Cutting Up a Grapefruit

How do you cut up a grapefruit? I've been peeling them (like you do a orange) and making a mess at work. Any suggestions?

By Onesummer

I cut them in half, horizontally, then take something like a paring knife and loosen each section, then use a spoon and eat a section at a time.

I do the same as redhatterb: cut in half and then take a small paring knife and cut on each side of the membrane on the sections and then at the back of each of those sections on the rind edge and use a spoon to eat.

We used to have official grapefruit spoons with serrated edges...they used to work to an extent but made the juice squirt out wildly. When done eating I always squeeze it to get any remaining juice.

If you are eating them at work you could do all the cutting ahead of time and take the half/halves to work in a tupperware type container.

I prefer the pink grapefruit but will eat the yellow. I eat them two ways: 1. peel like an orange, can eat as it, or put on a plate and sprinkle lightly with sweetner or sugar. 2. I cut them in half, then again, again, and one more time. Depending on size, will have 8 if halved three times, or 16 pieces if halved 4 times. I just eat one at a time, putting piece in mouth and sucking all the juice out, then biting all the fruit off the skin.

Try rolling the grapefruit in between your hand and the counter. It loosens the skin from the fruit and makes peeling a snap!

Here's a new one my mom taught me: Put the grapefruit on the cutting board with the stem facing up (towards the ceiling.) Imagine where the core is (where all the seeds are) and make a cut, just to the right of the core, from top to bottom. Turn 1/4 turn and do this again. You do this a total of 4 times and end up with the core and seeds separated from the fruit! Then, take the remaining pieces and slice them into wedges. You can leave the fruit attached to the skin and bite the fruit off ( like when you were a kid) or, you can run a knife under the fruit between the fruit and skin and have all the fruit removed. Once you do it, you'll never do it any other way! :)

My Mom used to make "smiles" out of oranges, then drizzel them with honey.

I also like them broiled, cut in half, sprinkle with brown sugar and broil a minute or two until the sugar melts...

My daughter cuts them in half, sprinkles with sugar and digs the fruit out and eats it.

Don't forget: if you're on any blood pressure medication, don't eat grapefruit or drink the juice at all... it can counter the medication.

They sell a grapefruit knife that you cut the grapefruit in half with a regular knife, then cut between each section & cut around the outer edge of the fruit with the grapefruit knife. They also sell a grapefruit spoon that the end is serrated to help you get all of the fruit from the sides. I sprinkle mine with splenda.

34 second video  26 seconds to completely cut up a grapefruit

I've never seen it done this way. Here is a great way to cut up a grapefruit that lets you easily eat the entire grapefruit  including the internal skin that surrounds each segment. If you watch the clock, that was 26 seconds from first cut to perfect pieces of grapefruit.

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJanuary 13, 2010
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
grapefruit on branch with a slice in foreground
Growing Grapefruit from Seed
Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
Storing Grapefruit
Dried Grapefruit Orange and Lime Slices
Drying Grapefruit