Thawing Frozen Bread

If you take advantage of surplus bread stores and freeze bread, it's a very economical way to have good bread anytime you want it. This tip has more to do with thawing bread.

As frozen bread thaws, the moisture that has accumulated at the bottom of bread loaves, rolls, etc. you've frozen will remain at the bottoms and make the bottoms slightly damp. Just remember to turn the bread over several times during the thawing process which will redistribute that moisture and you won't end up with "damp" bottoms.

I thaw bread on its side - first one and then the other, and end up with the bread resting on its top. No more damp bottoms, and your bread will stay nice and soft much longer. The same applies to bread that you've made yourself.
Pookarina

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Excellent tip. I thaw my in my dish strainer. I also save bread bags and double bag them before freezing. They seem to stay fresher tasting this way.

Thanks for sharing.

Good idea, I never thought about turning my bread as it thaws. Thanks again, Pookarina!

Well, a really good hint, since all my bread is from the Entemann's Outlet store! This will be really useful for me. I also like Keeper's hint to double bag the bread. Thank you, ladies!

I've often had a dampness on the bottom's of bread loaves that were frozen then thawed. I figured it was because the bread was packaged before it was thoroughly cooled, and there was dampness in the bag. I'm going to thaw your way and see if it helps. I don't like to waste the bottom crusts of breads by having to cut them off.

This is a good tip. Thank you so much.

StarWarsCollector

Great tip Pookarina, thanks! I can vouch for you that it works! My frozen bread used to be soggy on bottom & too dry on top until I learned to what you suggested. It seems to help also (if it's not hot & humid, to open the bag a bit while it thaws. I also save my bread bags & double bag the loaves.

Hmmmmm. I'm hoping that I can remember to do this. So often, I've had to just cut off the bottoms of bread slices because they were soggy. What you say makes a lot of sense, and will end up saving me almost half a loaf of bread more times than I can count.

Thank you so much.

MisMachado

Awesome Idea! I'll remember this for the next time thaw bread.

I have often just cut off the entire bottoms of frozen bread for this very reason, and it's so simple, you'd think I'd have thought of some other way. We do buy bread at the surplus store, and often the wrappers show signs of moisture as if the bread had been packaged before it was entirely cooled. So when it's thawed, all that moisture goes to the bottoms of the bread. I guess it'd go to the top if that's the way it was frozen and thawed. I can't believe I wasn't paying attention to something that was right there in front of my eyes.

Thank you so much for your help. Thumbs Up for sure.

HokeyPoke

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadMay 28, 2011
Frozen Meat
Cooking Frozen Meat
A frozen outdoor water faucet.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Frozen Veggies
Thawing Frozen Veggies
🎄
🍂