allowed/named for a child.

These are questions you should ask your local Social Security office to be sure but I doubt very much that collecting child support for your child is going to make much of a difference for the amount your child receives for their disability. Disability is a completely different issue than the non-custodial parent paying his/her fair share to pay for basics needs such as housing, food and clothing that they would have to pay for anyway.

As for the father trying to be the payee (or co-payee) that too is a question for S.S. but that too is highly unlikely unless he is the custodial parent which, since you're filing for child support, he obviously is not the custodial parent. He's just trying to get control and possibly keep from paying his fair share of supporting the child.

Please go to your local SS office and sit down with a case worker to let them know everything that's happening. They will do their best to help you and will tell you the truth.

I agree completely with Deeli

Go to your local Social Security Office and present all your questions to them. I was in a some what similar situation and benefitted from just asking them outright.

Don't take the advice on this from anyone except SSDI. They will see that you get every penny you have coming to you. Some people think they are out to prevent people from getting benefits but this is not true. They are the only ones who have all the answers and are in a position to help you.

Just an FYI, before I started drawing my social security at 65 I make a trip to my local SS office. I was married to my husband for 19 years and am now divorced. When I asked if I could draw more by collecting on half of my former husbands the young lady behind the desk said "Oh No, you can't draw his". I knew better and told her so; she left her station and came back saying "you're right, you can". So question, then question again, and again by calling and asking more than on person.

Check out the Social Security Administration website. Search for SSI Income Reporting. It's a long list, says child support has to be reported as income if you have a disabled child.

Yes I can tell you from experience that it will come out of the payment until they reach a certain age. It isn't really fair though, is it?

If you have a child with a disability that will be lifelong, then make sure you ask the judge for lifelong child support that doesn't end when he or she gets to be an adult.

Child Support Payments and Social Security, Paper entitled Child Support Hearing.
Child Support Payments and Social Security
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJanuary 15, 2011
Family law folder on desk
Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support?
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
child support paperwork
Are Siblings Accountable for Back Child Support?
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits