Recovered Cat Scratcher

I recently purchased the Emery Cat Scratcher. After receiving it, my cats were not the least interested and I was worried they could accidentally pull a nail out. I tossed the cardboard insert and thought about how to reuse the scratcher. I decided to try to use carpet pieces to reuse it as a scratcher for my kitties. I hate to throw anything useful away!

Supplies needed:

• Carpet pieces (not loop-styled, cats can catch their nails on the loops)
  • Utility knife
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Glue sticks for glue gun
  • Catnip

I purchased my carpet remnant at a dollar store. I measured and used the utility knife to cut the carpet to fit. Be sure to be careful with the utility knife! You might want to put a folded newspaper underneath the scratcher while cutting (I have a nice gash in the floor now - Oops!). I then applied the hot glue to the scratcher and pressed the carpet down onto the scratcher. I tugged to be sure it was secure, and then I sprinkled it with catnip. The kitties tested it out and gave it their approval.

By hoptownracer1 from USA

Recovered Cat Scratcher

This sounds like a good idea but am having a problem understanding. A picture would help a whole lot. But it's good that you didn't get loop carpet. I also hate to throw away anything useful too.

I was told never to use carpet on anything for a cat to scratch on. It teaches them it is OK to use the real carpet to scratch and they can ruin your real carpet. Rough rope would have been better. That is what is on my cat's scratchers.

Recovered Cat Scratcher

I haven't had a problem with the cats scratching where they aren't supposed to be scratching. They are pretty good furbabies. I hope this picture helps.

Here is another picture.

I added in the photos to the main post, I don't know why they were posted originally. Sorry about that.

Pets CatsMay 12, 2010
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Happy New Year Sign
Celebrating New Year's Eve
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Back Scratcher
Back Scratcher Ideas
🎄
🍂