Thawing Frozen Pipes

When we lived in a mobile home years ago, our water pipes were exposed under the trailer. The first year we were there we didn't know about heat tape so our pipes froze. Since they only freeze in one area, we had to find the frozen part. To find the exact area that is frozen, take a wet cloth and run along the pipe. When you see crystals form on the pipe you've found the spot.

Simply turn on the tap and heat the area with a hair dryer. It will thaw the ice and the water will run again without breaking the pipe. Prevention of course is heat tape, insulation, and, if at or below freezing is expected at night, then keep the water running in all faucets slowly.

By Myst from Muncie, IN

5 More Solutions

As already mentioned above home frozen pipes could be thawed with the help of a hair dryer. However below follow some useful alternatives:

I forgot to insulate my pipes before the temperatures dropped. See how I fixed my big mistake without it costing me an arm and a leg.

If your water pipes freeze and you have no torch, try a hair dryer to thaw them out or even a heating pad. By Robin

The blizzard that hit Missouri froze our pipes. We were told to just replace all the water lines. We don't know where to start.

By patricia c fraer from Willow Springs, MO

Answers

First you call a plumber and get estimates. Several. We had all our dirty water pipes replaced last Nov. we had a leak that ran up our water bill something awful, these were the original pipes, we replaced them all $4,500,but we will never have to worry about a leak there again and years ago we had the clean water pipes replaced, every time you get a leak it cost money for them to find them $$$$ and that can add up depending on how many you have, and how often The pipes they use now are made of PVC and to last, and not the kind they used years ago. good luck.but only a plumber can help you
Linda in Texas

Does your home owner's insurance cover this loss? With such a big job sounds like you need a plumber. Make sure he has a license and is insured. Don't pay until the job is done. Good luck to you.

Freezing can cause hair line fractures in the pipes, which will leak sometime in the future. I think the answer lies in do you know how to do the work yourself, and do you have the time.

I would definitely replace all the pipes, as it will save you future headaches.

I forgot to mention. Once you have repaired the pipes cover all the pipes with the pipe insulation available at home depot or lowes. That will help prevent any breakage due to cold weather. If it gets really cold again, leave an incandescent work light on in the area where your pipes are located. The light bulb will generate enough heat to keep the pipes warm.

Anonymous

I left my water running last night and got up this morning, made coffee and did 2 loads of laundry now my pipes are frozen

Answer this Question

I left my water running last night and did 2 loads of laundry this morning and made coffee. Now my water pipes are frozen.

Answers

Use a blow dryer to thaw out the pipes. Move it slowly along the length of the pipe.

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJanuary 25, 2013
🌻
🐰
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Thawing-Frozen-Pipes.html